Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 11, 2017, 09:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: CB-1 Shock Rebuild  (Read 852 times)
ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 11:30:16 PM »

Thanks. Its a dark green. Matching the original paint. The paint code was NH-1.

Ill post some pics soon when I get a chance to go for a ride.

Thank you chesterch05. That's a seriously nice colour. I notice your clocks are silver like the earlier model. But you've definitely got the taller handlebars and deeper cushioned seat. I'm currently trying to figure out just how much padding I need to add to mine to achieve that level if comfort.

We often rave over modified bikes, but maintaining the original paint and style is an art too. I'm genuinely impressed.
chesterch05

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »

Thanks. Its a dark green. Matching the original paint. The paint code was NH-1.

Ill post some pics soon when I get a chance to go for a ride.

Thank you chesterch05. That's a seriously nice colour. I notice your clocks are silver like the earlier model. But you've definitely got the taller handlebars and deeper cushioned seat. I'm currently trying to figure out just how much padding I need to add to mine to achieve that level if comfort.

We often rave over modified bikes, but maintaining the original paint and style is an art too. I'm genuinely impressed.

I repainted it silver because the stock color wasnt that good and I thought silver looks better haha.

Thanks. I do prefer to maintain the stock look on old bikes. But if the bike is in bad shape I'd rather modify it to a cafe lol.
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »

Yes it is a mk2 (and very tidy looking too Smiley), I've just acquired one myself. The engine covers should be the same colour as the frame. Unfortunately the stator / clutch cover on mine is damaged so I'll probably end up painting the replacement black rather than trying to match the original paint elsewhere. I think your covers are off the later CB400 (NC31?).

ALL these engines for the CB / CBR 400's have the designation NC23 but there are various subtle differences depending on which frame they're fitted to and the later versions even reverted back to a cam chain.

Some later Mk1's and the Mk2's had the remote reservoir shock. The Cb-1 went through a few small and subtle changes during it's lifespan
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:59:17 AM by Pod70 » Logged
chesterch05

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »

Yeah the cover is from a 400SF. I ran into a 400SF one day and saw it was the same. I didn't know there were a lot of CB-1 versions on that short period of time lol.

A quick update on my shock. I thought it was okay until I tried another CB-1. The shock on his bike feels more "right" than mine. My shock rebounds too fast and feels like bouncing on large bumps. He did his own rebuild too. And showed me a few things. He also had that valve idea that I had and seems to be working fine on his bike. He pumps to around 200psi with a shock pump for mountain bikes. I was told to try using a higher viscosity shock oil. I used 10wt, which I thought was fine because the damping was good without the coil. So I might try 15 or 20wt when I get the time and add that valve. I will update this as soon as I get a higher viscosity oil. I've read somewhere that you could use ATF for it?
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »

Do you have any damping adjustability?   

No to ATF.  You can use it for forks but not shocks.  You should be able to get shock oil, just google it.  Perhaps consider swapping out the piston to a RaceTech gold valve set up if you are going to open up the shock to change the oil.  I will run you $150, but you can get a much nicer damping set up.

Post some pics when you can.
See Bee-Won

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »

Sorry I haven't posted pics of my bike its still in the paint shop. But I will post a pic of it soon.  Grin

I didnt know this was a rare model.

This looks like the same model as mine

But the engine installed seems off. Its an NC23, Ive never seen an NC23 on a CB-1 before. Shouldn't CB-1's have NC27? possibly engine swap?

I got what spacetiger was saying on the shock, ill be doing that. no more drilling holes hehe.

Stainless exhaust, higher, wider handlebars, blacked out engine,wheels, and frame, racing pegs, small turn signals etc. What a classy looking bike. Wish we could have got this model in the States instead of the budget CB-1 . Oh well, we got the smurfy blue paint on our bikes so it isn't all bad I guess.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:39:14 PM by See Bee-Won » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: