Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
May 24, 2018, 10:58:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Driven Sprocket  (Read 2630 times)
Gibbo_3k

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:01:34 PM »

The time had come to replace my chain and sprockets.

(In case any one is curious I found my CB1 chain and sprockets on wemoto)

All was going well till, alas, I discoverd I could not get the front sprocket off.
It just wont budge!

Also, i can't find anything in either service or owners manual about the front driven sprocket, so I can't be sure i'm even turning it the right direction.  At the moment i've been trying Anti Clockwise.

I'm scared to  do anything more as the bolt head is starting to get a bit chewed and tatty.
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q6/ian_giblett/misc/?action=view&current=P1130063.jpg

Please help, I need my CB1 for commuting.
Other wise its a loooong cycle. Shocked

Also, there is white paint on the head of the bolt, does that signify anything?  Huh

-Ian
Rusty

Finally! HondaCB1.org is here!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:22:08 PM »

The white paint is there from assembly from the factory. As the bolts get torqued to spec, they mark the bolts, so that the next shift does not retorque them again. Also to see if the bolt is backing out after use.

'89 CB1  "Butt Ugly"
'03  RC 51 SP2
It's fun and games until the "Lights" come on, then it's a "Sport"
clarkdw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:28:11 AM »

The sprocket bolt is right hand thread. It may have been installed with thread locker. If you have access to one, use a propane torch to warm up the bolt to about 250degrees F. That will soften the thread locker enough to remove it.

Hot is enough, NOT glowing or discolored.

Replace the bolt with a new original or an exact duplicate. If you reuse your original as it is your speedo will stop working shortly when the bolt wrecks the adapter that fits it to drive the cable.

The manual calls for 40 ft-lb torque on the bolt and warns you to make sure the bolt is lined up with the speedo adapter when you assemble it.

Unless I miss-counted your drive sprocket is 16 teeth. I don't know if you noticed but if you got a stock one (15 teeth) it will change your gearing and raise your revs on the highway.

Good luck with the work.

Clark

Run with the big dogs. 
Gibbo_3k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:17:05 PM »

Fixed it! Grin Grin Grin

The main problem was that the head of the bolt was quite chewed up, causing my sockets and spanners to get chewed up.

I didn't have propane torch  handy so I took it to a garage and they got it off with a pneumatic compactor.
I'm really happy it worked as visions of drilling it all out, rethreading and all kinds of other awkward scenarios had entered my mind.

I hadn't noticed that my front sprocket had 16 teeth.  My new one is a standard one with 15 teeth so it'll be intresting to see what the difference will be. 

Gibbo_3k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »

Gah, I spoke to soon Angry

The bolt has an AF thread and all shops in the UK are only metric.
damn damn damn

Oh well, looks like im cycling to work tommorow.
Gibbo_3k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »

I finally got a bolt!  In the end I had to goto a Honda dealer for it where they charged me 4.6 (Thats about $9) Embarrassed

Oh well, at least I'm back on the road now Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: