Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 11, 2017, 09:43:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: choke issue while leaning on side stand  (Read 335 times)
vancb1

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »

Hoping the collective resources here might help me out with a puzzle.
I've had an 89 CB-1 for a while now and love it, but it has recently developed a strange problem when starting and using the choke.

If I start it up before getting on and it's leaning on the side stand it will be really hard to start and the choke doesn't seem to work. If I get on the bike and hold it upright then it starts first try every time and the choke works as you would expect. So for the past while this is what I've been doing, but it's got me wondering what the problem is.

Once the bike is warmed up and the choke is off there's no problem at all no matter how the bike leans. In fact it runs fantastically. 
But, if the bike is warming up and the choke is on, if it is leaned over to the left the revs start to go down and it will die. Leaning to the right has no impact and the revs stay the same. The choke just seems to become ineffective when leaning to the left..

I've tried different handlebar positions while starting to see if there's a cable problem, but no change.

It's currently at the shop getting some new tires and they're going to take a look into it, but seemed pretty puzzled as well.

Any thoughts?

* 2.jpg (105.64 KB, 900x598 - viewed 74 times.)
vancb1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »

I see someone else here posted what sounds like the same problem, but it cleared up on its own after a bit.
Maybe I'll be so lucky!
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »

I see someone else here posted what sounds like the same problem, but it cleared up on its own after a bit.
Maybe I'll be so lucky!

This is seriously odd vancb1. It's like déjà vous all over again! I'm not buying the conspiracy theory that CB-1s are Republicans though.

Have you tried leaning the bike to the left against a wall using a foam pad instead of the stand? The only reason to do so is in attempt to eliminate the micro switch on the side stand as the cause. It's not an unreasonable suspect. There's a wire going from the link between the kill switch and the main loom - to a tiny switch in one of the most remote and wettest parts of the bike, and it's connected to a frequently used mechanical arm. If it's periodically cutting out due to a poor connection, we perhaps shouldn't be too surprised.

Good luck. You could disconnect the connection to the micro switch and divert a new wire to replicate the function to see if the problem is still there.

vancb1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:46:23 PM »

I had come across that thought somewhere else, but if I start it with choke on standing up (with or without the kickstand down) the revs start dropping as soon as you lean it over left. Even before the kickstand touches the ground. And also if the kickstand is up so..
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »

Mine does the same. No idea why but it will be to do with the carbs somehow. I've had mine apart and fitted new seals so that's not it.

Has yours had a period laid up recently? Mine was out of action for several years, maybe fuel dried out in a tiny passage of the choke circuit.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
vancb1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:21:30 AM »

Well, the problem didn't show up when the mechanics looked at it.. go figure.

Maybe it was just some not so great gas. It hasn't been laid up for any great period since I got it. Maybe a month or two in the winter. I suppose the ethanol in our gas  here could go bad in that little time.

What's the usual recommendation for gas? I can get 94 octane gas here with guaranteed no ethanol, but that seems awfully high octane for an '89 bike.
See Bee-Won

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:29:45 PM »

I would run a tank or two through and see what it does. Can't hurt.  I buy ethanol free 90 octane at a station nearby and my bike loves it. Snappier throttle response, smoother idle, and no more nasty stale gas smell from the exhaust at startup if it sits for a week or more.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: