Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 20, 2017, 09:18:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need suggestions for new front end  (Read 790 times)
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »

Just need to adjust preload spacer length and you're good to go. Maybe a good time to fit preload adjustable caps (lots on china ebay, or used frim vfr800 or vtr1000f etc).

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
ptlcb1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »

Steel braided brake line?
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:52:22 AM »

Just need to adjust preload spacer length and you're good to go. Maybe a good time to fit preload adjustable caps (lots on china ebay, or used frim vfr800 or vtr1000f etc).

preload spacer? Whats that? Kiss

Steel braided brake line?

Yup, fitted to the front and back
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »

preload spacer? Whats that? Kiss

The metal tube that sits in the fork tube on top of the spring. Adding stiffer springs will mean that the front end will compress less under the weight of the bike & rider. You may have to trim a bit off the tubes to get the correct sag settings on the front end. typically you will be looking for around 10mm with just the weight of the bike. Adding the Pre-load adjusters above means that it is easier to tweak this.
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »

This guy seems to be doing for front end suspension what Jerry Spacetiger is doing for the back end, albeit on a different bike. They're clearly brothers!!

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/05fork.htm
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »

New front end fitted.

Hawk uppers
CB-1 lowers
SAE 15 oil, 420 ml per fork
Miele Suspension Mod fitted

I cut off 2 230mm lenghts of vacuum cleaner pipe and used those as spacers Grin

Less sag and improved dampening what Ive noticed so far. Still need to test it more thoroughly though.
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »

This guy seems to be doing for front end suspension what Jerry Spacetiger is doing for the back end, albeit on a different bike. They're clearly brothers!!

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/05fork.htm

LOL

MF, I hope one day some of my work might be thought of the way Peter's work is viewed.  We do think along similar lines but he is far advanced than me; but I am a quick learner and do have some tools he does not have.

With photobucket charging a steep cost per year to host pics, I have to think about how to best post results to share with other riders.  At $400/year, you could be looking at $4,000 in 10 years... thats a lot to pay.  I may start my own site and post links to my site.  Since I have a variety of bikes, I can post work on trikes (currently on my 2nd Can Am Spyders), scooters, and a variety of different bikes.  I'll do a little searching this weekend to figure out what I'm going to do.

Now, back to the OP...  On the front end, there is much to consider when making changes in the rear.  I have decided to to swap the CB-1 front to cartridge set up using Honda (Showa) components from other Honda bikes.  Right now I have VTR1000 fork lowers so I can use two fixed 4 pot calipers.  The cartridges I will put inside the VTR lowers will come from a CBR 600 F4i because it was set up to limit front suspension travel to match up with the rear suspension travel I'm going with.  I'll use RT gold valves to set up the damping on the 22mm cartridges.  A lot of people use RT springs, I found the Penski springs to be as good, but are shorter than RT springs (260mm vs ~360mm OAL difference).  That shorter spring gives you more options to manage the air volume to negate the air spring affect near or at full fork compression.  I have started to pull together the front components because this does affect the rear set up.  The shock I was pursuing will not be the best shock after all.  I was trying to get a 2" shock working range  but that will have the rear suspension moving over too large a range compared with the front I am going with.  With the F4i cartridge, I will only need a rear shock (longer than the CB-1 shock) with about a 1.3" working range.   So, I will use the CBR900 shock as it has plenty of usable stroke.  This will save me from having to drill and tap the shock for the remote reservoir.    

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:20:39 PM by spacetiger » Logged
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 12:02:30 AM »

We already hold you in very high regard Jerry.

I like your ideas. The server idea is good too. It's all about affordable server bandwidth. This is a small forum, so you should be able to do it on a decent unlimited broadband package and an always on server running unix (Ubuntu is free) - which you can build from an old PC. Your end should be minimal to zero cost.

Photobucket is probably getting hit by Pinterest (Fugly name - nearly as bad as yahoo!) and it's shareholders are demanding a business model upgrade. Time for that Carly woman to wade in. Sorry, this may only make sense if you read ZDNet - which I don't anymore.

Bikers are much nicer than techies. I once (in 2005) blogged they Apple should launch a phone with a cutdown version of iOS onboard. I was castigated like Copernicus... Because I was less than two years early - but 100% right. That's precisely what Apple did in 2007.

You're not only a quick learner Jerry, you're an empirical learner and you get stuff done. Plus you can teach. That's a great combination. Add some tech to that mix.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: