Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
July 27, 2017, 12:40:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CBR900RR - had to do it...makin' me "loco"  (Read 484 times)
VintageHunter

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »

So..all this talk bout the CBR900rr and the alternative shock to the CB1 and and and...well, I came across this $25 CBR900rr rear shock in good shape. it came off a bike well taken care of.

So...I'm going to get the dern thing inserted into the CB1 this weekend.
Questions I have are as follows:
1. I have a suspension guy who will install the CB1 spring in this CBR900rr shock but....how the hell is he gonna get that spring off with that remote reservoir hose in the way?
2. what is the process for removing the spring? from both bikes? the CB1 and the 900rr shock?
3. once he is able to remove that spring from the CBR900rr and inserts it in the CB1 rear shock assembly, is there anything else besides installation of the new 900rr shock back in the CB1?

I'm a bit befuddled with what the procedures actually are.

thanks,

Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:41:25 PM »

Spring comes off the other end, not the reservoir side.  Comes off the same for both shocks.  You compress the spring which releases the pressure on the stay and allows you to slide the stay off.  Then you uncompress the spring and slide it off the shock.  Reverse order to reinstall.  Few different ways to compress a spring, just check google.

Center stand with the front wheel locked to the ground is probably the easiest to get the shock off and on the bike, otherwise you have to get creative to support the bike once the shock is out.

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 11:43:52 PM »

My CB1 doesn't have a center stand.
Sad
Spring comes off the other end, not the reservoir side.  Comes off the same for both shocks.  You compress the spring which releases the pressure on the stay and allows you to slide the stay off.  Then you uncompress the spring and slide it off the shock.  Reverse order to reinstall.  Few different ways to compress a spring, just check google.

Center stand with the front wheel locked to the ground is probably the easiest to get the shock off and on the bike, otherwise you have to get creative to support the bike once the shock is out.

Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »

Yeah, me neither.  Which is one reason why I haven't attempted this shock mod yet(the other being I'm more focused on my GL1000 right now), even though I have a CBR900RR shock just like yours.  Although, I do have a stand that I fabbed up out of some old 2x8's and 4x4's and heavy steel pipe.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 12:11:22 AM »

Really odd timing though cause I was planning on giving the CB1 to my brother in a month er two for his birthday. He turns 50 this August.

Yeah, me neither.  Which is one reason why I haven't attempted this shock mod yet(the other being I'm more focused on my GL1000 right now), even though I have a CBR900RR shock just like yours.  Although, I do have a stand that I fabbed up out of some old 2x8's and 4x4's and heavy steel pipe.

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 04:14:49 AM »

The spring is red from factory. Either that one was painted or may be a different weight for a bigger rider. I guess it's got some markings on it?

I believe the cb-1 spring is shorter and would need a spacer. Istr a thread on the subject years ago.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »

So..all this talk bout the CBR900rr and the alternative shock to the CB1 and and and...well, I came across this $25 CBR900rr rear shock in good shape. it came off a bike well taken care of.

1. I have a suspension guy who will install the CB1 spring in this CBR900rr shock but....how the hell is he gonna get that spring off with that remote reservoir hose in the way?
2. what is the process for removing the spring? from both bikes? the CB1 and the 900rr shock?
3. once he is able to remove that spring from the CBR900rr and inserts it in the CB1 rear shock assembly, is there anything else besides installation of the new 900rr shock back in the CB1?

thanks,

That's a pretty shock VintageHunter. Very nice condition, clearly worth a lot more than you paid. Great find. A similar condition Blackbird shock is on offer here in UK for 150! What's that in pesos? $200? Big difference. Hope it does the job, and a similar bargain floats my way;))
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 11:19:18 AM »

think it and it shall be so.....

thanks,

That's a pretty shock VintageHunter. Very nice condition, clearly worth a lot more than you paid. Great find. A similar condition Blackbird shock is on offer here in UK for 150! What's that in pesos? $200? Big difference. Hope it does the job, and a similar bargain floats my way;))

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »

The law of attraction? VintageHunter?
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »

exactamundo........you can't imagine just how many times I've "thought" about something and low and behold, I get it.
Happened to me when I was living in the N.E. that place was a $h!thole. Rain, cloudy, F'n cold as crap, snow, drizzle, sleety rain....sheesh. I thought I was gonna commit Hari-Kari then commit Hari-Kari onto someone else I was so miserable there.
So...low and behold I spent an entire YEAR lazer-focusing on getttin back to SoCal. Well, as the LOA states...you'll get what you focus on and the universe will give it to you WHEN it is right and WHEN you need it most............and sure heck nuff....here I am. Back in SoCali, typing up this response from sunny SoCali.

thats just one simple example of the LOA principle. You can attain "anything" if you "think it". Seriously. I think we tend to think too many "negative" or "CANT" thoughts and well....that's what happens, you don't get it......so think and ye shall recieve. May not be right when you want it but it will be when you NEED it.
The law of attraction? VintageHunter?

Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »

The spring is red from factory. Either that one was painted or may be a different weight for a bigger rider. I guess it's got some markings on it?

I believe the cb-1 spring is shorter and would need a spacer. Istr a thread on the subject years ago.

Early years are yellow, later years are red.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 08:59:47 PM »

As I spoke to Sugs.....I looked up this image about "where in the heck" would the remote reservoir end up....well, it appears the only place viable is as shown in the picture. Unless you send your 900rr shock out to get an extra hose lengthened...that's where it'll have to rest.

Lets see if I can't make up some sort of "bracket" or something to make sure it don't move around too much.

If any of you have a picture of where you have located your aftermarket shock (particularly interested in where you placed the 900rr shock without having to lengthen the remote hose)...that would be helpful.

Otus511

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »

Not sure if this is of any interest to this topic, but this is the setup in my cb-1.
No idea what it's off, but the reservoir line from the shock is about 16 inches long. Maybe you could look at lengthening the line?

* _20170617_173532.JPG (104.87 KB, 450x253 - viewed 37 times.)

* _20170617_173608.JPG (55.3 KB, 450x253 - viewed 37 times.)
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »

Thanks Otus.
but....I'm not going to be lengthening the remote reservoir hose. I'm just going to have to find a spot where to put the reservoir where the hose extends to. that's bout it. I'll probably just end up locating it where that picture shows....on the right side, close to the coolant reservoir bottle.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »

Not sure if this is of any interest to this topic, but this is the setup in my cb-1.
No idea what it's off, but the reservoir line from the shock is about 16 inches long. Maybe you could look at lengthening the line?

That's handy Otus511. Your pillion can alter the settings on the move!!;))

Can you read any part numbers on your shock or extension bottle?

How well does it ride?

How much higher does it sit? What's the distance from the back wheel to a level surface when it's on the centre stand?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: