Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 20, 2017, 09:28:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk to me about the blackbird shock  (Read 2409 times)
Nicknitrous

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:20:44 AM »

So after a little research I see a number of people use the Honda blackbird shock as an easy swap.
Supposedly lifts ride height by about 2 inches and gives a solid ride, however also read not so great for pillion use.

What would people say pros and cons against cbr900 shock, obviously you don't have to change spring with blackbird one and they are easier to source
What are people's views
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:02:33 AM »

A two inch rise is a lot. Enough to make your centre stand useless, side stand mostly useless, and likely upset the handling. It's not something I'd consider.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »

Wow...a 2" rise in the rear huh. Well, I know the feel of CB1 is low(er) in the saddle. My Hawk had the ergos where the seat felt good but when you'd brake, your package always would get crushed up against the tank.

But as Morti states....if it changes the whole geometry that much is it worth it.

I think the CB1 could stand to use a rear lift somewhat but how much is the question.

With regards to pillion use, I'm thinking the CB1 really isn't meant for a two-rider ride unless you're 16, weigh a buck twenty and your girlfriend weighs in at 90lbs.

If your like most CB1 owners, nostalgic old timers who weigh in at 180+......don't think two-up would be an issue.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:00:18 AM by VintageHunter » Logged

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »

I think the most total weight I've had with two people on a CB-1 (any further than round the block) was still under 280lb.

Not sure what rise I added when I put the Cbr arm on now I that think about it. Whatever it was, I set it so the rear tyre just about skimmed the ground on the centre stand. Measure that gap on a stock bike and that's the rise I put on. That bike handled fine, so maybe I'm overthinking the problem.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »

The CB1 as the Hawk in its stock or close to stock ergos sits a tad bit feeling back. In the "saddle" if you will. It's always a toss-up between wanting the bike to "feel" just right vs. "now your too far crouched over/into the tank"....

Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

Well picked up a blackbird shock for 20 quid, my cb1 shock is pretty dead so gonna swap it for now. Having read all the info it suggests only downside would be when carrying a passenger as the spring weight on the blackbird shock is less. What would the affect actually be, would shock bottom out.

Thanks

Nick
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »

Sounds like you're ideally placed to ve the guinea pig. Otherwise mike fellows on the fb group is your man.

Looks easy enough to remove the blackbird spring off the shock but trickier on the cb-1 shock. Still worth having a look if you can use the cb-1 spring on the blackbird shock.

Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:14:43 AM »

Think it's gonna be a suck it and see setup really, where I have modified the tail end the riding position is lower due to the smaller seat, so will need the lifted rear end the blackbird shock offers. I have also seen progressive springs for the blackbird shock so may be another option
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »

What year Honda Blackbird shock and is it a direct bolt on?

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »

If your seat will be lower, you're possibly going to need to shorten your legs by a few inches. The CB-1 seating position was never spacious in the first place and even if you raise the ride height, you'll be closing that leg gap even tighter. There's no space to put the pegs lower either, they're just about high enough for spirited road riding but will drag like crazy if you go to a track or try to ride it like a sports bike.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »

here's a Honda Blackbird rear suspension on fleabay
will this one work?
what is the distance from eyelet to eyelet on the Blackbird shock as it compares to the CB1 rear shock?
what about damping, compression? the spring? will it need to be swapped out with the CB1 spring?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Honda-CBR-1100xx-Blackbird-98-rear-shock-spring-suspension-linkage-oem-/322478711403?fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item4b153aa26b:g:5VEAAOSwTM5Y6t46&vxp=mtr

Also, the Honda Blackbird shock was designed for a bike that weighs in at almost 500 lbs....whilest the CB-1 is a 395 lb dryweight? So I'm wondering if just the fact that the shock alone might be a bit beefier? dunno. Can anyone answer the distance and spring question above?
thanks,

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:01:22 PM by VintageHunter » Logged

Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »

Yeah it's a direct replacement and jack's up the back a bit few people have done it, for 20 quid I'll give it a go
Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »

Also got under yolk clipons so is a much spirited position
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »

please keep us posted on "feel" of the shock once you ride her.
Also...the height as well.
Give us a detailed analysis breakout.
Yeah it's a direct replacement and jack's up the back a bit few people have done it, for 20 quid I'll give it a go

Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »

Yeah will do, a guy on another device used one and said it gives a much firmer ride and eliminates the sag under acceleration
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: