Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Swap Help!  (Read 735 times)
Bowman174

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »

Hi, im hoping someone can help me out i have recently purchased a CB-1 1990 model and need a replacement engine. The engine code in the bike currently is NC23-E12 and the engine i am hoping to replace it with is NC23-E10. can anyone shed any light as to whether that will be ok to replace with?

Thanks in advance.

* $_58.jpg (94.03 KB, 640x639 - viewed 113 times.)
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »

That's a great looking bike, with a lot of mods done!

The nc23 code will be found on many Honda inline four 400s, including bike model codes nc23,27,29,31,36,39,42... amongst others. Have a Google search of Honda nc** to see the wide range and age range of types of bike involved.

Those engines all share a same basic architecture but are mounted to the frame in a variety of ways using boot holes in different locations. The bad news is the CB-1 mounting is quite unique among them. You are going to need an engine taken from a CB-1. They can be recognised by the clutch cover with the disc cowling, and the bolt hole behind the cylinder barrels. For example that thread is missing on cb400sf models, and further forward on cbr400 models. I'm not really sure if you can recognise it by engine number, or if you can, how.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »

Hi, im hoping someone can help me out i have recently purchased a CB-1 1990 model and need a replacement engine. The engine code in the bike currently is NC23-E12 and the engine i am hoping to replace it with is NC23-E10. can anyone shed any light as to whether that will be ok to replace with?

Thanks in advance.

Very nice CB-1 Bowman174. Why do you need a replacement engine? Where are you based?
Bowman174

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:04:17 AM »

Hi thanks and the previous owner had put a hole in the bottom end above the sump haven't had chance to take a look at internals to see the extent of the damage however I know of a cheap running engine near me which I hoped would fit I am based in the UK.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:06:05 AM »

If you can give me a pic or two of the engine i can tell you if it will fit

Bowman174

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »

Here is a link to both the current engne problem and the one i was hoping to steal the bottom end off or completely replace with. I know its not as good condition as the current however it gets me back on the road until i could swap the internals around.

Thanks again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DAqKnW4s6-Y3JYMXVJQ0VXR2M/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DAqKnW4s6-WmdhbjlJMWJzcEU/view?usp=sharing
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »

Good news, that is a cb-1 engine and will fit.

Bowman174

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »

Great news! thank you very much for all your help!
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »

Here is a link to both the current engne problem and the one i was hoping to steal the bottom end off or completely replace with. I know its not as good condition as the current however it gets me back on the road until i could swap the internals around.

Thanks again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DAqKnW4s6-Y3JYMXVJQ0VXR2M/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DAqKnW4s6-WmdhbjlJMWJzcEU/view?usp=sharing

Probably shouldn't ask how he managed to cause that damage Bowman 174, but I'm curious. WTF was he doing?

You may be able to separate the engine and weld up the casing from inside and out, as well as filleting the crack (inside and out) that appears to have debeloped. Hopefully any stray frag hasn't damaged anything inside.

What part of the UK are you? I'm in the midlands, but I hang out down south occasionally.

Bowman174

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 06:36:13 AM »

Quick update I have decided to not go ahead with buying the engine and have decided to try and recon mine as apart from the obvious it is in really good condition , any help and advice along the way will be appreciated. I am from Scarborough so unfortunately abit far away. Does anybody know anyone who can be recommended to take a look at the engine and tell me what it needs. The previous owner said it spat a rod out the engine. Will take the engine out this weekend and post pics of internals.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »

Once there's a hole in an engine like that, an engine cannot possibly be described as in good condition!! I would definitely buy the replacement engine.

If you try to repair your engine, the very best case is you need a rod, piston, and probably a set of barrels plus all the gaskets. It's extremely unlikely to be that good of a scenario. More likely worse such as the crank shaft is scored, since the big end seizing is a likely cause of it spitting the rod in the first place. So you have to wonder why it seized a big end - is the oil pump faulty? If you don't find and resolve the root cause it can spit another rod.

You can give the replacement running engine a clean, spray can cover it black and fit all the nicely finished covers and screws off your own engine so it looks just as good. It's definitely cheaper and easier than recon your engine.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:04:57 AM by a_morti » Logged

Bowman174

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 10:29:33 AM »

ok thanks for the advice, i will try and track down a slightly better condition engine than the one photo'd when i took a look there was snapped exhaust mountings, snapped threads and the guy had no idea if it would run, said it was a runner however this was a year ago before it went down the road. there are a couple of better condition engines on ebay at the moment which look a better option to pay the little bit more money and as you say i will replace all good parts from mine onto one of those.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »

Are you on the Facebook group "Honda CB-1 cb400f"?

Fella named John is selling an engine. I've bought another part of he bike off him, good seller.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 10:47:16 PM »

Quick update I have decided to not go ahead with buying the engine and have decided to try and recon mine as apart from the obvious it is in really good condition , any help and advice along the way will be appreciated. I am from Scarborough so unfortunately abit far away. Does anybody know anyone who can be recommended to take a look at the engine and tell me what it needs. The previous owner said it spat a rod out the engine. Will take the engine out this weekend and post pics of internals.

Hope you find a decent engine Bowman174. Looks like I'm going to be doing an engine swap too. Luckily I have an American one I'm saving for my project bike. Apparently it's only got 18,000 on it, but the one that's smoking like a trooper has only got 16,000 on it.

Fun and games!! :-)
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »

Over here there s a healthy supply of CB-1 engines for sale. Suprised me, really.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: