Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:40:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: need new carb boots on my cb-1...  (Read 597 times)
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »

Let's say you're out riding and for no apparent reason your engine stops. It stops in such a way that you know it has internal issues.

In uk at least, you wouldn't have a problem finding a used engine. It would probably cost around 300.

Or you could spend a lot of time and money trying to fix it. Even just a gasket set would cost plenty, never mind all the parts you'll need and aren't available.

It's a shame but there's no way I'd even look at fixing a broken engine. Even kust relatively commonplace stuff like valve seals would have to be smoking pretty bad to get me looking at them.

That IS a shame a_morti. Don't you relish the challenge of investigating that beautiful geared head? I know I do. But I've rebuilt several engines, including several Hondas, Fords and Saabs. Both were really difficult. I didn't have all the right tools and had to improvise.

The thing is, the bits I have nightmares about are not correctly refitting the camchain/belt adjuster correctly. And it's not an irrationsl fear. They're an imperfect solution to backlash in a drive train, and almost ALWAYS the failure point. There are great vids on YT showing how to replace the camchain adjuster on Hondas. I was impressed to discover that the aftermarket part for the 1970s CB400 Four has a bronze bearing to prevent the inbuilt stiffness issued experienced with the Honda part - that cause the very catastrophic failures you describe.

On a CB-1 NC23 engine, we will NEVER have to deal with such an imperfect solution. Some of the best, most sophisticated and expensive engines ever designed have gear driven heads. We are literally in the presence of engine royalty!! It will be a privilege to play with one.

But if you don't have the right setup, it could be a nightmare too. I get that. And I'm still working in my workshop solution. It needs to be warm in winter, and well lit. There's still a lot to do. Plus, I have two Bultacos to fully restore. What else are British winters good for?

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »

That's a big reason for me. I live in Gibraltar now where it's generally warm, except it rains for like 3  months straight in winter.

I don't have a garage and i live on the 5th floor, where my 2 year old would love to stick her fingers in any engine (60kg) which I did manage to get up there.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »

Unfortunately the engine didn't last that long due to a damaged bore - and the bike is sitting in the shed waiting for me to fit another engine but at that price, I'd be happy to replace every now and again. We did ask Blair at Litek to look at re-manufacturing the inlet boots and there are slightly different offsets to the A & B boots but not enough that the type A boots won't flex to make up the difference.

The good news is that you CAN get ALL the parts to rebuild a CB-1 / CBR400 engine as I've just finished rebuilding one for the CBR400 race bike. The bad news is the cost - 8 per crank bearing 1/2 soon adds up and I think the gaskets alone came to 150.

Don't ask what the final cost was as I don't want to know  Shocked
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »

Unfortunately the engine didn't last that long due to a damaged bore - and the bike is sitting in the shed waiting for me to fit another engine but at that price, I'd be happy to replace every now and again. We did ask Blair at Litek to look at re-manufacturing the inlet boots and there are slightly different offsets to the A & B boots but not enough that the type A boots won't flex to make up the difference.

The good news is that you CAN get ALL the parts to rebuild a CB-1 / CBR400 engine as I've just finished rebuilding one for the CBR400 race bike. The bad news is the cost - 8 per crank bearing 1/2 soon adds up and I think the gaskets alone came to 150.

Don't ask what the final cost was as I don't want to know  Shocked

I need to invest in a CNC lathe and a small precidion CNC miller.

I'm sure bearings can be made for a lot less than that. Pistons from billets would be a bigger challenge, but it can be done.

Good luck with your CB-1 engine hunt Pod

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: