Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 25, 2017, 05:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Cafe Racer Project  (Read 8108 times)
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »

Curios....WTH was in that big triangular area in the middle there? the "bat-tree"?
What's that black n gold next to CB? That ones nicely done too.
CB750F2, I saw another one café racer'ed locally. Looked nicely done. Surprising considering the look of the original bike.

3NCORE

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »

Hi

Here are the news

Fixed this (Many thanks for the ebay link)

And cleaned that

Now the CB is at a friends' place to get serviced. It's been a year and even if I didn't ride much (~3k Miles) I did nothing except chain greasing, refueling and a cooling liquid change.

It's gonna get new brake pads (rear + front), a full brake fluid replacement, oil/filter replacement and (I'm not sure about the english translation for that) a valve lash adjustment.

To be continued...
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:39 AM »

Your bike is well looked after 3NCORE, and I really like the style. I'm guessing you don't wear a hoodie like the posers in the other thread! Wink

Just 'valve adjustment' is fine, though adding 'lash' made me smile. Mine is an odd language with far too many words with similar meanings. I lived in Norway for a while, their vocabulary is very small and sounds simplistic by comparison. But being a lazy Brit, I still failed to learn it!

Nice work bro.
3NCORE

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2017, 08:14:35 AM »

A hoodie ? No thanks, I don't like my arms looking like a pizza after a potential crash. I'm wearing a proper bike jacket, proper bike shoes, helmet, gloves... And it's still not enough, my finger hurts like hell every morning since my accident last year.

Falling from a 400cc bike is basically the same as falling from an RSV4, so better be safe than injured.

Thanks for the language adjustment  Wink
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »

I like what you did but....(theres always that darn butt that gets in the way huh), the tail on that cafe-CB1 should have been angled a bit to make the lines of the tank/tail flow better but I'm not the one having to ride it. Nice work. i wish I could weld like that.
though.....that flat seat pan with 1/2 of foam has "gotta be" hell on balls to ride it like that....huh.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:43:10 PM by VintageHunter » Logged

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »

Here's a nicely done and angled just bout right cafe CB1

* IMG_1613.PNG (81.88 KB, 749x406 - viewed 45 times.)

* IMG_1613.PNG (81.88 KB, 749x406 - viewed 45 times.)

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2017, 01:44:20 AM »

VH you're offering opinion on your specific taste or preference regarding tails, which we happen to largely share. Though I'm struggling to see the difference in angle between your pic and 3NCORE's tail. To me they appear to be at virtually identical angles.

All you're suggesting 3NCORE has done here is not angle his tail enough - for your taste.

The difference between this and what I did on the other thread is that I pointed out actual errors, both of aesthetic design and more importantly, engineering design. They made actual errors. I pointed out that fact. The way I'm getting attacked for doing that is a bit ridiculous. I guarantee you won't get any flack for this comment, any more than you do for every time you point out all the tails that you consider to be too steeply angled - which again, opinions I share, but those are specific preference opinions similar to music of art preferences.

3NCORE's bike is not only very well looked after, he's clearly paid very close attention to all the engineering design and the aesthetics. Everything is very well balanced. My only issue would also be with the thin seat. But I'm not riding it. And he's not wearing a hoodie posing with it or claiming it's a style icon - even though it actually is, in a very genuine retro fashion.

3NCORE

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:36 AM »

Relax guys, this bike is not competing in anything else than the "Cafe Racer on a budget" category  Grin. It could be way better than that, but to be honest, if I had enough money back then, I would have chosen something more "Cafeable" like a 500 CX.

The only reason it actually looks good is because - as I told before, I think - I am absolutely not the only one behind this project. It involved a bunch of good - and skilled - friends of mine and each one offered me help and great ideas, resulting in this blue, two wheeled brain and skill mashup which we all are proud of.

Now this being said, huge thumbs up to those who make these kind of bikes all by themselves, because it involves such different skills. I spent hours on drawing/thinking/photoshopping when my welding master friend spent hours on welding, and when my engineer friend spent some time on electronics relocation too. So the guys who are making Cafes all by themselves deserve such an ammount of respect.

I am not skilled enough to pretend I solely made this. But that's why I love this bike too.

Now I can answer to the thin seat question. It's actually not that bad, at least it doesn't feel as hard as it looks, but I guess my small weight is part of the answer Grin
I used to ride for a hundred miles without feeling I needed to stop because of the seat. The main issue is the wind... since my hands are lower than the original position, I have to compensate with my neck to keep my head straight, and this way I take all the wind in the face, when I exceed 100MPH it clearly becomes uncomfortable.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »

Moderate:
I hear what you are saying. this too happened to me on that asshat Hawk forum. I stated "anything"......anything at all and as a friend of mine put it "you became the attack robot", they all went after you. "Attack, attack, Will Robinson...attack". It was so bad that they caused me to bascially leave the forum, which I hope doesnt' happen to you cause, well, you have good points to contribute.

with regards to the picture I posted of that cafe-ish CB1 with the tail similar to 3NCORES.....well, thats where the human brain takes over in a way that is hard to pin point. Meaning, in design, when you ever so slightly adjust an angle or a length or a color of what you are designing and makes it "look" better (looks only better to me that is) then you can see the subtle differences stand out and the human condition has no idea why one bike looks better than the other, if "better" can be classified. it's all subjective, yes. We went thru this in Design School in Architecture and I went thru it in 45 years of practice in the real world. But, bottom line is the person who owns what they have built is the one that has to live with it and the rest of the world can be envious or not.

And whats even more important is that the person who posts the photos of their design must understand that they wont please everyone. Some will like it, some will say "meh" and some will hate it. That's just life. as the saying goes "you cant please everyone all the time, you can please some of the people some of the time, but not everyone all the time".

So with that being said, we continue. Design what you want. Spend whatever moneys you want, paint the CB1 whatever color you want and just be happy we have the luxury we can indeed have a hobby like this. Not everyone can be so fortunate as us. Some folks wake up and try to figure out if they have enough money to give their kids some lunch that day...so count yer blessing and keep moving forward.

Oh, just one last thing.....just please, anyone reading this, don't use "wood" as a material for your motorcycle. theres something just unnatural about that. Wink

VH you're offering opinion on your specific taste or preference regarding tails, which we happen to largely share. Though I'm struggling to see the difference in angle between your pic and 3NCORE's tail. To me they appear to be at virtually identical angles.

All you're suggesting 3NCORE has done here is not angle his tail enough - for your taste.

The difference between this and what I did on the other thread is that I pointed out actual errors, both of aesthetic design and more importantly, engineering design. They made actual errors. I pointed out that fact. The way I'm getting attacked for doing that is a bit ridiculous. I guarantee you won't get any flack for this comment, any more than you do for every time you point out all the tails that you consider to be too steeply angled - which again, opinions I share, but those are specific preference opinions similar to music of art preferences.

3NCORE's bike is not only very well looked after, he's clearly paid very close attention to all the engineering design and the aesthetics. Everything is very well balanced. My only issue would also be with the thin seat. But I'm not riding it. And he's not wearing a hoodie posing with it or claiming it's a style icon - even though it actually is, in a very genuine retro fashion.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:30:51 AM by VintageHunter » Logged

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »

It's all good VintageHunter. I love the wood comment. Guess what this furniture designer is planning to do...? Yep, I'm playing around with a plan to use French curves to borrow from the shape of the tank, then make 2D and 3D profiles in thin plywood!

But don't worry, that's for the side profile and ass admiring squinting stage. Some real pros might then use clay to make a buck, but that might be going too far.

It seems to me that the tail needs trimming whatever type of bike you're building: cafe racer or streetfughter. I'm just not keen on destroying good or even repairable original tails to achieve that, not least because of their rarity. And the one on my latest acquisition is NASTY! It's badly cracked in several places, one of the lugs is missing, someone bolted a small alloy rack onto the top, and there's crash damage!!!

Moulding new concept tails is going to be a challenge. It may end up being necessary to make a full 3D buck in beech, then make a silicone mould and stiffen it with plaster of Paris. And since I hate fibreglass, I may need to learn carbonfibre. Who am I kidding? I WANT to learn carbonfibre Wink

THEN I'll invite everyone to critique it. Already scouting post industrial and other iconic locations for the photo shoot..Wink
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:34:46 AM by ModerateFkr » Logged
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »

Relax guys, this bike is not competing in anything else than the "Cafe Racer on a budget" category  Grin. It could be way better than that, but to be honest, if I had enough money back then, I would have chosen something more "Cafeable" like a 500 CX.

The only reason it actually looks good is because - as I told before, I think - I am absolutely not the only one behind this project. It involved a bunch of good - and skilled - friends of mine and each one offered me help and great ideas, resulting in this blue, two wheeled brain and skill mashup which we all are proud of.

Now this being said, huge thumbs up to those who make these kind of bikes all by themselves, because it involves such different skills. I spent hours on drawing/thinking/photoshopping when my welding master friend spent hours on welding, and when my engineer friend spent some time on electronics relocation too. So the guys who are making Cafes all by themselves deserve such an ammount of respect.

I am not skilled enough to pretend I solely made this. But that's why I love this bike too.

Now I can answer to the thin seat question. It's actually not that bad, at least it doesn't feel as hard as it looks, but I guess my small weight is part of the answer Grin
I used to ride for a hundred miles without feeling I needed to stop because of the seat. The main issue is the wind... since my hands are lower than the original position, I have to compensate with my neck to keep my head straight, and this way I take all the wind in the face, when I exceed 100MPH it clearly becomes uncomfortable.

3NCORE, to be rich in such gifted friends is a talent al by itself. It often takes a team to achieve greatness, and you truly have done here.

I understand what you're saying about the low bars position and the effect it has. It reshapes your whole body beyond that ergonomic sitting position. Only being a sniper is more uncomfortable. But on the track you're king.

This is why I'm going the streetfighter route for my mods. My high speed scratching days are in the breeze. I want to look out for the farm tractors over the hedges, and have a bit more handlebar control. I cleaned the car yesterday for three hours. Today I ache all over. I'm getting old! But I can look, and admire great work.. and dream Smiley

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »

I have nothing against using "wood" as form to eventually bend metal into submission. But, to use wood as "the" final product ON a motorcycle.......thats taboo and crosses my line of acceptable behavior in bike building.
it's almost as bad as burying a loved one in a sacred Indian burial ground and watching an abomination rise from the earth the morning after to come and slit your throat (movie reference, guess which one Wink

anyhoot, as my wise-old former boss/mentor used to say to me ".....with 75cents and my opinion you could buy a pack of gum"........

It's all good VintageHunter. I love the wood comment. Guess what this furniture designer is planning to do...? Yep, I'm playing around with a plan to use French curves to borrow from the shape of the tank, then make 2D and 3D profiles in thin plywood!

But don't worry, that's for the side profile and ass admiring squinting stage. Some real pros might then use clay to make a buck, but that might be going too far.

It seems to me that the tail needs trimming whatever type of bike you're building: cafe racer or streetfughter. I'm just not keen on destroying good or even repairable original tails to achieve that, not least because of their rarity. And the one on my latest acquisition is NASTY! It's badly cracked in several places, one of the lugs is missing, someone bolted a small alloy rack onto the top, and there's crash damage!!!

Moulding new concept tails is going to be a challenge. It may end up being necessary to make a full 3D buck in beech, then make a silicone mould and stiffen it with plaster of Paris. And since I hate fibreglass, I may need to learn carbonfibre. Who am I kidding? I WANT to learn carbonfibre Wink

THEN I'll invite everyone to critique it. Already scouting post industrial and other iconic locations for the photo shoot..Wink

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »

You gotta love HollyWeird metaphors VH

"MOMMEEEE"

Did you know Trump was prophesied in multiple TV shows as far back as the '60s? Google: Trump + Simpsons for a more recent example that precisely predicted an actual scene.

That one will likely lead you to the black art that is gematria. Now THAT'S deep Jerry Spacetiger.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »

in 1999 President Trump spoke about NOKO where he stated we need to stop this and now.........and "NOW" is upon us. Don't blame the man who wants to turn sand into glass, blame his predecessor for not having the stones to recognize what our current President saw coming almost 2 decades prior.
You gotta love HollyWeird metaphors VH

"MOMMEEEE"

Did you know Trump was prophesied in multiple TV shows as far back as the '60s? Google: Trump + Simpsons for a more recent example that precisely predicted an actual scene.

That one will likely lead you to the black art that is gematria. Now THAT'S deep Jerry Spacetiger.

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »

How do you get from a Frenchman's custom bike to DJ trump and north Korea?

Could you two start a political thread and keep this in it? Or just DM each other? It's really nothing to do with the thread or the forum.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: