Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 24, 2017, 01:43:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel System questions  (Read 2186 times)
MikeCr

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »

My bike has been sitting for a few years, it had a burned stator coil which I've now replaced.  After getting it all back together it won't start.  I neglected to use fuel stabilizer or fully drain the tank and carbs so I fear that might be the issue.  It will fire briefly if fuel is squirted into the intakes so no ignition problem.  Question, when is the fuel pump supposed to be running?  Key on nothing as far as I can tell.  I haven't yet tried to supply fuel from an aux tank to see if it will run completely bypassing the filter and pump.  Initially I intended to just take he carbs off and go through them but I can't seem to get the carbs to come off of the boots no matter how hard I pull on them. 

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:59:58 AM »

Hi Mike,

Try running the bike from a remote tank and bypassing the pump before you pull the carbs off. The pump only works when the bike is running or cranking over on the starter. I suspect that the carbs will be gunked up from fuel residue - Litek do the carb rebuild kits

If the inlet rubbers (boots) are stiff & preventing you from removing the carbs, try heating them up with a hairdryer or electric paint stripper gun - this will soften them and cause them to expand. Unfortunately the do tend to bond to the carb bodies over time so some force may be required.
MikeCr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »

Thanks.  That's what I suspected since the Fuel Shutoff Relay appears to be controlled by the ignition module.  I'll hook up an aux supply but I'm pretty sure the carbs are gunked up.  At first the twist grip wouldn't even move, it's a little better now.  Hopefully carb kits are available.  I understand that the carbs are the same as on a CBR600. 

Mike
Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »

First generation CBR600 Hurricane carbs are very similar, but not completely interchangeable.

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 02:09:43 PM »

I believe the fuel pump runs when the ignition fires, which is kind of backwards when you think about it.

You will definitely need to strip and clean the carbs.

Seal kits better than new:
http://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Honda_CB1_NC27.html

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
MikeCr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »

First generation CBR600 Hurricane carbs are very similar, but not completely interchangeable.

That's good to know.  I read on here somewhere that they used the same carbs but apparently not. 

Mike
MikeCr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »

I believe the fuel pump runs when the ignition fires, which is kind of backwards when you think about it.

You will definitely need to strip and clean the carbs.

Seal kits better than new:
http://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Honda_CB1_NC27.html

I'm sure since the bike has been sitting for so long and the fact that the throttle was stiff.  Not really looking forward to completely tearing the carbs down but I guess there's no choice.

Mike
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:41:45 PM »

Get that kit in stock, a big bottle of pine sol to soak the metal parts, and go at it systematically, taking pictures if you can. Not too tough, although there are a lot of small parts.

You also NEED a JIS screwdriver set. It looks like Phillips in the same way a 13mm socket looks like a 1/2" one. Close, but keep trying your luck and you'll find out. If you can't find one, take a number two Phillips and grind the tip slightly down. This really is important, if you want the screws not to round out.

MikeCr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »

Get that kit in stock, a big bottle of pine sol to soak the metal parts, and go at it systematically, taking pictures if you can. Not too tough, although there are a lot of small parts.

You also NEED a JIS screwdriver set. It looks like Phillips in the same way a 13mm socket looks like a 1/2" one. Close, but keep trying your luck and you'll find out. If you can't find one, take a number two Phillips and grind the tip slightly down. This really is important, if you want the screws not to round out.

Thanks.  I'll definitely order the kit.  The more I think about it I don't think I'll even try to run it on a separate fuel source, being the fact that the twist grip wouldn't even turn.  That reminds me, better prep my generator for winter.  Don't want to have the same problem with it in the spring.   

JIS huh?  I've always known that there were different profiles to Phillips screwdrivers, just didn't know what it was called.

Mike 
Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »

I'll second this, makes a HUGE difference.  I've been kinda shocked at how soft the metal is on all the screws for Honda carbs.  I buggered up my fair share of screw heads before I went and got some JIS.

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
MikeCr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »

Finally got the carbs off.  Took a little beating with a hammer (kidding) but I finally got them off.  This will be one of my winter projects as it won't be long before the snow flies.  It'll be a bit of a task since I've never done anything like this.  Individual, single carbs, quite a few over the years.  But never a bank of four like this.  I'll make sure to document it well and take my time.  I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Mike 
MikeCr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »

I assume I should completely separate the carbs from each other?  Initially I thought I'd try to clean them without disassembling them but from what I've read that might even be possible.  At this point I pretty much have all winter to complete it since it's already getting cold here in Wisconsin. 

I did order a set of JIS screwdrivers, they should be here in a few days.  I have the carb bank sitting in a bucket of PineSol solution after removing three of the four vacuum chambers.  Was having trouble removing the choke bracket with my non JIS tools so I'll wait on that.  A Lot of crud on the needles!

Mike
Efreeman55

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »

Before beginning any disassembly of the carb rack, take plenty of closeup photos for reference.  It can get very confusing trying to remember where all the pieces go upon reassembly.  If you don't have a digital camera, I can send you the pics I took of my carbs when I rebuilt them.

Eric
MikeCr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »

I got that covered.  I have an iPhone, a digital camera and a digital camcorder.  I've already taken a dozen pictures with the little disassembly I've done and also am being careful to bag and ID everything.  Also plan to take careful notes.  Like I said I have all winter to get it done so I'll be able to take my time.  BTW, what material are the slides made of?  It doesn't feel like metal, it feels like plastic.  If so I have to be careful what I clean them with.  They're really sticky to the touch.

Mike   
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »

They are some kind of plastic. They can be polished gently but use a specific polish. Xerapol maybe, or other polish for cloudy headlamps.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: