Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 21, 2017, 08:48:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool thing on eBay  (Read 567 times)
a_morti

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »

Just browsing and spotted this. Not worth shipping it to Europe but might hold interest for one of you fellas.
Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.com/itm/272805711930

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »

Just browsing and spotted this. Not worth shipping it to Europe but might hold interest for one of you fellas.

Great find a_morti

A PDF of this should be in the archive. Anyone interested in saving it for posterity?
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »

Gone...I just bought it.
I can scan it when I get if if anyone is interested and post to someones site for PDF downloading.
I mean, who is gonna make a profit (really...) off an article about an obscure old motorcycle and become rich....highly unlikely.

Great find a_morti

A PDF of this should be in the archive. Anyone interested in saving it for posterity?

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »

Gone...I just bought it.
I can scan it when I get if if anyone is interested and post to someones site for PDF downloading.
I mean, who is gonna make a profit (really...) off an article about an obscure old motorcycle and become rich....highly unlikely.

Great find a_morti

Definitely interested to see what was being said way back then.

Might even help with your backstory and building the bikes classic status Smiley

There is an article section on the site. Thing is I can't remember who is admin, but I do remember he's not really active any more. Wonder if he could use a mod.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »

I'll scan it, send it to you via email or DropBox link and you do with it what your heart desires.
Share it, hord it, burn it, derez it (Tron reference)...whatevs.....but you would be the person who can distribute it as you see fit.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »

Gone...I just bought it.

Great find a_morti

Great move VH. Nice one. Saved for the team. Really looking forward to seeing what they had to say back then. Will we discover the origins of the disaffection that ultimately greeted the little CB-1 stateside? A five page test is a respectable spread.

And I agree, there's a far bigger archival case to be made than any profit that could ever be derived. Reminds me of all the 1970s bike mags that were stolen from me a few years back. The info in them is of far more value than the few quid I could get on ebay!
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »

Well Done VH, I think we're all looking forward to seeing this. Be interesting to see how this differs from 'the CB-1 from Heck' article
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 08:58:35 AM »

Thanks, should be here August 24th
I'll get it scanned and piped over to Aaron so he can distribute accordingly
Well Done VH, I think we're all looking forward to seeing this. Be interesting to see how this differs from 'the CB-1 from Heck' article

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 03:22:29 PM »

Aaron just sent you the email (via gmail) of the article so you can post/link/whatevs to this site for others to download.
enjoy all.

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 05:00:16 PM »

ok, so's not to force A-morti to get some bogus account, let's see if you all can access the PDF off my DropBox link.
Please let me know if you were able to download the article.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m27mjcjrr71abfv/CB-1-Mods-Article.pdf?dl=0

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

ok, so's not to force A-morti to get some bogus account, let's see if you all can access the PDF off my DropBox link.

Thank you VH, that worked for me. Not quite square on the scanner, so my OCR app might decide to have fun with the text.

I wonder how necessary the fork brace really is.

Is anyone else curious to learn what else they did?
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »

Thank you VH, that worked for me. Not quite square on the scanner, so my OCR app might decide to have fun with the text.

the fork brace couldn't hurt...right?
I mean...it'd keep the forks working together...No?

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »

the fork brace couldn't hurt...right?
I mean...it'd keep the forks working together...No?

Oh yeah, I get what it's for. I'm just wondering if it's an issue the CB-1 is particularly prone to. It seems to be something bigger, heavier and more powerful bikes experience - as the bumpier surfaces cause all that weight to get thrown down and all around under cornering forces, potentially placing uneaven forces on each fork leg.

I'm hoping to bump into (again soon) the guy who works in a local carbonfibre factory that makes Formula 1 race car parts. Their scrap bin coupled with his knowledge could yield some intersting lightweight solutions. I'm thinking mostly cosmetic: Tail and side and front panels. But a fork brace should be possible too! Wink

VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »

Oh yeah, I get what it's for. I'm just wondering if it's an issue the CB-1 is particularly prone to. It seems to be something bigger, heavier and more powerful bikes experience - as the bumpier surfaces cause all that weight to get thrown down and all around under cornering forces, potentially placing uneaven forces on each fork leg.

I'm hoping to bump into (again soon) the guy who works in a local carbonfibre factory that makes Formula 1 race car parts. Their scrap bin coupled with his knowledge could yield some intersting lightweight solutions. I'm thinking mostly cosmetic: Tail and side and front panels. But a fork brace should be possible too! Wink

Funny you should mention that CF stuff. I've often wondered how hard it would be to make a mold of the tank in CF for the CB1? or the tail, etc.
I had this notion one time that we could develop "farings" for motorcycle that weren't actual "farings" persay but more some wire-type skeletal system that at which time you could form a 'fabric' over the wire frame system. That's save pesos on when you went down, just buy some fabric and wire and re-shield your bike.

Its kinda like when we used to make those model aircraft planes that we would make out of cut balsa wood and they sheath the frame with tissue type paper so it would be light, strong and semi-milky transparent?

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 12:16:03 AM »

Interesting idea VH. Those doped fabric wings and fuselages had a fair amount of tension in them when they shrank.

Carbonfibre is very different. It needs baking. And it is subject to surface segregation that's a lot more injurious to the overall integrity of the structure than duct or alloy corrosion.

I love the idea of it too. But these issues are the reason why they're developing multi element materials and honeycomb cores. The most exciting seems to be CarTanium.

I'll let you know what I learn about copying existing tanks and tails.

Funny you should mention that CF stuff. I've often wondered how hard it would be to make a mold of the tank in CF for the CB1? or the tail, etc.
I had this notion one time that we could develop "farings" for motorcycle that weren't actual "farings" persay but more some wire-type skeletal system that at which time you could form a 'fabric' over the wire frame system. That's save pesos on when you went down, just buy some fabric and wire and re-shield your bike.

Its kinda like when we used to make those model aircraft planes that we would make out of cut balsa wood and they sheath the frame with tissue type paper so it would be light, strong and semi-milky transparent?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: