Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 13, 2017, 05:36:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So you need a new fuel pump/fuel filter/fuel line DIY with Pics  (Read 4365 times)
unclejemima

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »

So, your fancy OEM fuel lines are cracked from age.  Your trying to get the OEM fuel filter back in, but it just wont fit without kinking the lines.  Your frustrated because your fuel pump quit, and a replacement is discontinued.

Here is what I did.

Fuel pump from 1987 Honda TRX350 ATV.  Very common in Canada anyway, and less money than the OEM CB1 pump.  Its very similar, but one of the spigot (outlet) comes up at an angle.

To make everything work, I slightly bent the intake for the fuel pump up at about a 22degree angle, so it could easier accept the line from the petcock without kinking.

I used a fuel filter for a ride on mower, rate for 80hp and for a fuel pump.   It accepts 5/16 line, and is smaller than the oem unit in length, but still holds lots of fuel.

The outlet of the fuel pump goes straight up, so I bent it to approx 45degree angle to go to the carbs. 

Use line sizes as shown for no leaks.  The hardest part is the 1/4 line that has to fit over the 3/8 pipe connector midway to the carbs.  Best to take it off and do it on a bench.  I also used needle nose pliers stretch the line by putting the needle nose inside the hose, and opening the line to make the ID larger. 

Dont forget to fill the fuel pump first by opening the petcock, allowing fuel to go through fuel filter and into the fuel pump.  You must do this BEFORE you hook up the carb line (outlet on fuel pump).  I put a hose on the outlet of the fuel pump and then put the hose in a plastic bottle to prime the pump.  If you don't follow this step, the fuel seems to airlock and not get drawn into the fuel pump.

Make sure you open the doors for good ventilation as you will be spilling fuel :-)

As user "hardtimes" suggested, might be a good idea to get a 'solid-state' Facet Pump, as these are cheaper and never need to be replaced.  Had I know this, I would have probaly used it instead.  Looking forward to any install write ups that others may have with the 'solid-state' Facet Pumps.  Not sure how they would fit in the same area where the mitsubishi fuel pump resided before.

Dream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »

Thanks Uncle - bound to be useful to others besides me - if you have a link for the pump or it's part number i would be grateful. Regards
unclejemima

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »

Honda Fuel TRX350 Fuel Pump part #16710-HA7-672

I paid $147 CAD at my local dealer and they say they always keep them in stock
namfoh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »

Hi all, sorry to bump a very old thread. However I've found this to be the best write up I can find on the very issue that I'm having. I would just like the clarify before I go out and buy new hose, that all I'm doing is replacing the lines and filter with an oem filter and the stock pump is functional to my knowledge. I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing the 1/4" line is not the factory diameter, but is 5/16"? I thought it was 3/8" for all of it, but now I'm not sure. Anyone know by chance?

Thank you to unclejemima for the nice schematic and write up Smiley
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 04:56:46 PM »

Fuel lines are a bit of a bugger - fuel tap outlet is 10mm, the inlet and outlet for the pump are 8mm and the carb inlet is 10mm. Can't remember the inlet and outlet for the OEM filter as I just use off the shelf 'universal' filters from any parts place.
If you use 8mm neoprene hose rather than the run of the mill rubber hose, it will stretch to fit the 10mm fittings without splitting. You should be able to get this off eBay. Make the hoses longer than standard (making sure you keep them clear of the shock etc.) and you can then make more gentle curves in the hose.
If you want I can post up pics of how I did it on mine.
namfoh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »

Thanks Pod! I just read your post now, but I purchased some run of the mill 3/8" fuel hose. The part of your post that I wish I had read sooner is about cutting the lines longer. I couldn't get the lines on either side of the filter to fit without kinking, and I only bought 2 feet, so I had to put back two of the old lines for the time being. I would be interested in seeing your pics. I'm sure it'll help somebody else as well.

I'd also like to point out that it is wise to replace the factory pinch hose clamps with the screw-type clamps. Much easier to deal with and more reliable.
uglygit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »

you can buy new brush/ points kits for the c-1 fuel pump btw, and it is always worth checking the fuel pump relay as mine was causing over voltage to the fuel pump for some reason so I bypassed the relay.

The bike will run without the pump too if you bypass it, just means you can't use all of the reserve tank, the main tank is unaffected.

AKA
BCF- prawny1

400greybike- cannot log in forgot details and won't let me re use my email address Sad

hondacb1.co.nr- prawny1

hondacb1.org- uglygit
weid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »

I'm having the problem with my fuel lines. I'm trying to replace the broken ones with the metal covered brake lines but they are very hard to work with and I'm afraid pulling the tank off will be a major pain after I do get these working. My fuel pump is working fine, so not changing that can you shoot a pic of how the fuel line is routed? I saw the mention of 2 feet of line wasn't enough I assume we are talking from the fuel pump to the filter and then to the petcock. A vintage guy (ha not CB-1 vintage but real old vintage :-)) was telling me  to buy a bunch of hose and coil it up under the tank but that seems like it would be in the way of all kinds of things down there
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: