Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
July 27, 2017, 12:39:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Cafe Racer Project  (Read 6805 times)
3NCORE

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »

Hi guys,

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Mathieu (Mathew), I'm 21 and I'm French, so now let's apologize for the next english mistakes  Tongue.
I recently bought a CB-1 in order to get my ass back on a motorbike (I had an accident last year with my 600 Fazer and then decided to have a break) for about 350 (Yup, really) in very good state. About 28K miles. That one was imported from Germany and I don't know wether it was an american or japanese one before.

Since I love cafe racers, I chose to make one. I know this is gonna grind your gears, and YES, I am aware this is absolutely not the best base for a cafe, so let me tell you I'm sorry for this sacrilege too, but I'm already on my way. I make this topic to show you something original, and have some kind of online record of the progress.

Here come the pictures :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/49/1449068027-20151127-173103.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/49/1449068038-20151127-173311.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/49/1449068037-20151127-174420.jpg

Feel free to ask me questions, or to blame me for ruining that bike with unnecessary transformations (But I prefer questions  Wink )
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:10:02 AM by 3NCORE » Logged
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »

Congrats on getting back into motorcycling.
your bike, your decision.........so you better enjoy your build.
Interesting progress so far.
keep us posted.
and Welcome Wink

3NCORE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »

Thank you

Well, I'm pretty sure it will rock when finished, but I know the bike itself is "rare", especially in France, and I am dreading the reactions here. I understand people may struggle finding a CB-1 or CB-1 parts, and what I am doing to mine is litteraly the opposite so I'm expecting some cold reactions.

I ordered turn lights, plate holder, brake light and mirrors on Monday (From China - About 45 shipping inc.). Waiting for those new parts now. I'll keep the topic up do date ASAP.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »

don't base YOUR creation on what "others" will think or say.
Heck, if we all thought that way and lived our lives based on what "others" say or thought, nothing would get accomplished.
Do "build" the bike you want and so be it.
Thank you

Well, I'm pretty sure it will rock when finished, but I know the bike itself is "rare", especially in France, and I am dreading the reactions here. I understand people may struggle finding a CB-1 or CB-1 parts, and what I am doing to mine is litteraly the opposite so I'm expecting some cold reactions.

I ordered turn lights, plate holder, brake light and mirrors on Monday (From China - About 45 shipping inc.). Waiting for those new parts now. I'll keep the topic up do date ASAP.

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:06:18 PM »

Bienvenue mon ami!

I think you're going to be terribly disappointed. We all are enthusiastic about the CB-1 but I don't believe there's a man on the board who believes it to be a perfect bike or one so rare that it's sacrilege to chop any example up. If it were a pristine original model then perhaps it would be a shame... But you're going to take a typical used bike and make something special.

Build what you want, build it well, love it, and ride it. It's only a lump of metal and plastic and it's yours to do what you want!

Yours is an American import model. I believe that there was a lot of them which remained unsold in the states (why would they buy that instead of a cbr600?) and for some reason or other they shipped a few containers full over to Germany.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »

because Americans and I include myself in there at times, are too stupid to realize that there are some bikes that have "soul" and some that are just..eh.
.......(why would they buy that instead of a cbr600?)......

Andy T

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:10:52 AM »

Looks promising! As said above, it's your bike do what feels right! Smiley Keep us posted though!
stussels

Finally! HondaCB1.org is here!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:06:23 PM »

i agree with what everyone else has said.  do what you want!  i cut up my cb-1 too.  if it doesnt have super low miles and in perfect shape its nothing to feel too bad about.  im sure you have a image in your head of what youre going for and we would love to see it come together.  more pics!  just a little smaller though...

'90 CB-1
3NCORE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »

Thank you guys,

Talking about pics, here's what I ordered :

And here's what I planned for the paint job (I'm not a photoshop master  Grin) :

Still don't know about the tank, but I want to keep it simple, otherwise it's going to be too much. Or maybe I'll change my plans (I have another idea)

I don't have the bike at home, so I'll post more pictures on the week end. My friend told me he worked hard on the new frame tubes this week, and now he's trying to find solutions to keep it clear at the back, so we ordered a super small battery to fit under the seat. It's going to be much wire management now  Cheesy
faffi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 02:12:28 AM »

I just fitted the very same indicators to my Virago project Shocked

3NCORE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 02:53:19 AM »

Oh nice, I had not seen them on a bike, they look great  Grin

Another paint job that could be made :

faffi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 06:36:52 AM »

I think it would look good with a white stripe over the top and fender like this
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 10:20:08 AM »

is that "white stripe" off center?........Uggh....no like.
if anything at the very minimum, center the stripe.

3NCORE

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »

I really like the Ducati-like stripe, but as said above, in the center. Good idea.

Here are the new pictures for tonight, there was a lot of work during the week. We finally decided to keep the original battery. The wires will go between the metal plate & the seat, so nothing appears between the frame tubes underneath.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »

great progress.
now if I can only get "my" engine to run right Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: