Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 13, 2017, 05:23:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Irregular ticking sound  (Read 557 times)
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:17:12 AM »

Hey all,

Recently I've started noticing my CB-1 has developed this irregular ticking sound when warming up. At first I thought it was the pump, but its coming from further forward, sounds like up near the top of the engine. It gets faster if you rev the bike. I can't say for sure, but I haven't noticed it once the bike has warmed up.

I started up the bike this weekend and it was noticeable, which has got me wondering whats going on. I haven't had time to use the bike much recently, but did an oil change a few weeks ago and have noticed it since then.

The valve clearances are well overdue being checked, could that cause this kind of noise? up to this point the engine has been golden, so I'm hoping it isn't anything more serious. Also, I've never done valve clearances / shims before, is it straightfoward or should I get a mechanic to sort it?

Cheers,
James
filterMan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:17:05 AM »

Yes, it's probably the valve clearances. One of my valves ticks a bit when the bike is cold and then goes away when warm. Been doing it for years now.

It's not an easy job which is why I've never done it myself and I personally would get a bike mechanic to do it for me.

The valve clearances are set by replacing shims of differing thickness. You measure how much out of tolerance they are, then order a new shim of the correct size to replace it with. The shims are widely available but you need the right tools to compress the springs and remove the shims. I have heard that you can do some jiggery pokery with a tie wrap to compress the springs but I'm not sure I would use that method.

Probably pod_70 or a_morti will have more info for you.
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »

I posted this a few years ago http://www.hondacb1.org/forum/index.php/topic,2901.0.html Unfortunately it has been ruined by photobucket but I will try and move the images to Flickr and update it
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:29:42 AM »

Valve clearance service is involved as you need to take the top off the engine, which involves removing a fair few ancillary parts. However, the gear driven cams mean it's about as easy as it gets on a 4 cylinder engine.

Could be valves, the starter clutch when it goes can also give what might be described as an irregular ticking noise, but that's in the left side cover.

Any chance it's just a loose exhaust nut?

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:56:25 AM »

I've updated the photos on here http://www.hondacb1.org/forum/index.php/topic,2901.0.html so hopefully it now makes a bit more sense. Thanks for that Photobucket, it was a bit time consuming but it wasn't too hard to migrate the photos across to Flickr and update the links. I won't be updating the build thread as I think there was almost 60 photos on that one.....
filterMan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »

Pod_70, great instructions and it looks even better now you have sorted the images out. Thanks for posting that.
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys. Those instructions look excellent Pod_70, I will have a proper read of them and decide whether its something I want to attempt or have the time for - I'm about to become a dad so time has been pretty limited recently getting stuff ready, sadly the bike hasn't done many miles this (wet) summer.

Hopefully it is valve clearances and not the starter clutch (the ticking seems to be coming from the top of the engine) but I will check the exhaust manifold studs aren't loose though, cheers for the tip a_morti!

I also have the air mixture screws from China to test out but just need to find 5 minutes!

JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:38:27 AM »

I had the bike MOT'd last Friday, passed with no problems  Cheesy

The mechanic had a listen to the tick and he was pretty certain its an exhaust gasket leak on one of the inner two pipes. I managed to get a spanner on the suspect one and the studs were pretty loose. I put the system back on with copper gaskets around 10 years ago and they were tight. I'm guessing they've worked loose over time?

Anyway, I nipped them tighter but didn't want to overdo it. It hasn't fixed it the noise, so I'm guessing I'll need to drop the system out at some point and put in new gaskets. Do they normally fail after so many years?
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »

It is possible for the studs to work loose over time and if they're loose, then the gaskets can burn up.

Wouldn't hurt to replacee gaskets but if nipping it up has stopped the noise, why bother?

You can get much better purchase on the studs if you drop the bottom radiator mounting bolts out, and if that's not enough then remove the radiator. Good chance to give it a clean and change the coolant if needed.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »

Ahh tightening the studs hasn't stopped the tick, but I will do as you suggest and drop the bottom rad bolts to get more access. If nipping them a bit more doesn't work them its probably burned up a gasket.

No big worries, I was planning on starting an overhaul this winter anyway and want to drop the system out to paint the engine and give it all a clean up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: