Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 13, 2017, 05:21:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor coolant leak  (Read 358 times)
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »

Hey,

I've got a really slow coolant leak coming from a couple of places and had a couple of questions:

- The thin hose that runs from the bottom of the coolant reservoir to the thermostat housing, it weeps from the bottom point where the hose goes onto the coolant res tank nozzle. The original clip is still on there but has probably worn. The end of the hose is also a bit tatty. Is it worth replacing the entire hose, or just the clip? If so does anyone know what diameter hosing it uses and can I use something aftermarket? It doesn't look like that should be a specific motorcycle thing

- When the bike sits for awhile without being run, I get a bit of coolant leaking out of the right angle metal coolant pipe. I see the o-ring inside fails if it dries out, is it as simply as undoing the clamp holding it in, and replacing the o-ring inside? What size O-ring too?

Cheers,
James

Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:35:21 AM »

Chances are the hose is a bit perished so it wouldn't hurt to replace the hose and the clips (you can use regular jubilee clips). From memory 6mm internal bore hose will fit and you can use most types of plastic pipe or even fuel hose as the coolant isn't under pressure at this point. The hose will be a tight fit so it helps to heat the end up in hot water to soften it.

replacing the O-rings is as easy as draining down the coolant, unbolting the retaining bolt on the pipe, cleaning off any scale / corrosion on the fitting and in the engine block and then re-fitting everything with the new o-ring. Don't forget to run the engine to bleed any air out of the system.
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it should be an easy fix i'll do soon once my carb air screws have arrived. I don't suppose anyone knows the size of the o-rings?
Efreeman55

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »

You should be very gentle removing the small hose from the coolant reservoir as it can easily be broken due to age/heat/etc. Some gentle twisting and perhaps a bit of heat should do the trick.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »

Is there enough slack on the reservoir hose to shorten it? Might help to cut off the first couple cm so the clip (which should be fine) has something decent to grip on.

Those O rings went on mine. I had to get some from honda as they were an odd sizs. That was some 10 years ago - before the internet was as useful as it is now.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/91301-my9-003/b730578?m=151617&sch=20455

Even now it seems to be a funny size and not expensive from honda anyway.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 06:52:19 PM »

Or upgrade to viton rubber.

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172467234959

Not sure it's worh the trouble though. Originals lasted 30 years on yours already, seems fair!

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:29:03 AM »

Cheers for the info and links! I'll get those O rings ordered.

Good shout on shortening the hose, i'll see if it has enough slack to trim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: