Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
July 27, 2017, 12:39:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: have a couple of question for a new member! :p headlight and bezel related  (Read 708 times)
honda4life

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »

So I just bought a MINT 1989 honda cb-1. I'm so happy with it! now I have a couple of questions...

anyone ever tried to swap the front headlight for a LED or HID aftermaket one?

what about the speedo/rpm bezels? for some reason, my rpm guage is iffy... the needle won't seem to go over 3krpm... the engine does, but not the indicator.

any reason why? would like to change it into a digital one anyway, anyone done it?

THANK YOU! very happy with the purschase so far! I'll post pics when I'm done with the handles swap.
honda4life

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »

Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:02:19 AM »

Welcome to the forum - that's a clean looking CB-1 you've got there.

Can't see that there would be any problems switching to an LED Headlamp although I think they may not be legal in some countries. Not sure about the HID conversion though.

Swapping to a digital speedo is fairly simple (as long as you follow the instructions & have a wiring diagram to hand)and being an American market model, I don't think yours will have any issues with the built in speed restrictor that we get on the Japanese versions. The only issue with a CB-1 is that the speedo drive is taken off the front sprocket so look for a digital speedo that comes with a Hall sensor and magnets to replace the Honda speedo drive
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »

Its a nice looking bike for sure!

Some things you may not know.
Those tyres look just like the metzeler tourance tyres i had on my gs650 bmw, they may lead to interesting handling.
The cb-1 never had chrome bezels on the clocks but the chinese replicas on eBay do. If yours are original canadian clocks they'll have mph marking on the centre of the speedo but if replicas then no. Although i guess an oem speedo would fit in even next to a replica rev counter. The easy solution would be find a used oem rev counter.
LED headlights are real world tech now on various honda and other models. But the eBay stuff is likely to be substandard. Buy a nightbreaker halogen bulb and I'm sure you'll be happy.
They were never sold in black in north america so yours has been painted.
The rear bodywork has been chopped for an LED light unit off another bike. Looks good though.
I don't recognise that exhaust system. Looks cool though.
Footpegs, turn signals and mirrors ofc aftermarket too. With those pedals and tyres it seems someone was dreaming of a dual sport!

Good clean example of a modified bike,  enjoy Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:07:52 PM by a_morti » Logged

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
honda4life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »

thanks for the compliments! yes, there are many little parts, other than the ones you mentioned, the handles are also aftermarket, the manifold is too because I know the OEM doesn't have that curve.

as for the headlight, would not like to change the bulb only, really want that more modern look of clean clear headlamp but keeping the style you know? wondering if HID exists for it and where could I find one with the same size?

as for the digital speedo, the more I read, the more complicated it looks. I'm quite experienced in mechanical and electrical stuff, but the problem always comes from the actual parts you buy. stuff missing etc... so I was wondering if anyone here bought one and could point me to the one they bought that had no problem.

p.s. got it for a STEAL too! 1700$ canadian! that's like 1200 US... bike has 25000km, which is about 16000 miles! quite happy so far Smiley

first bike was a honda f4, then got a gsx-r1000 2005 after my racing "career" ended (raced for kawa on a 636, wasn't mine though), I got a 2013 ninja 300 and now this one and so far, I'm happy! just not used to these old looking speedos etc :p love the look of it, just wished it had more tech in it kinda thing :p
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »

$1200 US pesos!.....FAK...you better be lookin' over yer shoulder when you ride her cause you STOLE the darn thing at that price.
thanks for the compliments! yes, there are many little parts, other than the ones you mentioned, the handles are also aftermarket, the manifold is too because I know the OEM doesn't have that curve.

as for the headlight, would not like to change the bulb only, really want that more modern look of clean clear headlamp but keeping the style you know? wondering if HID exists for it and where could I find one with the same size?

as for the digital speedo, the more I read, the more complicated it looks. I'm quite experienced in mechanical and electrical stuff, but the problem always comes from the actual parts you buy. stuff missing etc... so I was wondering if anyone here bought one and could point me to the one they bought that had no problem.

p.s. got it for a STEAL too! 1700$ canadian! that's like 1200 US... bike has 25000km, which is about 16000 miles! quite happy so far Smiley

first bike was a honda f4, then got a gsx-r1000 2005 after my racing "career" ended (raced for kawa on a 636, wasn't mine though), I got a 2013 ninja 300 and now this one and so far, I'm happy! just not used to these old looking speedos etc :p love the look of it, just wished it had more tech in it kinda thing :p

honda4life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »

I know right? lol

anyway, still looking for a headlight with accessories that fit perfect and a guage bezel... my rpm definitely doesn't work well and just saw that temp guage is useless...

also, any way to put a gas guage on it?
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:49:02 AM »

Probably best look for used oem dials still. The cheap universal gauges on eBay don't usually have a water temp gauge and that would be a problem for me. After that you're well into the hundreds to get one with full features.

Fuel gauge? Nah dont need it, you have a trip counter and reserve switch, but definitely get used to flipping that on the move. To fit a guage you'd need to make a float and resistor arrangement from another bike fit which will mean cutting and resealing a hole in the tank base. Not to mention finding and fitting a gauge somewhere. Doesn't sound a good idea.

As for the headlight just go find something you like on eBay and use it for a week before you have to admit its crap or it eventually fails any safety inspections you have over there. Or maybe an oem light off a current honda could be adapted but won't be cheap.

I fear you're trying to make it something it's not, which is a much more modern bike. You can have a go but it's not really worth the attempt imho. Remember you've bought a bike from 1989, it's 28 years old. Fuel gauges were a distant dream for middleweight bikes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:52:32 AM by a_morti » Logged

honda4life

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »

well keep posted, because I WILL make it happen Wink there is no chance that I'm going to ride a bike that I never really know when I'm going to run out of gas, can't have the same driving habbits every ride.

as for the guages, mine barely work anyway. the speedo is gps accurate, so that's good! but my temp guage does not seem to work and my rpm does not go above 3k rpm. feels like it's stock on something when it gets to 3. but regardless, I'll make a digital one work! Cheesy

and with a fuel guage believe me Wink lol

like you said anyway, I stole the bike! :p got 4k american pesos for my ninja 300, got this one for 1700, I don,t mind spending another 2300 on it Wink
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »

It's not as bad as all that... Remember to flip the fuel tap to main when you fill up (you'll only forget once) and flip it to reserve when you run out. When you flipped it down, you'll have around 45km to get fuel.

Even if I wouldn't bother, I'm interested to see how you do it! The digital gauge is easy if you're ok with spending money (I'm tight). Take a look at koso. Not cheap but they have a temp gauge which most don't.

http://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/motorcycle-mx/rx-2-gp-style-multifunctions/

honda4life

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:28 PM »

thanks mate! also, is it me or the 6th gear is practically the same as the 5th? lol anywhere I can find the gear ratios? are there any 6th gear from another honda that could be interchangeable?

edit: DAYUM! that speedo is very expensive! I was thinking more along the lines of a simple light that comes on when the tank would be at about 1/8. otherwise, a real time fuel guage could be quite complex... I'd have to find a sender unit from another bike and try to retrofit it to the cb-1 tank. that would require welding also probably... plus our tank has that bulge for the frame in the middle, so even finding a sender unit that would calculate that bulge could be quite the task...

oh yeah btw, just had a long ride with her today, and you were right... these tires are VERY "interesting" as you said lol suck because they are BRAN NEW! but I will change them ASAP... I do NOT feel confortable turning with them, terrible handling grips compared to every tire I have ever had :p
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:47:32 PM by honda4life » Logged
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »

The reserve light would be a kind of halfway modern solution. I think my 1999 955i Daytona had that in lieu of a full fuel gauge. Should be easier to rig something up I guess.

You may do well to look at used OEM speedos, but most drive off the gearbox output shaft which can be a problem to replicate. There are speedo healers but again that's an expensive box of tricks. Perhaps the sensor off a 1996-7 cbr900 could be adapted, maybe on to an nc29 sprocket cover, idk if it's possible nevermind if it works or not. The koso would certainly be easier.

honda4life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:19 PM »

I want a modern look digital speedo. I'll just use magnets for the speedo.

will keep you posted!
See Bee-Won

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »

thanks mate! also, is it me or the 6th gear is practically the same as the 5th? lol anywhere I can find the gear ratios? are there any 6th gear from another honda that could be interchangeable?

edit: DAYUM! that speedo is very expensive! I was thinking more along the lines of a simple light that comes on when the tank would be at about 1/8. otherwise, a real time fuel guage could be quite complex... I'd have to find a sender unit from another bike and try to retrofit it to the cb-1 tank. that would require welding also probably... plus our tank has that bulge for the frame in the middle, so even finding a sender unit that would calculate that bulge could be quite the task...

oh yeah btw, just had a long ride with her today, and you were right... these tires are VERY "interesting" as you said lol suck because they are BRAN NEW! but I will change them ASAP... I do NOT feel confortable turning with them, terrible handling grips compared to every tire I have ever had :p

The stock gearing is VERY close ratio and low overall especially the upper gears. Made for good et's and top gear roll ons in the magazine shootouts of the day but had the engine screaming at highway speeds. I hated it. I don't drag race, do power wheelies, or pull a plow behind my bike to work up my garden in the spring. Going to a smaller sprocket (47t) on the rear spaces out the gearing much better for commuting. I'm no longer in third gear before I completely cross an intersection from a dead stop.  Cheesy
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »

Stock on japan models is 41 so i guess you mean down to 37?

I have a cbr400 nc29 rear wheel. Short of using a cbr900 sprocket and shimming 12mm holes to 10mm, you can literally only get steel sprockets in oem 39t. Good news is that 39t and a 160/60-17 tyre have left me with a speedo within 1km at 50kmh on GPS which is as close as matters to dead on. Haven't had chance for higher speed testing yet.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: