Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 25, 2017, 05:56:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: CB-1 oem rear shock  (Read 2276 times)
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2017, 03:27:54 AM »

It's making sense to me so far.

I think the vtr shock can more or less be laid to the side. It's too long and there's not much to gain.

The one which is missing is the blackbird shock. I appreciate it's not about money for you, but how would you feel if a forum member were to score a cheap BB shock and ship it to you?

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »

If someone does that that, I'll test it too.  That includes damping once my adapter pieces come in a month or so.  Just PM me whoever wants to do this.
Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »

still waiting for data from the group...

OK, finally managed some sag measurements on the stock CB-1 shock, no preload.  My bike is a '90 with zero mods.

7.5mm bike only, 17.5mm with me.  I weigh 198.6lbs.

Hope this helps you out.

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »

Some of the valve and shimming references are a bit of a mystery to me Jerry, but that's because I haven't looked at one of these shocks in detail yet, plus I'm still reading your posts on my phone.
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »

still waiting for data from the group...

OK, finally managed some sag measurements on the stock CB-1 shock, no preload.  My bike is a '90 with zero mods.

7.5mm bike only, 17.5mm with me.  I weigh 198.6lbs.

Hope this helps you out.

Awesome Sugs, can you confirm for me what preload setting you are on?  I noted your bike sag measurement didn't move quite as far as mine, so I'm guessing you are not on the 1st shock preload indent, perhaps the 2nd one?

I am also guessing you have a stock bike?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:30:17 PM by spacetiger » Logged
Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2017, 12:20:34 AM »

Awesome Sugs, can you confirm for me what preload setting you are on?  I noted your bike sag measurement didn't move quite as far as mine, so I'm guessing you are not on the 1st shock preload indent, perhaps the 2nd one?

I am also guessing you have a stock bike?

I made sure I was on number one preload and was unable to turn it any further.  Might be my spring is a little fresher, or its the 1.8lbs lithium battery that made the difference.  Seat isn't stock but unless the stock one has a metal seat pan that shouldn't be much difference.  Tank is about 2/3-3/4 full of gas.

spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2017, 11:38:34 PM »

Sugs,

Here is what your data means (so far)

My data is in row 90 (#1) and your data is in row 91 (#2).  In column R, i used the spec weight of the bile with full tank (414 lbs).  Having taken a scale and measured the weight under the rear tire, then front tire, I could see what the weight distribution was on the rear.  That value is in column s (0.508), so for my case, 0.508 x 414 lbs = 210 lbs.  For Sugs, I took 4lbs off for battery + 1 gal of gas; so 11 lbs off my 414 lbs for 204 lbs at rear.

My bike sag nylon washer reading was 0.327", Sugs was 0.298" (7.5mm).  Using the calibrated curve, that translates out to 854 ls for me and 825 lbs for Sugs.  I'm looking for the measured ratio of measured weight through spring vs. rear weight.  In my case it is 854/210 = 4.072.  For Sugs it is 825/204 = 4.041.  The average of the data is the yellow cell at 4.056.  This is the important ratio we need to start characterizing loads we are seeing.

On bike sag, my weight is 180 x 0.508 = 91 lbs at rear.  For Sugs it is 199 x 0.508 = 101 lbs.  Using the yellow cell average, that translates out to 91 x 4.056 = 271 lbs and for Sugs it is 101 x 4.056 = 411.  Adding those calculated values to the calculated bike weight through the springs values in column W, you get the calculated rider sag load of 1,222 lbs for me and 1,239 lbs for Sugs (these values are found in column AF).  So far the model is reasonably accurate, within 2% on only 2 data sets.  I think 2 more should lock in the accuracy.

So how do you use it?  In row 95 is a theoretical 160 lb rider and in row 96 is a 220 lb rider.  Both riders have a stock bike.  So if the gas tank is full, you can calculate the rider load and compare it to a measured nylon washer reading.  For the 160 lb rider, his rear load is 160 x 0.508 = 81 lbs.  Multiply that number by 4.056 and get 330 lbs; add that to bike load of 851 lbs and get 1,180 lbs.  Using the spring curve on 1st indent, that rider should get a nylon washer reading of .625".    The 220 lb rider would see 0.725".

Now we need some riding data (Sugs).  Just ride the bike.  If you can take a washer reading after riding sedately on the freeway and one from easy ride on surface streets (but hit a few pot holes), you should have the bare minimum data to start compiling how to set up the rear suspension using stock spring.  I'll post my riding data once I get the carbs cleaned enough to run the bike.

The model could also benefit from data from a 160 lb or 220 lb rider, but I'll take any data.  We just need 2 more guys to play.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:47:13 PM by spacetiger » Logged
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2017, 11:58:09 PM »

Jerry, I'm in awe and actually feeling guilty for not having my bike on the road.

But it now seems that by experiencing these various delays, I may have avoided a potential catastrophic disaster. If indeed I do have a broken ring, I could be sitting in a casualty ward right now. That's a sobering thought. It's becoming increasingly clear the PO knew all about the problem with the engine and took extensive steps to disguise it. Not impressed.

There may be a long delay before I can give you road data I'm afraid.
Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2017, 01:07:25 AM »

Now we need some riding data (Sugs).  Just ride the bike.  If you can take a washer reading after riding sedately on the freeway and one from easy ride on surface streets (but hit a few pot holes), you should have the bare minimum data to start compiling how to set up the rear suspension using stock spring.

I'm guessing you would want the ride data on the lowest preload too?

spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2017, 01:40:37 AM »

No. You need to be up on preload or you will bottom out. I'm guessing 6th or 7th indent. Just let me know which one you rode on. I know how to adjust curve.  I plan on riding on 7th indent.

Jerry

Pic Test

Seems I can post a pic, lets see how long it lasts...  seems it lasts 1 day

test 2:  which one lasts...start at 10 pm est:  

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/spacetiger81/CB-1/Honda_zps4zs30tbo.jpg

Update:  By 07:45 next day, 3rd party hosting was lost, but link back to PB still works.
Update to update:  as soon as I tested the link and posted the update comment, the 3rd party hosting link now shows the pic again?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:59:14 AM by spacetiger » Logged
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

No. You need to be up on preload or you will bottom out. I'm guessing 6th or 7th indent. Just let me know which one you rode on. I know how to adjust curve.  I plan on riding on 7th indent.

Jerry

Pic Test

Seems I can post a pic, lets see how long it lasts...  seems it lasts 1 day

test 2:  which one lasts...start at 10 pm est:  

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/spacetiger81/CB-1/Honda_zps4zs30tbo.jpg

Update:  By 07:45 next day, 3rd party hosting was lost, but link back to PB still works.
Update to update:  as soon as I tested the link and posted the update comment, the 3rd party hosting link now shows the pic again?

Photobucket has turned into a gigantic spam turd! I followed your link just now and I got a page offering me those stupid clickbate 'stories' of the world's ugliest people and what the world's most irrelevant people look like after losing weight.

They then flashed up an ad for going ad free, and a link to a policy statement that had no comments. Why? There didn't appear to be a comments option!!

Companies like that deserve to destroy themselves with their horrible business models and greed. I'm not saying Google/YT is any better, but at least the vid hosting thing works - as they surveil our every activity on behalf of the CIA/NSA/GCHQ globsl banking/war complex.

Could the owners and moderators of this site please pass my consudered thoughts to the fools at Photobucket? Remind them that business is about relationships. Thank you.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: