Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
April 07, 2020, 03:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Frustrating starting problem still happening  (Read 25508 times)
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 05:13:58 AM »

That is a good shout on the kill switch connections, didnt think of that! I'll have a look this weekend. Are there any other suspect connections I might've missed? I cleaned the earthing points (starter and rectifier areas if I remember)

Hey bobby, that's interesting yours is doing a similar thing, I'll let you know how it goes with the battery change.

Sixdog yeah that was my understanding too that startup and idle circuit is controlled by the air mixture screw / pilot jet, with the choke restricting air-flow to enrich the fuel to air mixture for cold starts.
bobbyp66

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »

James -

I'm a little embarrassed to say so, but a new battery fixed my starting problem (prior post).

It sounded like it was cranking fast enough with the old one, but I did notice it would slow down after a couple tries. I swapped a new battery off another bike and it fires up consistently on the starter now.

Your problem may be different, but don't underestimate the battery!  Most places will test them for free.

Good luck!
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 09:54:37 PM »

Same for my VFR. the battery would crank over 2 or 3 times, then it would not crank Over anymore.
Good luck.
James -

I'm a little embarrassed to say so, but a new battery fixed my starting problem (prior post).

It sounded like it was cranking fast enough with the old one, but I did notice it would slow down after a couple tries. I swapped a new battery off another bike and it fires up consistently on the starter now.

Your problem may be different, but don't underestimate the battery!  Most places will test them for free.

Good luck!

JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »

Glad to hear yours is sorted bobby!

I bought a new Yuasa this weekend, charged and fitted, along with cleaning out the kill switch terminals. Seems to be firing up nice and strong now, so hopefully that'll cure it! Back at work tomorrow so thatll be the test.

I pulled the plugs today and they looked a good golden brown colour and also had a go at balancing the carbs now the new exhaust is fitted, the bike is running a lot smoother on idle now and is more responsive at low rpms.

Cheers all for the advice on this thread, hopefully it's done!
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 08:29:29 AM »

So far so good! Firing up a charm now  Grin
Andy T

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 12:23:45 PM »

Good news, amazing what a new battery can do. Smiley
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »

I had the same exact issue happen on my VFR. it would crank up....after being tendered. it'd crank once or twice...then by the third stop and start...the batter died, completely.
it also read good voltage (12.? V) but once I got a new battery, it would start up all the time now.

interesting what something as simple as replacing a battery can resolve eh.

JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

Bad news guys, the battery hasn't solved it.

Took the bike out today for a long ride, stopped at a biker meet and had a look round, rode home no problems - bike starting on the button. Left the bike on the drive for half an hour and tried to start, she just cranked again with no life whatsoever.

As I was at home with the tools I pulled plugs 1 and 4, grounded them to the frame and engine, no spark on either when cranking. No power coming through. Put the plugs back, flicked the killswitch a couple of times (recently cleaned with contact cleaner), put the bike in and out of gear, kickstand up/down, rocked the bike back and forth. Hit the starter, bam fired on the button!

seems likely it's a bad connection somewhere in the ignition circuit that's excerbated with heat (this never seems to happen when the bike has been in a cold garage overnight). I cleaned the killswitch last weekend but couldn't see how you can disconnect it without breaking the soldered terminals?

Any other suspect points in the circuit you can think of?
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 07:05:54 PM »

Well, I suggest you buy a small bell, hang it somewhere in the tail section. Keeps the "moto-gremlins" off the bike.
Good luck trying to sort it out.

Sixdog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »

Do you have a wiring diagram for your 400?

Also keep in mind your frame is painted....you may want to try a better ground for the plugs when testing but in any case do you have that diagram?

1979 CBX RED, 1979 CBX SILVER, 1982 Suzuki GS1000sz, 1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor, 1990 Honda CB1, 1993 CBR900RR, 1995 CB1000 Big One, 2007 CBR1000RR Repsol, 2007 HD Fatboy, 1976 Kawasaki KZ900
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »

I do have the wiring diagram so will work through it soon and hopefully track it down.

I tried grounding the plug against the frame / cam cover / cylinder head but no spark each time, maybe I was doing it wrong, will re-test when it happens again.

Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »

Sounds like you have one of those annoying wiring gremlins somewhere. Unfortunately it's going to be a case of just working through the loom. I'd start with the coils and their connections as being near the engine are the most likely to be affected by heat. Coils can break down with age and will get hot. After that, I'd try the side stand which can pick up a lot of dirt
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »

Intermittent problems are the worst :/

Not many things except the kill switch will allow the starter to turn but not give ignition. I'd say you've already ruled out the sidestand and clutch and neutral circuit. Can only really think it's the kill switch, or a wire leading to or from it. Is there any part of the ignition switch which could be faulty and give this result?

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Sixdog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »

I recall a friend having an issue with a tip-over switch on his CBR.... Does the CB1 have one?

1979 CBX RED, 1979 CBX SILVER, 1982 Suzuki GS1000sz, 1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor, 1990 Honda CB1, 1993 CBR900RR, 1995 CB1000 Big One, 2007 CBR1000RR Repsol, 2007 HD Fatboy, 1976 Kawasaki KZ900
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »

tip-over switch? what is that?
I recall a friend having an issue with a tip-over switch on his CBR.... Does the CB1 have one?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: