Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
October 23, 2017, 01:00:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creaking noise when coming out of compressed suspension  (Read 197 times)
Dash

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »

Ive been to the Nurburgring and did some touring in the Eiffel.

But now that Im back, I notice there's a 'creaking' sound when I get off the bike. Or more general: when the rear shock uncompresses, there s a creaking sound that wasn t there before. It seems to come from the rear mono shock. Im not sure if that s the source of the sound though, but Im pretty sure it is.

Any idea what could cause this and how I can fix it? It sounds scary Q_Q
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »

Bike on centre stand, remove lower bolt from shock absorber. Lift rear wheel. Does it creak? If yes, it's your swingarm bearings. It's not a bad job to do on a bike with centre stand. It's much easier to get the swingarm out if you loosen the two rear engine mounting bolts.

Also remove the bushing from the lower shock connection, check the needle bearing condition as this can also get rusty.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »

I dont have a centre stand anymore due to increased height.

I hosed the entire rear shock with universal lubricant. The creaking sound is gone. I can still hear very slight mechanical noise though. could it be harmful or can I put it on the screw-it-let-the-mechanic-look-at-it list im creating for the winter?
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:02:15 PM »

Put a piece of wood under the centre stand, and it will work again Smiley

If dousing the shock in WD40 helped, it's probably the bottom bearing of the shock absorber. Not so difficult to replace when you have a centre stand. Riding it til winter won't do too much harm; if the bearing has failed it'll give a lot of warning before it really gets dangerous.

Double check if the top and bottom bolts are tight on the shock absorber.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »

Put a piece of wood under the centre stand, and it will work again Smiley

If dousing the shock in WD40 helped, it's probably the bottom bearing of the shock absorber. Not so difficult to replace when you have a centre stand. Riding it til winter won't do too much harm; if the bearing has failed it'll give a lot of warning before it really gets dangerous.

Double check if the top and bottom bolts are tight on the shock absorber.

Thanks!

Im going to a mate's tonight who has a workshop set up in his garage. Hopefully we can sort it out there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: