Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 20, 2017, 09:27:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help asap with rear shock: To Blackbird or not to Blackbird?  (Read 1511 times)
Dash

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:49:54 AM »

Ive got an urgent issue with the ol' CeeBee. This sunday Im departing for the Brno racetrack but now it turns out my rear shock is leaking oil. It loses several drops per day. Ive no idea how much more oil it can lose before Im left with very little dampening. Ive no idea what rear shock it is that is currently fitted: it isnt the standard shock thats for sure. Its longer, thats why my bike stands taller now.
It seems to be standard Honda but Im not sure which model. Could be Blackbird, I dunno.

Now, Ive read somewhere that the CBR 1100 XX Blackbird's shock is a bolt on job. I can get my hands on a '99 CBR 1100 XX Blackbird's rear shock. Thats the one with a direct link system. See this link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-HONDA-CBR-1100XX-SUPER-BLACKBIRD-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-/252548603324

Since Im terribly short on time: can someone here confirm, with 100% certainty that a '99 Blackbird rear shock will fit 1 on 1 on the CeeBee? Anyone here with this shock fitted on their CB-1?

Saturday's my last day to fit another shock. after that, Im boned. Sad

Any help would be greatly appriciated
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:15:17 PM »

geez....nobody wants to ever be "boned" especially if yer a dude.
good luck. hope you can resolve it.
if you do indeed insert the BB shock, let us know how that goes.

Dash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »

Word has it the CBR 600 F2's rear shock is also a bolt on job...

Need confirmation folks Grin
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »

they may be "bolt on" jobs but from what I've been following, it appears that since these modern bikes have the "linkage" systems, the actual spring can't handle the direct resistance. correct me if I'm wrong folks...but is'nt that the case?
I suppose you'd need to still do the spring swap if that is even possible on the 600rr shock. Also, something bout where to fit that reservoir that is permanently jambed in the house on the top of the shock vs. with the hose?

Dash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »

they may be "bolt on" jobs but from what I've been following, it appears that since these modern bikes have the "linkage" systems, the actual spring can't handle the direct resistance. correct me if I'm wrong folks...but is'nt that the case?
I suppose you'd need to still do the spring swap if that is even possible on the 600rr shock. Also, something bout where to fit that reservoir that is permanently jambed in the house on the top of the shock vs. with the hose?

The '99 Blackbird shock has no resevoir nor linkage system. Its has the same direct link as the CB1 uses if I understood correctly.

But I need to know if its a bolt on job and if someone here has experience in using the Blackbird's shock.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:07:20 PM by Dash » Logged
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »

BB shock, no reservoir NOR linkage? Whatchu talkin' bout Willis? Where then where the heck if the dude who actually inserted this shock into the CB1 so we can pick his brain apart? I know we have multiple threads on this specific subject matter of the CB1 shock transplant but is there anyway we can get hold of that fellow that someone stated he did this Blackbird transplant from one of the other discussions?..............sheesh.

The '99 Blackbird shock has no resevoir nor linkage system. Its has the same direct link as the CB1 uses if I understood correctly.

But I need to know if its a bolt on job and if someone here has experience in using the Blackbird's shock.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »

Nicknitrous is your man. The thread is below this one. He hasn't updated since he fitted the thing. I too am waiting for his findings c
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »

I doubt he s gonna report back (in time).

http://hondacb1.proboards.com/thread/112

that's the guy who I got it from after some googling.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »

Well Dash:
at $42 pounds....heck I'd buy the dern thing, bolt it up and run with it...see what it does? How it behaves.
You don't have much to lose here sir.

Heck who knows you may just like it like that.

Dash

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:56:15 AM »

Id prefer it if someone were able to confirm that it will fit and work....
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:01 AM »

Dash,

I don't think it will work.  Do not get this shock.  IF you have to get another shock, get the CBR900 shock
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 05:17:51 AM »

Dash,

I don't think it will work.  Do not get this shock.  IF you have to get another shock, get the CBR900 shock

What problems do you forsee that make you say it wont work?

Which model and which year 900rr would fit then? Without modifications?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:33:52 AM by Dash » Logged
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 05:58:24 AM »

Dash,

I don't think it will work.  Do not get this shock.  IF you have to get another shock, get the CBR900 shock
There are at least two bikes out there using a blackbird shock without issues.

I think from your thread that there had been some confusion. You mention that you had bought a blackbird shock to test, but in a next post you are writing about a vtr1000 shock and it's too long and won't work.

Do you guys maybe have different designations? Blackbird is cbr1100xx, vtr1000 might be sp1, sp2 (rc51/52) or super hawk.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 06:02:52 AM »

Dash,

There are at least two bikes out there using a blackbird shock without issues.

I think from your thread that there had been some confusion. You mention that you had bought a blackbird shock to test, but in a next post you are writing about a vtr1000 shock and it's too long and won't work.

Do you guys maybe have different designations? Blackbird is cbr1100xx, vtr1000 might be sp1, sp2 (rc51/52) or super hawk.

VTR 1000 = Firestorm here and Super Hawk in yank-land
VTR SP1 & 2 are different bikes than the Firestorm (more fairing etc)

2 bikes that use Blackbird shocks without issues? We re talking the CBR 1100 XX Super Blackbird yes? If you can confirm this, Ill turn gay this instant and marry you. (ok, maybe not)

Do you also happen to know if they bolt right on?
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »

Mike fellows posted about it on the cb-1 facebook group. His bike is working fine with bb shock.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: