Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
December 11, 2017, 09:45:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging Problems  (Read 361 times)
Griffin39

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »

Hey guys,

I posted here earlier about a charging issue I was having.  After spending hours with the service manual, youtube videos, and a subpar multimeter, learning about how all the electrical components worked I have made some headway.  I performed all the tests in the service manual but the multimeter I had was garbage so my brother gave me a very expensive one which helped.  They all seem to check out except for the resistance for the rectifier, so I replaced that but I'm still only getting 12.8 volts at the battery.

So I went to the stator, which I had a feeling was the problem.  I'm not getting any continuity and all the resistance's are in the right range listed in the service manual.  So by that standard its fine and not grounding.  However, when I check the voltage off the stator I'm getting 1.6-2 V.   I havent found a value that is concrete but from my understanding its supposed to be much higher?  Does this mean the stator is gone? 

Appreciate feedback!
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:42:53 AM »

Are you testing it on AC voltage?

The charging system is an Achilles heel but it's not a magical circuit and there's only so many parts to change.

Check all plugs and connectors in he circuit, check all earths and the battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion. If you're still not getting what you need, must be the alternator. I've seen where one of the three coils has failed, this gave sufficient voltage but the current wasn't there so the battery discharged. Could be what you're getting. If it's the case, a visual inspection will show you.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:48:44 AM »

I had a similar thing happen to mine a few years ago and it turned out to be the stator had burnt out on one of the phases.

Definitely check everything a_morti has mentioned first before going further. I'm not sure about the voltage either but if I remember, mine was reading fine on the resistances (one was a little high and that turned out to be the duff one). If you do discover you need to buy a new stator, I got mine from here - http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/G17.html and its been fine
Otus511

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:41:29 AM »

I had a few issues with my charging system a while back, so here's my input.

The output from the stator should be around 55volts AC between any two of the yellow wires coming from the stator into the rectifier at idle.
Simply start the bike up, and poke the multimeter probes into the back of the plug of two of the three yellow wires. You should get around 55voltsAC, give or take about 10volts depending on how high the revs are on the bike. You'll also need to do 2 more checks using the last yellow wire you didn't test to ensure the other phases are good.

Apologies if my explanation isn't clear. I'm useless at explaining things..

Start with doing this check and we'll go from there to find your problem.
Griffin39

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.

@Otus511 - I'm getting 1.6 - 2.3 V AC coming off the yellow wires from the stator.  This obvioulsy isnt enough so does that mean the stator is toast?
Otus511

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »

Yip, sure looks like a toast stator.
I've seen new stators on ebay for around usd$50 I think. Not sure on the quality.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: