Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:36:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk to me about the blackbird shock  (Read 2745 times)
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »

dang....so far I like what I'm reading.
I know the CB-1 sits a bit low in the saddle which at times it's a good thing but I have about 3 to 4 to 5" inches to spare that I can raise her.
Also....it's not a bad test to see if a simple economical solution will help the ride feel as well...........rather than spending $900 on an aftermarket shock for the CB-1 only to realize it feels like "meh". Cry
Yeah will do, a guy on another device used one and said it gives a much firmer ride and eliminates the sag under acceleration

Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »

I agree the ride will probably not be everyone's cup or tea but I have only ever had sports bikes and prefer a more aggressive riding position
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »

I hear ya....but the CB-1 could stand a bit of a lift on the back end. It does indeed sit low in the back. And, to boot.....for heavier riders like myself...I'm sure I'm prob puttin' on some extra burden on that rear shock. I've tightened it up to it's #7 setting and it does feel stiffer but still.....when my fat 200lb but hit a bump...it'll bounce a bit.
So I'm figuring, install a Blackbird shock, it'll raise the back end 1 or 2 inches....AND in theory since the Blackbird OEM shock was indeed made for a 500lb bike dry weight...who knows..it could just be the ticket.

I agree the ride will probably not be everyone's cup or tea but I have only ever had sports bikes and prefer a more aggressive riding position

Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

I deleted my own post as I realized I was talking about the CBR900 rear shock mod.  My mix-up.  I'm not sure what needs to be done with the Blackbird shock.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:49:13 PM by Sugs » Logged

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 06:41:34 PM »

Might be useful.

http://www.penskeshocks.com/assets/PENSKE%20SPRING%20APPLICATION%20CHART.pdf

Bear in mind the spring rates are what Penske recommend, as opposed to what the stock spring weighs.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »

So let's say Penske recommend a 1300lb Spring for a CB-1 with a 200lb rider, and an 1100lb spring for a blackbird wi same rider. It's not a huge percentage difference, and suggests stock shocks may be interchangeable to at least some degree. Assuming the CB-1 rear shock is softly sprung from factory and the blackbird shock isn't , you may find the stock spring rates are very close.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 06:49:02 PM »

Huh.....useful info.

Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »

The thing is though that the Blackbird uses a rising rate linkage (like the Fireblade) so I would expect the spring rate to be less than a CB-1.
The blackbird was however designed to be a sports tourer so the spring rate would be fairly high as standard to cope with luggage and possibly a pillion unlike a Fireblade.

With the standard spring it may be better than an old & tired CB-1 unit but still a bit on the low side...
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »

Sounds right Pod. If you've got a dead CB shock you can replace it with a 15 years newer cbr11 shock for not much money, raising the rear and getting some damping back, but you have to be aware it may be under sprung especially if you aren't a racing snake.

Good thing it the spring thread on the blackbird shock is long, looks like it would accept the cb1 Spring if you can extract it from your oem shock.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:27:41 PM by a_morti » Logged

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »

So...with that in mind, can't you simple take the CB1 spring out and slip it into the Blackbirds rear shock housing?
Wouldn't that resolve the issue?

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »

Never tried. Probably easy enough to remove the blackbird Spring due to the long thread but you'll have a harder time on the cb1 shock.

Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 04:58:57 AM »

I had pondered the spring rate issue myself, however according to a fella who's done it only noticeable when carrying a pillion
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »

Any way we can get the "fellows" info?
I'd like to ask him a few questions myself about this alternative Blackbird shock option.
I had pondered the spring rate issue myself, however according to a fella who's done it only noticeable when carrying a pillion
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:12:10 PM by VintageHunter » Logged

Nicknitrous

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2017, 04:41:00 AM »

The last post on the forum I read it on was in about 2014, if you search Google with blackbird shock on cb1 it will come up
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »

I may have to try this myself to find out! Reading Pod and Morti I feel like a ball boy by the net at Wimbledon!!;) First I find myself agreeing with Morti, then Pod adds some wisdom, and Morti agrees with him!

Whilst everyone's results will be dependent upon a number of factors, two things will be constant:

i. The length of the Blackbird unit will raise the unlaiden rear end by X

ii. The rear end will compress by Y +- BK for every burger under and over 200lbs

iii. Damping will vary slightly according to ii + retained from R (where R = the money stolen by Gov for road repairs) and usefully and skilfully deployed to actually improve road surfaces.

I'm really surprised no one has come up with this formula before. Seems like a no brainer to me...!;)))))

Happy Saturday CB-1ers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: