Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:35:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhaust Diameter  (Read 241 times)
hyoirie

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »

Hi There

I am looking to fit an aftermarket can, however I will need to have a link pipe made for this
purpose.  Can anyone advise of the diameter of the exhaust pipe where I will cut the rear silencer off?

Thanks for reading.

Gareth
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »

Have you considered fitting a flat adapter plate for a bolt on silencer?

Other than that, i believe the pipe is 52mm, but I'm going back a few years.

Look to cut below the mid pipe silencer  (two spot welds) if you want full noise / breathing ability.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »

Have you considered fitting a flat adapter plate for a bolt on silencer?

Other than that, i believe the pipe is 52mm, but I'm going back a few years.

Look to cut below the mid pipe silencer  (two spot welds) if you want full noise / breathing ability.

Is there a silencer in the mid pipe, as well as the silencer can itself a_morti? Do you know of anyone who's cut one of these things open and taken detailed photos?

I'm interested in the dynsmics of modern motorcycle exhaust systems, and trying to figure out what aspects of their designs are for performance, and which are to comply with noise and emissions regulations.

They're all very heavy, so I'm guessing some aspects are also to make them robust enough to withstand impact with the road.

Other considerations are more obviously determined by cost and ease of manufacture, such as the horrendously ugly filler welding on the 4-1 link, and the choice of mild steel instead of stainless on the US Smurf models. The rotting that occurs on even relatively low milage bikes behind the headers/down pipes where they connect to the head is testimony to that.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »

Do these prices seem cheap? I can't see a Picclick UK link in the drop down menu. Maybe BREXIT killed it already...!

https://picclick.es/Motor-recambios-y-accesorios/Motos-recambios/Escapes-y-sistemas-de-escape/Silenciadores-Silenciosos/
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »

There is a silencer in the link pipe. It's much like a simple glass pack construction,  held in place by two plug welds in the link pipe, which are visible from the outside. I'm pretty sure it's not about performance! It reduces the pipe diameter quite a lot.

I'd say it's for noise but also to help keep the size of the silencer itself smaller.

I've seen a few cb1s with one-off link pipes. A lot including one I owned were quite ugly and full of tight S bends, but a good job can be done. Seems the trick is to cut pretty low and remove that silencer, giving enough space for a gentle curve.

If you're changing stuff, consider using a cbr900 rear hanger. Squashes up the passenger legs but if you don't often go two-up, it's worth it for the extra clearance you gain, as the silencer is carried a couple inches higher.

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »

Do these prices seem cheap? I can't see a Picclick UK link in the drop down menu. Maybe BREXIT killed it already...!

https://picclick.es/Motor-recambios-y-accesorios/Motos-recambios/Escapes-y-sistemas-de-escape/Silenciadores-Silenciosos/
Too cheap,  chinese crap.

Have an eBay search for demon stainless exhaust. Lots of sizes and designs,  cheap, made in uk, comes with baffle.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »

Thank you for the confirmation a_morti. That sucker needs to go for sure! This winter will see some surgery me thinks.

Here's the UK link I couldn't see on the Italian site. It seems Google doesn't like this site at all. I see why. It searches ebay better than Google OR ebay! And probably doesn't send you irritating emails asking: "Does Honda CB-1 seat still catch your eye?" Only marginally less annoying than the Pintarest link comments on Google image searches.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »

Just be mindful of trying to get more than you paid for. Those chinese exhausts  made of thick steel and very heavy then sticker / hydro coated with carbon look film which burns off. The demon exhausts look to be the best vfm in the budget end of the market. They offer so many styles you're bound to find something you like.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: