Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
October 23, 2017, 12:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CB-1 Shock Rebuild  (Read 691 times)
chesterch05

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »

Hi, Anyone know how to charge nitrogen to the shock reservoir? Theres no valve for charging lol. Ive seen a local shop put in fluid instead of nitrogen lol but I doubt the shock would still work properly.

Im planning on drilling a hole on the bottom of the reservoir and put a valve in if theres no other way.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »

Interesting problem you have there chesterch05. Spacetiger is your man. What he doesn't know about rear shocks probably isn't worth knowing. Keep us posted on how you solve it and good luck.

Just make sure you thoroughly backflush out with solvents (don't just blow) ALL swarf created by drilling. All manufactured parts have a certain amount of metal cutting swarf residue. It's very abrasive and is what leads to early failure of components.

The reason for this is the very high cost involved in disposing of used solvents. They hit the bottom line heavily, and environmental legislation has made it less socially acceptable to discharge into rivers. But don't worry, Trump will solve that problem - along with his revolutionary "clean burn coal" and the unicorn shit powered media platform he's about to announce...! Wink

Hi, Anyone know how to charge nitrogen to the shock reservoir? Theres no valve for charging lol. Ive seen a local shop put in fluid instead of nitrogen lol but I doubt the shock would still work properly.

Im planning on drilling a hole on the bottom of the reservoir and put a valve in if theres no other way.

spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »

Are you going to disassemble the shock before drilling?

When you say near the bottom, you mean near the top mounting point right?

MF - you are giving me too much credit.  But, I will try to earn it.. one day
Take pics if you do this and tell us how it is going.  Consider swapping out the piston/shim stack if you open the shock.
chesterch05

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 06:20:40 AM »

Yeah I have disassembled the shock already. Do you know what type of oil I should be using? Ive got some 10wt fork oil would that work?

Im going to drill it on the bottom of the reservoir. Isn't that part the one with the nitrogen charged? I assumed it is because its what I see on my other bikes. lol

I circled the part where im planning to drill
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:57:47 AM »

A pic is worth a 1,000 words.

I was thinking of adding a T fitting where the hose goes into the shock body and add a fill port that way; one end the hose attaches too and and the fill port on the other.  Just run a vacuum from that fill port, then add oil.  It seems simple enough I think.

On your location, that is where the bladder is, so there is no oil there to speak of. 
chesterch05

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »

isnt the bladder filled with oil too? and the outer bladder or canister is where the nitrogen is charged?
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »

As Spacetiger says, a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. It seems my mischievous and dangerously off topic mention of unicorns was also prophetic. Unless I'm very much mistaken, chesterch05, your shock is one of the very rare ones with a separate reservoir and adjuster - as fitter to the equally rare 1991 model 2 CB-1.

Can you see the part number on both units? If so, can you share those please? Some more pics would also be nice. Have you already shared photos of your bike?

Yeah I have disassembled the shock already. Do you know what type of oil I should be using? Ive got some 10wt fork oil would that work?

Im going to drill it on the bottom of the reservoir. Isn't that part the one with the nitrogen charged? I assumed it is because its what I see on my other bikes. lol

I circled the part where im planning to drill

chesterch05

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »

Sorry I haven't posted pics of my bike its still in the paint shop. But I will post a pic of it soon.  Grin

I didnt know this was a rare model.

This looks like the same model as mine

But the engine installed seems off. Its an NC23, Ive never seen an NC23 on a CB-1 before. Shouldn't CB-1's have NC27? possibly engine swap?

I got what spacetiger was saying on the shock, ill be doing that. no more drilling holes hehe.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »

yes, I believe you have that CB1-SP2 or something like that.
For some reason, Honda (way back then) decided to produce a few CB1s with larger fuel capacity, remote reservoir rear shock setup and a few other "farkles" and "tit-bits" they seem to have added to the CB1.
Wish they would've made more of those.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »

You're officially a very luck boy chesterch05. Don't worry about the engine number. Apparently they used the NC23 prefix for NC27 engines too. If your engine is black and the frame is dark grey (I believe) then you have a MK2 or whatever the official designation was.

Please check the capacity of the fuel tank, and post a photo of it, especially the underside profile.

Also, check your airbox, it may be a fair bit flatter than the one most of us have, and only one snorkel. The first two models (Japan only and Export) have a big fat airbox and two snorkels.

As far as I can tell, the only thing anyone could get at all upset about with your bike, if it is indeed one of the rare later models, is the larger, quieter silencer. But even that is stainless steel, so it's going to last a lot longer than the mild steel ones on the export models. Otherwise it's way too cool for school in my eversohumble opinion. I do hope you're keeping it close to standard spec. It's always going to be worth a fair bit more money than the more common ones.

Where are you based?

Sorry I haven't posted pics of my bike its still in the paint shop. But I will post a pic of it soon.  Grin

I didnt know this was a rare model.

This looks like the same model as mine

But the engine installed seems off. Its an NC23, Ive never seen an NC23 on a CB-1 before. Shouldn't CB-1's have NC27? possibly engine swap?

I got what spacetiger was saying on the shock, ill be doing that. no more drilling holes hehe.

spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »

isnt the bladder filled with oil too? and the outer bladder or canister is where the nitrogen is charged?

This looks like the CBR600 and CBR900 shock with remote reservoir.  Those bikes have a bladder in the canister.  Oil can get down there, but the bladder is designed to pressurize the oil on the "topside" where the hose connects to. 
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »

Chester:
post a picture of your CB1. if it looks anything like the one you have on that photo....hubboy.

chesterch05

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 07:26:16 AM »

@ModerateFkr the engine is dark grey but the cover looks different from other CB-1 engines. You're right about the airbox. Its just one snorkel. I didn't notice that til now. The cover with the "honda" logo isnt there. its not removable. im in the Philippines. There are a few CB-1 users here but most are already converted to cafe racers. But i like to keep it as original as possible lol.

Heres my bike all finished. Just needs some tune up.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:18:18 AM by chesterch05 » Logged
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »

That IS indeed strange chesterch05. I'm not familiar with the NC23 model so I'm not sure if it's actually an engine from an N23 or not. My understanding is that the engine to frame mounting points are quite different. But as you say, the circular cover isn't a separate unit, and the shape of the cover is different. It's also polished, but I'm guessing that's a later mod.

Anyway, you have a gorgeous bike. Congratulations on the paint job. Is it very dark green or very dark blue? Did you match the original colour and paint code? Do you know the number? It's usually on a small sticker on the top left frame tube under the seat.

Now take it to an iconic location in your area and take some promo shots. This is a worthy candidate for showing off. Slightly lower shots are great for the professional touch. Take a look at the images used by MV Agusta. I swear they design their bikes look great viewed from that angle.

@ModerateFkr the engine is dark grey but the cover looks different from other CB-1 engines. You're right about the airbox. Its just one snorkel. I didn't notice that til now. The cover with the "honda" logo isnt there. its not removable. im in the Philippines. There are a few CB-1 users here but most are already converted to cafe racers. But i like to keep it as original as possible lol.

Heres my bike all finished. Just needs some tune up.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:46:15 AM by ModerateFkr » Logged
chesterch05

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »

Thanks. Its a dark green. Matching the original paint. The paint code was NH-1.

Ill post some pics soon when I get a chance to go for a ride.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: