Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 17, 2018, 10:25:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas Caps - yes, they are different from Jap Spec to USA models  (Read 670 times)
VintageHunter

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »

So..here's what I found out.
while taking apart my gas cap I was enlightened to 3 things.
1) the jap spec gas cap "IS" different than the U.S.A. model gas cap.
how do I know (see photo) below
2) you only need remove 3 of the allen bolts from the gas cap to remove it. the top one and the two bottom ones, the other 4 are there "fo sho". they don't anchor the cap down.
3) with regards to O-rings and petcocks...get the EXACT O-ring you need. I had my tank cremed due to some UK rust inside. they were sloppy in creaming the tank. they left some "blobulous" stuff inside the stem where the filter goes on the petcock. Low and behold when I tried to put back in the petcock with the green meshy filter...it wouldn't fit.
Also...if there is ANY....any at all...left over creme stuff on the rim of the petcock where the o-ring goes...YOUR gas tank WILL leak fuel. Also...if you do not get the EXACT size of O-ring for that petcock.....your gas tank WILL LEAK FUEL.....I found out the hard way. Filled my tank up with gas...and spill, spill, spill, drip drip drip, right where the O-ring seal is. live and learn.

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

Interesting stuff. Maybe something to do with the charcoal canister on a USA model?

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »

cost, less bolts my guess
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:38:35 PM »

its really weird that nib that I "had" on my gas cap. it totally prevented me from pushing down on the cap onto the actual tank lip.
No matter, a good grinder and dremel tool did the trick is what I say......

In construction we had a saying. All documents from the architect should say "Paint to match and hammer to fit".
it's the universal law. if you can't paint it...hammer it.
it got resolved so allz right with the CB1 world now.

Wink
Interesting stuff. Maybe something to do with the charcoal canister on a USA model?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: