Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 13, 2017, 05:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian Wet Dreams  (Read 330 times)
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »

When we look at bikes designed in Japan in the 1970s, '80s, '90s and beyond, we need to ask where the likes of Honda had to go to find design and style influences. Here's one place they might well have lingered for a while:

http://thevintagent.us15.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4748e120818c672cb0bb821db&id=d1bedeba47&e=b81fc3451d

Take a look at the tank paint scheme 3NCORE, and the frame colour VintageHunter. Smiley

Sorry, I still can't post photos. But it's the 1969 MV 750, a double overhead camshaft inclined four cylinder four stroke, and a classic as soon as it left the factory.

This bike is very different in many ways from Honda's CB-1, but designers ask several questions including: What works? What's not being done by the competition? What references are credible to pay tribte to TODAY? Time and place is very relevant.

So, after three decades of mostly fairly upright four stroke multies, that got fairly out of hand with Honda's CB1000 Six, famously influenced by Beneli's 750 Sei, itself a clear copy of Honda's CB750 Four, something had to change. That's how we got the CB-1.

If you go back through the history of motorcycle design, as the factory designers do themselves, it's fascinating to study the trends and find the originals. Any idea why Suzuki is able to use 'Bandit' as a model name? It involves a prototype and a visit by a number of Japanese bike manufacturers to a British factory in the 1960s, and possibly one of the greatest missed opporunities of all time.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »

And here's an early perimeter frame from 1930:

http://thevintagent.us15.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=4748e120818c672cb0bb821db&id=02e35ac05b&e=b81fc3451d
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »

Advanced yet traditional American wet dreams from LA:

http://thevintagent.us15.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=4748e120818c672cb0bb821db&id=87f60ce1ad&e=b81fc3451d

The guys who said 'We ain't done with girder forks, side valves, sprung saddles or instant roadside owner customisation'! What else should we expect from the country that brought us Ray Kroc's innovations? I'm seriously impressed.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:50:38 AM by ModerateFkr » Logged
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »

wow....beautiful find.
superb filming. I'm diggin' on those compressed air-type pull off hoses....nice idea.
really impressive.

great find Moderate.
Advanced yet traditional American wet dreams from LA:

http://thevintagent.us15.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=4748e120818c672cb0bb821db&id=87f60ce1ad&e=b81fc3451d

The guys who said 'We ain't done with girder forks, side valves, sprung saddles or instant roadside owner customisation'! What else should we expect from the country that brought us Ray Kroc's innovations? I'm seriously impressed.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »

Moderate:
here was a vid I found on the net. They reside in LA....humm....humm...roadtrip anyone?

wow.

https://youtu.be/uQV-tLbi4iA

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »

lemme see if I can do this...

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »

Moderate:
here was a vid I found on the net. They reside in LA....humm....humm...roadtrip anyone?

wow.

That's what I mean about great design VH. There are lots of things to not like about that bike, for instance the retro bars that predate Vincent - the company, the split tank design that's a posh rip off of the police Harley, and the US centric 'STOP' light. But even though I persinally find those 'wrong' for the period of the original bike, I love it. They've simply done amazing, peerless work, and I REALLY admire that.

And I knew they were in LA, I mentioned that. And that's partly why I posted it. They make Nortons only a few miles from me but I have virtually zero interest in them, any more than I do in the Triumphs everyone has been getting all wet panties about for years now. Why? Because both amount to little more than whoring great, but long dead names and reimagining retro for a generation that never commuted in the rain 12 months of the year.

Thank you for the  H U G E  pic. Great detail. How did you do that? This site rejects pic I've taken on my iPhone!!? Agreed, every detail is impressive. I love their philosophy.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:20:40 PM »

Damn! I think I'm turning into Roger Sterling!
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »

Agree on the split-tank thing. didn't like that too much. the "stop" rear is kinda neat.
I'm just impressed with all the quick-release type stuff they put on this bike.
Makes adjustments with no tools real slick.

here's how I put that "Y U G E" picture up.

someone here taught me this...think it was Sugs so kudos to him.

step 1. go to the website where that picture exists.
step 2. copy/paste the web of where the actual picture is.
step 3. paste the address into the body of a reply on this forum and add the "[_img_]" at the front of the address and "[_/img_]" at the back of the address and the picture shows up.

I had to add spaces in front of the brackets and at the end of the brackeets so the "IMG" would show up but you don't need to add those spaces but do need the brackets I'm showing in bold.

thats it.
Moderate:

wow.

That's what I mean about great design VH. There are lots of things to not like about that bike, for instance the retro bars that predate Vincent - the company, the split tank design that's a posh rip off of the police Harley, and the US centric 'STOP' light. But even though I persinally find those 'wrong' for the period of the original bike, I love it. They've simply done amazing, peerless work, and I REALLY admire that.

And I knew they were in LA, I mentioned that. And that's partly why I posted it. They make Nortons only a few miles from me but I have virtually zero interest in them, any more than I do in the Triumphs everyone has been getting all wet panties about for years now. Why? Because both amount to little more than whoring great, but long dead names and reimagining retro for a generation that never commuted in the rain 12 months of the year.

Thank you for the  H U G E  pic. Great detail. How did you do that? This site rejects pic I've taken on my iPhone!!? Agreed, every detail is impressive. I love their philosophy.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:38:49 PM by VintageHunter » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: