Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:18:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool thing on eBay  (Read 564 times)
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »

Given the age of the article, I'm not surprised by the mods they did but there was nothing very serious attempted and most of the mods will already be on the majority of CB-1s by now (uprated springs / shocks & braided hoses). Such a shame that Kerker no longer offer the Cb-1 exhaust as it does indeed save a lot of weight and removes the restrictive baffle in the link pipe section. I've only ever seen 1 system and the owner would not part with despite constant attempts.

the fork brace was a standard go to accessory at the time and made sense when most bikes had 33 - 38mm diameter forks but I can't really see the point on a CB-1 (41mm forks) as they are plenty stiff enough for the bike.

I would be wary of using CF for a fork a brace as when subjected to forces in the wrong plane, it breaks and shatters sending shards everywhere. Not something I would want just under my nose.

There is a guy on the 400 grey bike forum who makes CF parts including tank covers for the NC35 and I have seen a German NC35 with full carbon bodywork which alone would have cost the price of a reasonable CB-1. Not sure how resistant CF is to modern ethanol laced fuels so is a full tank viable even if would be a thing of beauty
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »

I've wondered how it would affect the bike (noise level, restrictions) if you were to cut that centre baffle out and replace it with a welded in straight length if pipe. Might get a racy enough sound for most of those looking for that whilst looking stock.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »

The effect you're describing Pod70 is indeed what you'd expect from an eggshell construction that's been impacted with a hard object or other extreme forces.

But as you rightly point out, the area between the very adequately proportioned CB-1 forks wouldn't actually be subject to such forces, and if anything impacted that point in an accident, you'd have a lot more to wory about thsn flying carbonfibre.

Plus, an item such as a fork brace would not be a thin construction. It would have several millimetres of thickness and multidirectional weaves. So it's actuslly the perfect choice - if made correctly.

Here's an example of how even a relatively thin tube stands up to multiple sharp blows. It does of course eventually break, and there are sharp shards, but under what conditions would that ever happen to a fork brace?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pnuVLplw7h4

Given the age of the article, I'm not surprised by the mods they did but there was nothing very serious attempted and most of the mods will already be on the majority of CB-1s by now (uprated springs / shocks & braided hoses). Such a shame that Kerker no longer offer the Cb-1 exhaust as it does indeed save a lot of weight and removes the restrictive baffle in the link pipe section. I've only ever seen 1 system and the owner would not part with despite constant attempts.

the fork brace was a standard go to accessory at the time and made sense when most bikes had 33 - 38mm diameter forks but I can't really see the point on a CB-1 (41mm forks) as they are plenty stiff enough for the bike.

I would be wary of using CF for a fork a brace as when subjected to forces in the wrong plane, it breaks and shatters sending shards everywhere. Not something I would want just under my nose.

There is a guy on the 400 grey bike forum who makes CF parts including tank covers for the NC35 and I have seen a German NC35 with full carbon bodywork which alone would have cost the price of a reasonable CB-1. Not sure how resistant CF is to modern ethanol laced fuels so is a full tank viable even if would be a thing of beauty
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »

To hell with their restrictions a_morti. It's Dremel, drill and stainless welding time Wink

I'm grateful to you for alerting me to the presence of that link pipe mounted baffle, and the two spot welds that retain it. Seems to me the best gift we could give our CB-1s is some careful surgery in this area. I'm willing to bet the welding to the silencer could be very carefully ground away to separate them. Might take a while, but it would avoid having to sleeve it afterwards, or make a new stubby connector.

I've wondered how it would affect the bike (noise level, restrictions) if you were to cut that centre baffle out and replace it with a welded in straight length if pipe. Might get a racy enough sound for most of those looking for that whilst looking stock.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: