Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dash and CeeBee went to Brno and even got back!  (Read 623 times)
Dash

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »

Me and CeeBee are back from Brno. 3 days racing there with No Limits.

The bike was, in true Honda style, impervious to faults or breaking down. I was wringing its neck and it just wouldnt go wrong. Gotta love that little engine. Did stall once while riding, but thats because I forgot to fill her up *cough*

The S20 Evo's were great. not a single slip or slide. The standard size tyres are a bit on the slim side, which makes leaning the bike over too far a scary proposition. But that is greatly remedied by hanging off the bike.

Stock brake with sintered pads and steel braided hose was up to the task. not a single trace of fading or other misery. Even under hard emergency braking it was up to the job.

Fork seals went leaking again, though. darnit... need to find a find a front end to swap in. Maybe something with dual discs while Im at it.

I had no issues with groudn clereance thanks to the Blackbird shock. That thing is amasing on the CB-1 for a light guy.

I duid suffer a major BHP shortage on the straight bits. Got completely massacred hahaha.
In the corners I was keeping up better and better as time prgressed. I got braver and braver and as my corner entry speed was increasing, so was my overal cornering speed. Was I the slowest of the lot as we strarted out, at the end I was keeping up quite decently with the lot on their modern sportsbikes.

Forced myself later on to ride in a lower gear so I would be in the power curve of the CB. That also helped a bit to maintain a faster pace.

Even managed to overtake a Tuono and ZX 6 R and keep them behind me for the remainder of the sessions. they didnt reel me in on the straights again which means I was actaully pulling away from them in the corners  Shocked

It was very entertaining, even though I lacked power. Im very much thinking of taking the CB to other trackdays.

Nice detail: My bike mates are bashing the CB whenever they can (it even got called a museum piece  Embarrassed ) but the other folks I spoke all loved the little thing. Got some praise here and there for the way I was going round on such an old, low power bike. A fellow naked ride told me that he was impressed as he saw me 'working that thing around like a maniac'

Tongue

Here are some pictures the photographer took:

Some actual footage will follow. I did one of the earlier sessions with the GoPro mounted. Later on my borther filmed me (without me noticing he was behind me) when I was going a tad faster.

Keep posted for those clips in case you r einterested. Will post them here when ready.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »

Nothing to add but "like!" Smiley

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »

"Dang Freakin' Awesome" nice shots!......very nice.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »

Dash, your empirical contribution to our collective learning curve is far greater than you might imagine bro.

As I pointed out in the other thread, unless I'm very much mistaken, your experience dispels the notion that dropping the front forks on a CB-1 just 43mm 'rakes them out' too much. Indeed I believe this is a real world experience of what Jerry Spacetiger plotted on his chart of many different models and styles of bikes.

Furthermore,  raising the back end seems to return the bike back to its standard (racy quick turn in) rake. And despite the fact that the combined effect of both modifications raises the centre of gravity somewhat, the fact that you just went unlimited track racing your straight bar CB-1 for three days and found no ill effects, further validates all our attempts to sensibly modify CB-1s to get more out of them.

How much of your success was due to your excellent tyre choice, or your light stature and growing race skills is another story. I doubt I could keep up with you. 1978 version - maybe!;-)

This is a great bike forum. Everyone co-operates. Far better than the sarcastic fkrs on VisorDown!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:36:20 PM by ModerateFkr » Logged
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 04:56:54 AM »

I was on VD many years ago, left about the time it was sold to a magazine publisher and went downhill. I also use customfighters (nice if you like hacked up bikes and rednecks) and therevcounter (gone way downhill since Brexit threads took over).

I like this forum. On topic, mininal politics (there's other places to shout at either side of a brick wall) and helpful. Keep it up guys Smiley

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 05:54:55 AM »

Excellent post and comments.

While you ran up against modern, higher displacement bikes, I would say the CB-1 would be [can be made] very competitive to the new crop of modern smaller displacement bikes:  R-3, KTM 390, Ninja 300 and CBR300.  I was considering an R-3 when the CB-1 came up.  I think sorting out the brakes and suspension while throwing in a few power train mods and dropping a few pounds will have the CB-1 more than capable enough to take on that crowd.

Did you by chance notice any of these bikes at the event?

Jerry
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 06:27:43 AM »

I have to agree with you lot. This is an exellent forum and Im happy I found it. I love old bikes. I love small, agile bikes even more. My bike mates don't: they re all wrapped up in who has the most BHP and the raciest bike. Dont get me wrong, they re great people and are a hoot to be around, but our taste in motorcycles is -very- different and they just dont understand what I like about the CB-1 and the Hawk (when I rode one back in the days). Its like talking to a brick wall, so Ive given up trying them to see my point and just have fun on my CB (which Im pretty sure stands for Cute Bike) ignoring their ramblings.

This place though, filled with great helpful people who love the CB-1 for what it is: small, agile, old and underpowered Grin You guys saved my bacon with your quick replies when the Blackbird Shock Crisis was ongoing, for which im still very grateful. Wink

I once read words of truth on the internet (yes, everything on the internet is true, but still): "its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow" I believe this to be the mantra for bikes like the CB-1. I for one, will be bored to death on a GSXR, R1 or somesuch. Those bikes just dont have anything to offer me. Sure, they re plenty fast but they have zero appeal to me. the BMW S 1000 RR is all the sheet over here. For me, its just another 'sports bike with plastic on it.'

When I was wrestling the CB around the track I was grinning every second. Racing a small, screaming naked bike where you see and feel everything the bike does, while getting hammered by wind blast is an experience no million BHP racebike can ever give me.

I wonder who had more fun out there: them or me...

@ Jerry: no. I was the smallest bike there at 400 CC's (399 if we`re gonna be critics). Then 2 or 3 600 cc 4-in-lines. Rest was all 750 or bigger.
But no amount of BHP can help you in the corners.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:42:05 AM by Dash » Logged
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »

Dash....it's called "Miles of Smiles" on the CB1.
You are preaching to my choir when you speak of smaller displacement motorcycles and one so well balanced as the CB1.
I have many friends, family members who  are avid riders, yet they feel that anything under a 1000cc bike, you're a puss......so I hear where you are a comin' from sir.
Awesome pictures on that CB1....really nice. Keep the rubber side down and keep riding the CB1.

stussels

Finally! HondaCB1.org is here!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »

sweet Grin

'90 CB-1
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 05:20:00 AM »

Here is the uneddited footage of my bro chasing me on his ZX 10 R for a lap of Brno. I didnt know he was behind me until we were red flagged for the end of the session at horsepower hill and I checked behind me for other riders coming up behind me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIKZUKP-sO4

And here's an earlier session I filmed myself in 2 parts:

https://youtu.be/1nxdKtLWxC4

https://youtu.be/B3v9oKboLBs

I went around a bit smoother and quicker after filming this. Im amased how quickly you improve. 0_o
(or im just that vrappy that the way up is easier hahahahaha )

Next up is Zandvoort on the 11th august. Already looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:47:24 PM by Dash » Logged
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »

Hi Dash, So glad you enjoyed your trackday on the little CB-1. I did my 1st few trackdays on an S20 shod CB-1 and have really fond memories of the little bike and how much it surprised guys on bigger, more modern sportsbikes. Yes they blasted past me on the straights but the bike always held it's own in the corners.

There is a downside - trackdays are addictive - you have been warned  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: