Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 11, 2017, 09:44:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedo needle install?  (Read 224 times)
nightkid

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »

Hi all
I have a broken speedo needle on the bike.  Got a replacement one; does it matter at which angle I press it in, maybe a datum angle to align the needle before pressing it in?  I press it in without much thought first time round and it doesn't seem to be registering any speed until I guess I hit around 20-30mph on the bike.  Is it just a matter of offsetting it by that much when I reinstall the needle or is something fundamental wrong? Nothing in the service manual about removing the needle and reinstalling it. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »

I have not done this on a CB-1.  Did it once on a CB700SC, the needle disintegrated it was that fragile.  I used a 1990's needle and it pressed straight on with no issues.

Carefully try just moving the needle by hand and see if there is any free play.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »

Trick is to flip the needle up over the stop before you remove it, that will give you your datum. Now, just set it to minus 25mph, flip it back over the stop, then go ride to test it.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
nightkid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »

Ok I'll give that a try.  Think I need someone to ride ahead of me with a set speed to see how accurate mine is.  Not sure how accurate GPS on your phone is these days.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:44 PM »

Phone GPS is pretty accurate. It has a tiny lag but if you can get yourself on a nice long straight road at a steady speed that's not a problem.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: