Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: My CB1 from Ireland  (Read 4454 times)
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »

Hi
I don't think I posted any photo's of my "1"
So here we go, got a bit of work done, new Hagon shock, S/S braided lines and fitted a Hepco & Becker rack.

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/CB1PAT/profile/

Hi CB1Pat, just recently joined this forum and found your lovely Mk2. Hoping you're still around bro to answer a few dimensional questions. I need to modify my seat on my Mk1 and hoping to get some inspiration from whatever they did to improve the ergonomics on the Mk2.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »

this "spc1" "spc2" MK1 MK2 discussion is most intriguing.
What are the exact tank capacities of both?
what are the exact difference that each of them have?
I know there a black SPC2 for sale here close by from a fellow who bought his over from Japan. Pretty clean CB1 and all. Even had this remote reservoir for the rear shock but not sure if that was part of the "SPC2" differences or not?

I'd like to know.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »

this "spc1" "spc2" MK1 MK2 discussion is most intriguing.
What are the exact tank capacities of both?
what are the exact difference that each of them have?
I know there a black SPC2 for sale here close by from a fellow who bought his over from Japan. Pretty clean CB1 and all. Even had this remote reservoir for the rear shock but not sure if that was part of the "SPC2" differences or not?

I'd like to know.

It's like a mystery novel isn't it VH?

What we need is access to the original Japanese specs and a translator. Well, if we can find spect in text form online, Google Translate should be capable of doing a decent enough job to make sense. The numbers will be logical at least, and the order they're listed in will hopefully help resolve any remaining confusion.

Even if we can get hold of images of the original Honda sales literature, we could use an OCR application to figure it out.

Time to contact Honda I think.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »

I suppose the question that comes to my mind is............why in the world would Honda create 2 subtle types of CB1s?
I mean, it's odd, and yes, it's like a murder mystery indeed.
If you think ok, they've created a CB2 from a CB1 type of specs and changed it up a bit that it's a totally different bike, say a CB2? but a "spec2" that is basically a CB1 with a tiny amount of a larger tank? A difference in engine coloration? And a puffier seat pad? seriously........Honda...WTF?

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 01:03:59 PM »

So...here's the link (I'm sorry to hijack this thread a bit but....) to the "Black" Spec2 Cb1.
if you notice...the left side full picture shows a "remote reservoir"? Not sure if this is part of the "differences" from the spec1 to the spec2 or if someone is just playin' mind games....and a good job at that.

http://www.hondacb1.org/forum/index.php/topic,5340.15.html

either way, that black SPC2 CB1 is super!

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 01:54:57 PM »

So...here's the link (I'm sorry to hijack this thread a bit but....) to the "Black" Spec2 Cb1.
if you notice...the left side full picture shows a "remote reservoir"? Not sure if this is part of the "differences" from the spec1 to the spec2 or if someone is just playin' mind games....and a good job at that.

http://www.hondacb1.org/forum/index.php/topic,5340.15.html

either way, that black SPC2 CB1 is super!

Fire away with anything and everything you have VH, I'm not territorial at all, and this whole thing is about learning through sharing and co operating isn't it? I'm sure I read that someone said the Mk2 had a reservoir. That may or may not be correct. Only Honda knows for certain I guess.

I'm not sure the upgrades to the aesthetics were the intention. If you consider that they tried without a huge amount of success to market the Mk1 in the USA (to the extent they had to reduce the price by $600 and export the surplus stock to Germany), it's highly likely the consumer feedback included: Tank capacity too small; seat too thin, too low, too close to bars.

The obvious solution is precisely what they've done to the Mk2 - but crucially WITHOUT changing the nature or character of the original concept. So, I'm suggesting the aesthetics are due entirely to the changes required to solve the ergonomic issues which I think are very real.

The fact that many other bikes have come out since, essentially taking the lead created by Honda with the Mk1 CB-1, suggests an explanation why Mk2s are so rare: they misread the market. Very few companies truly understand the markets they operate in, and know how to both innovate and launch trend setting products AND be the one to OWN that niche for any significant enough time to benefit financially.

The great exception is of course Apple. The iPod saved them. Though the trend began with the colour iMacs, had they not released the iPod, they would be nowhere today.

Honda made a colour iMac in the 'naked' CB-1, failed to realise what they'd done, and Ducati ended up owning the 'naked' crown only a few years later.

I hope this insight is helpful to one and all. Marketing was my game for many years. And I don't mean 'sales'. I mean I owned an as agency and marketing consultancy. I've also studied reverse engineered the pure genius that was the iPod business model to the extent I could lecture on it at Harvard - but I wouldn't. There are already enough assholes picking over the assumed lessons of Steve Jobs - often by misquoting him and totally missing EVERYTHING that his philosophy was about. End of lecture. If you ever hear of a sales 'guru' getting fed to the sharks in a zoo, he misused the Wayne Gretsky quote once too often!! ;-))

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »

Moderate:
you are spot on with this observation............"Very few companies truly understand the markets they operate in".

this holds true for most if not ALL industries.
I'm in the design field, architecture, and architects can't see their nose to spite their own faces....so they cut them off.

I'm amazed "anything" in this world ever gets anywhere considering the yahoos you have in charge within these organizations.

the CB1 was/is a great bike. It seems the "bigger is better" approach is what drives most products here in the U.S. Sure there are some niche cult-ish groups who can see value in the CB1. In its engineering marvel. In it's beautiful designs. Compactness, it's "sound" of the engine.....Yet, it only lasted 2 years.

I've got 8 short years to go before I say "F'off" to all my work. 8.....short.....years. After that, heaven help me in my quest for more CB1s. I digress. I usually do. Can't seem to keep a focused beam long enough....such is life.

Anyhow, this is a great topic. I encourage you to begin a new thread, perhaps labeled "CB1-Spec1 and Spec2 Differences"......so's we don't hijack this threat out of whack.
And yes, sharing and knowledge on this forum is primo!......thanks for your contributions.

CB1pat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »

Hi All
Sorry to say I had to let this CB1 go as after 2 knee replacements the prone position was just too uncomfortable for me, and I was not enjoying it so decided to let some other biker enjoy this lovely bike as it should be
So can't give exact sizes for things as I never had another CB1 side by side with mine but the discussion took place here a few times and from memory the consensus was only slight changes to seat tank exhaust and clip-ons and a few colour options

Oh my rides a 2013 Harley Fatboy now ....as the ride position just suits me better now and I just do a few trips when I can

Ps I do keep popping in here from time ..... to see what's going on

Pat   
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »

bummer CB1Pat.
sorry to hear. at least you didn't give up riding completely.
enjoy the hog.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »

Hi All
Sorry to say I had to let this CB1 go as after 2 knee replacements the prone position was just too uncomfortable for me, and I was not enjoying it so decided to let some other biker enjoy this lovely bike as it should be
So can't give exact sizes for things as I never had another CB1 side by side with mine but the discussion took place here a few times and from memory the consensus was only slight changes to seat tank exhaust and clip-ons and a few colour options

Oh my rides a 2013 Harley Fatboy now ....as the ride position just suits me bItter now and I just do a few trips when I can

Ps I do keep popping in here from time ..... to see what's going on

Pat   

Thank you for your comment Pat. I've reported you to the moderator on the grounds of CB-1 abandonment ;-)) Just kidding of course. All my work to get my bike sorted, it to accommodate my medical situation. Ancient injuries mean that my right foot doesn't bend up enough, my back doesn't work properly, and my right hip will need replacing at some point. But I'm determined to have some serious CB-1 fun before it gets too difficult.

Enjoy your Hog bro. I'm quite a fan of the work they do at Exel. That Fat Bloke looks like an option maybe one day. Anyway, I hope the new owner of your CB-1 shows up here one day.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »

Moderate:
you are spot on with this observation............"Very few companies truly understand the markets they operate in".

this holds true for most if not ALL industries.
I'm in the design field, architecture, and architects can't see their nose to spite their own faces....so they cut them off.

I'm amazed "anything" in this world ever gets anywhere considering the yahoos you have in charge within these organizations.

the CB1 was/is a great bike. It seems the "bigger is better" approach is what drives most products here in the U.S. Sure there are some niche cult-ish groups who can see value in the CB1. In its engineering marvel. In it's beautiful designs. Compactness, it's "sound" of the engine.....Yet, it only lasted 2 years.

I've got 8 short years to go before I say "F'off" to all my work. 8.....short.....years. After that, heaven help me in my quest for more CB1s. I digress. I usually do. Can't seem to keep a focused beam long enough....such is life.

Anyhow, this is a great topic. I encourage you to begin a new thread, perhaps labeled "CB1-Spec1 and Spec2 Differences"......so's we don't hijack this threat out of whack.
And yes, sharing and knowledge on this forum is primo!......thanks for your contributions.

This really is a huge topic VH. That issue of the quality of management is only the gateway to the MUCH BIGGER issues such as the Fed, illegal wars, fakestream media, debt slavery and the education system that programmes everyone from the age of four. So I guess we should leave it there. I will just add that I gained a rep for FIRING clients!! Others took them out to dinner and bought them theatre and Wimbledon tickets. I fired the bastards if they behaved badly!!;-) Didn't harm my business.

Jobs was a genius. We will never see the line of him again. I would have accepted any amount of bad behaviour from him. I actually closed my tech business down rather than deal with MS - who had just bought Skype who I needed as a primary strategic partner to make it work. Now I'm poor and on disability. But I have a clean conscience.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: