Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
October 23, 2018, 09:25:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New bike a Republican? (aka my bike doesn't lean LEFT).  (Read 2876 times)
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »

I document most of my work so I have lots of photos. Too many. Anyways, I organize by areas of interest and project. In each master folder I create a "Low-Res" folder.

You need a PC to do this (wish Mac could do it) for this "hack":
1 Select your photos for downsizing (you can multi-select as many as you want).

2 Right click > Send To > Mail recipient. This launches a dialogue window Attach files
3 Select picture size "Smaller" or whatever will create file size you desire. Experiment as your results may vary.

4 Select Attach (launches MS Office Outlook for me)

5 Select all the attachment files in the email that Outlook has started and Ctrl+X (cut to clipboard) or drag to the "Low Res folder" you should have already made.

6 Now go back to your forum post and select and attach the appropriate downsized photo you just created. Done.

BTW I haven't been able to post more than 1 photo at a time to this forum even though each image is under the imposed 128kb limit. It might add the size of all photos (dumb).

That's a very handy tip RVFRick. And you've posted nice pics.

You can do something similar on a Mac using Preview. I know it works individually. You click Save as in the menu bar and select the file size.

Sadly I'm only able to get on the net via my iPhone right now, and every photo is always too big. It might be possible to email each shot to myself as a smaller file, then import it back into my albums...! These sites are really all about the ads, so they're limiting their server bandwidth to users to allow the ads to do their thing uninterrupted. Other sites are much much worse. All newspaper sites are criminally sluggish - all due to the ads loading!

Anyway, have you tried reproducing your issue by moving or pressing on any suspect parts?

The point I was making about copper is that it ages. Also, damp can cause corision where copper wire connects to brass, creating a dry joint.

Have a look at your side stand kill switch. It's whole life is lived in the road splash, and every drop of water that ever fell on the bike - ended up down there somewhere eventually.

Plus, your side stand has mass which might move as you hint you're going to vote for the Dems...!;)

spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »

I document most of my work so I have lots of photos. Too many. Anyways, I organize by areas of interest and project. In each master folder I create a "Low-Res" folder.

You need a PC to do this (wish Mac could do it) for this "hack":
1 Select your photos for downsizing (you can multi-select as many as you want).

2 Right click > Send To > Mail recipient. This launches a dialogue window Attach files
3 Select picture size "Smaller" or whatever will create file size you desire. Experiment as your results may vary.

4 Select Attach (launches MS Office Outlook for me)

5 Select all the attachment files in the email that Outlook has started and Ctrl+X (cut to clipboard) or drag to the "Low Res folder" you should have already made.

6 Now go back to your forum post and select and attach the appropriate downsized photo you just created. Done.

BTW I haven't been able to post more than 1 photo at a time to this forum even though each image is under the imposed 128kb limit. It might add the size of all photos (dumb).

Thanks Rick
RVFRick

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 02:08:33 AM »

I went to start up my bike today. Full choke, push starter, started right up. Revs rose to 3k and I kept her there for 10 seconds. Tilted left, no change. WTH!?! Tried again. Steady idle. Tilted further to and fro trying to get 'er to stumble but she'd have none of it.

I realized the fuel cock was OFF so turned to ON and repeated motions. No change. After a minute or so on choke I saw the temp gauge bump so I started to ease off the choke to 50%. Idled fine. More rocking, etc. and no strange symptoms.

Popped open gas cap to see if there would be any change (vacuum maybe, who knows?). Nada. Lastly, set fuel cock to RES and no inking of change. Choke off after about 90 seconds. Idle settled to about 1200-1300.

Go figure, the demon has been exorcised! Grin At least for now. Roll Eyes

I rev'ed the engine for a few more minutes to see if any stumbling would occur. Nope, she purrs like a kitten. Well I'd like to claim I fixed the problem but I did absolutely nothing. If condition changes I will update y'all. Thanks for everyone's efforts.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.
RVF400, CB-1, C70, C70, C70
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 02:43:52 AM »

could have been bad gas from the tank?
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 05:38:50 AM »

I went to start up my bike today. Full choke, push starter, started right up. Revs rose to 3k and I kept her there for 10 seconds. Tilted left, no change. WTH!?! Tried again. Steady idle. Tilted further to and fro trying to get 'er to stumble but she'd have none of it.

I realized the fuel cock was OFF so turned to ON and repeated motions. No change. After a minute or so on choke I saw the temp gauge bump so I started to ease off the choke to 50%. Idled fine. More rocking, etc. and no strange symptoms.

Popped open gas cap to see if there would be any change (vacuum maybe, who knows?). Nada. Lastly, set fuel cock to RES and no inking of change. Choke off after about 90 seconds. Idle settled to about 1200-1300.

I rev'ed the engine for a few more minutes to see if any stumbling would occur. Nope, she purrs like a kitten. Well I'd like to claim I fixed the problem but I did absolutely nothing. If condition changes I will update y'all. Thanks for everyone's efforts.

Combover Syndrome. The GOP will be announcing a cure any day now...? Wink

But seriously RVFRick, if Spacetiger is right, maybe some dirt was lodged in one of the jets and it flopped over as your CB-1 had momentary thoughts of how Sanders was done in by the DNC!

I realise that being a Brit I'm not supposed to be up on such matters, but my geopolitical radar extends from Washington to Moscow, Tel Aviv to Beiging. Old habits die hard. It's just UK politics that seem so boring and irrelevant these days. Dirty fuel/dirty money all originate in the same place...!

Plus, I notice that tank rust is a common problem on CB-1s. This is due to the fact that the filler caps don't seal properly. I found shitloads of road dirt in the top section of my Japanese model, and a smurf tank I bought was infested with red rust throughout the bottom half. There were big flakes slushing around in the fuel residue. These are both carb killers.

The PO broke up a beautiful low Km bike because he couldn't solve the problem. He stripped the carbs multiple times - yet failed to cure the tank. The tank filter was also split, suggesting someone had tried to solve the problem at some point.

I remember when it was not only possible, but not uncommon to spot someone repairing a motorcycle on the roadside. I even saw a guy stripping his carb one day. It was a British single of course. Now, I have to remove the rank and airbox to gain half decent access to the spark plugs! The compression test is going to be an even more interesting challenge.

Many design choices are influenced by stylistic demands. A heavy steel perimeter is clearly prettier than a cradle (and represents a lesson from history, as well as a stage in the superbike learning cruve), but is is any better than what Fritz Egli did for the Honda CB750 in 1974?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:41:26 AM by ModerateFkr » Logged
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

perhaps the whole "rust in tank" issues also have a lot to do with where in the world you live.
Doesn't it rain all the time in the UK? isn't it always "muggy and dreary" there? Here where I live, I've never seen a tank with rust in it unless it's by the beach or comes from, well....the UK.

I'm sure the seals on the tank were "supposed" to work fine under 'normal weather environmental' conditions but in places where it's high levels of humidity, not sure materials were made to operate properly and be maintained properly in those places.

I lived in South Florida for most of my young/early adult life.....and everything............"I MEAN EVERYTHING" there had mold, mildew, rust, corrosion issues....why? Because there's too much moisture in the air and materials such as rubber and metal don't like that too much.

Just my opinion but you know what they say..."with my opinion and 75cents you can buy a pack of gum".

Combover Syndrome. The GOP will be announcing a cure any day now...? Wink

But seriously RVFRick, if Spacetiger is right, maybe some dirt was lodged in one of the jets and it flopped over as your CB-1 had momentary thoughts of how Sanders was done in by the DNC!

I realise that being a Brit I'm not supposed to be up on such matters, but my geopolitical radar extends from Washington to Moscow, Tel Aviv to Beiging. Old habits die hard. It's just UK politics that seem so boring and irrelevant these days. Dirty fuel/dirty money all originate in the same place...!

Plus, I notice that tank rust is a common problem on CB-1s. This is due to the fact that the filler caps don't seal properly. I found shitloads of road dirt in the top section of my Japanese model, and a smurf tank I bought was infested with red rust throughout the bottom half. There were big flakes slushing around in the fuel residue. These are both carb killers.

The PO broke up a beautiful low Km bike because he couldn't solve the problem. He stripped the carbs multiple times - yet failed to cure the tank. The tank filter was also split, suggesting someone had tried to solve the problem at some point.

I remember when it was not only possible, but not uncommon to spot someone repairing a motorcycle on the roadside. I even saw a guy stripping his carb one day. It was a British single of course. Now, I have to remove the rank and airbox to gain half decent access to the spark plugs! The compression test is going to be an even more interesting challenge.

Many design choices are influenced by stylistic demands. A heavy steel perimeter is clearly prettier than a cradle (and represents a lesson from history, as well as a stage in the superbike learning cruve), but is is any better than what Fritz Egli did for the Honda CB750 in 1974?

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »

perhaps the whole "rust in tank" issues also have a lot to do with where in the world you live.
Doesn't it rain all the time in the UK? isn't it always "muggy and dreary" there? Here where I live, I've never seen a tank with rust in it unless it's by the beach or comes from, well....the UK.

Possibly, but despite the fact that the UK is an island nation, or perhaps more accurately, a disunited kingdom of islands, the weather does actually vary a great deal from area to area. Weather modification tends to be the predominant cause of the low overcast gloom of which you speak. Plus, Japan is also an island nation that has its fair share of rain.

I'm sure the seals on the tank were "supposed" to work fine under 'normal weather environmental' conditions but in places where it's high levels of humidity, not sure materials were made to operate properly and be maintained properly in those places.

Are you? If you look at the design it's actually wide open to the elements at all times. Whilst the hinged fuel cap seals the neck adequately via the spring loaded rubber washer, there's a significant gap all around the hinged locking cap and ring that's screwed to the tank. Now this wouldn't matter if there wasn't a drain off hole in the recess that houses the neck, for any fuel splashed outside the neck in that recess, to drain into the tank.

THAT'S how the water is capable of getting in unimpeded. I'm guessing quantity of rain, general humidity, average temperature and how often bikes are ridden and stored in the rain all also play a part, as does the amount of water there is in the local fuel.

The way I figured this out was greatly assisted by my discovery of a very unhealthy layer of road dust in both my tanks. But in order to prove my theory, I watered my empty smurf tank with the locking cap fastened. Water got in as if invited by a gardener!

Some locking caps are actually more open. Indeed I've got one. Not sure which Honda it's off, possibly a Hawk or Super Four. More recent ones all appear to be a much tighter fit, possibly tight enough to resist water ingress. I'm attributing this to Honda also figuring out what the cause of rusty tanks is.

My solution is twofold. I'm applying for a visa to visit So-Cal with a view to finding a nicer climate for my little Honda. And while I'm waiting for the CIA guys in Barkley Square to perform their checks, and I obtain my TSA vaccinations, I'm going to add a dohnut shaped sponge to that recess to catch the water Wink

I lived in South Florida for most of my young/early adult lIfe.....and everything............"I MEAN EVERYTHING" there had mold, mildew, rust, corrosion issues....why? Because there's too much moisture in the air and materials such as rubber and metal don't like that too much.

Just my opinion but you know what they say..."with my opinion and 75cents you can buy a pack of gum".

A friend of mine died in Florida. Another friend invested half his savings in an aircraft business venture and lost the lot. Now I know what to blame for both... It was the mildew!!!!;)
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »

if you do indeed ever make it to SoCal...be prepared for two things:
1. I'll buy ya a pint and we can talk $h!t about politics, religion and motorcycles, not necessarily in that order.
2. You may want to consider stayin' a while once you see the weather (sunshine) here ALL......THE.....TIME....just sayin'.

I like the donut ring idea. Wink

My solution is twofold. I'm applying for a visa to visit So-Cal with a view to finding a nicer climate for my little Honda. And while I'm waiting for the CIA guys in Barkley Square to perform their checks, and I obtain my TSA vaccinations, I'm going to add a dohnut shaped sponge to that recess to catch the water Wink

I lived in South Florida for most of my young/early adult lIfe.....and everything............"I MEAN EVERYTHING" there had mold, mildew, rust, corrosion issues....why? Because there's too much moisture in the air and materials such as rubber and metal don't like that too much.

A friend of mine died in Florida. Another friend invested half his savings in an aircraft business venture and lost the lot. Now I know what to blame for both... It was the mildew!!!!;)

RVFRick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 01:43:36 AM »

The problem and them some have returned 8 months later  Angry

Since this thread went off topic toward the end I started a new one here http://www.hondacb1.org/forum/index.php/topic,5612.0.html

This thread is now locked.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.
RVF400, CB-1, C70, C70, C70
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: