Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
October 23, 2017, 12:52:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble starting - Power loss - Cut off  (Read 569 times)
titsonfish

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »

The bike has done me well for a while and one day it struggled to start with the electric, but fired anyway after a moment, on the trip home it refused to start and so i bumped it off, rode home fine.

When i got home i turned it off and fired it up again multiple times without issue.

The next day it refused to start, and sounded like the battery was dying, except the battery clearly wasn't dying. Bumped off okay and got me to work, however 100 meters from work i experienced engine stutters and as i sat idle it turned off.

Hours after work it bumped off okay and got me home, then i changed all the spark plugs, checked the air filter too and the carbs.

After this the bike fired up with the electric no problem multiple times.

Twenty minutes later it wouldn't start and had to be bumped off. Took it for a twenty minute round trip and it ran fine, even electric started multiple times when i got back.

Took the bike out for a 12 mile shunt as a proper test ride and it started electric, but didn't seem to want to. Ran the 12 miles no problems at all.

Stopped for 10 minutes and then it refused to start, sounded like the battery was losing all power. Tried to bump start it and it refused. Wouldn't even pretend like it was going to start. No noise at all, all electrics were otherwise working perfectly.

Fifteen minutes later the bike bumped off and i left it running idle for 25 minutes without issue, then set off and it cut off 10 meters up the road, but then bumped off and seemed to run fine for several miles.

Bike then started to lose power as i was riding until it cut off and left me with several miles of walking to do with a bike.

After this it refused to start. Electric sounds like a buzzing and bumping it produces no results at all, not even pretending to try.

I would appreciate any help you can throw my way (New battery arriving tomorrow)
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »

Sounds electrical for sure. Batteries can drop a cell, you'll see enough volts to light a headlight, but put on something with more drain and it'll give up. More likely the battery, but also might be worth opening the starter for a clean and inspect, if the brushes were very worn it may have trouble starting, the brushes are renewable so not a big deal.

Wouldn't hurt to get a multimeter on it and go through  the usual voltage checks.

Let us know how you get on.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
filterMan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »

If it's cranking slowly when you press the starter switch it's worth having a go at jump starting it from another known working battery. If it spins into life it's probably the battery. If it still cranks slowly it could be a bad earth or as a_mort says, the starter motor brushes.

That said, the fact that your bike has died a couple of times suggests some other electrical gremlin. After the bike has died, when you press the starter switch, is it cranking slowly?
titsonfish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »

I'll keep you informed as to what happens, but at the moment i am waiting for the battery to arrive and if it isn't that i'll take a look at the starter motor. I just really hope it isn't the ignition coils.

To answer your question though, no it doesn't slow down, it sounds very much like the battery is dead, which is a bit odd and makes me think it may have something to do with the reg rectifier.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »

Once it's started, check for any cold exhaust downpipes. Could just need he HT lead shortening for a better connection .

titsonfish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »

Okay, as an update - The bike refused to start and simply made buzzing noises prior to me ordering the battery, now i have installed the new one it is doing the same. Bike won't start and just buzzes.

Unless you guys know better i'm going to have to replace the ignition coils next and look at the starter motor as previously advised.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 12:56:48 PM »

Could you put up a video? I can't picture what buzzing you mean. It sounds like could be any of starter or starting clutch or solenoid.
There is a Facebook group if that's easier for you to upload.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1119747858086718/

titsonfish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »

Exactly this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgigG6j_hb8&ab_channel=JohnNelson
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »

The noise that bike is making is the starter solenoid. I'm fairly sure of it. The cb-1 keeps its solenoid under the right hand middle aluminium panel. Take that off and see if it is that.

If it is, and you are sure your new battery isn't at fault, then it could be the solenoid itself or some bad connection along the line, perhaps a loose or corroded cable on the solenoid or starter.

titsonfish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

Awesome, you're awesome, i appreciate the help.

That's my next job then.

Solenoid is ordered, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and i'll have a go with putting it in.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:04:24 PM by titsonfish » Logged
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »

First thing would be make sure I am right, it will only involve removing the RHS side cover. Next thing, check the plug on the solenoid which often gets water ingress, if yes then clean up corrosion and try again. Only then would I buy new parts.

titsonfish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 04:04:35 PM »

Just to keep you updated - Replacing the solenoid worked like a charm. Thank you for the help.
titsonfish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 02:40:11 PM »

Okay, so the coolest thing happened.

The bike has been working fine since putting the battery and solenoid in, and today it reached the 12 miles mark and cut off, refused to even pretend to start and wouldn't bump either. Left me with another fucking big ass walk home  Grin

Okay. My best guess is coils or regulator rectifier, any help would really be appreciated.

To be clear, it's having exactly the same issues as last time.

In the mean time i will be looking at the starter motor brushes.
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »

I think it might be your CDI - I had one recently which would be fine for a few miles and then something would overheat and break down. Once I got back to workshop and the unit had cooled, everything would be fine. Eventually you'll get to a point where the bike will start backfiring and refuse to start at all

Unfortunately it's the electronics that always let you down on these old bikes Sad
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »

Regulator is easy to check. Get yourself a multimeter if you don't already have one.

Cdi less easy to check, but very easy to swap out.

What kills cdi is sometimes just age/vibrations, but mainly over voltage from a faulty charging system.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: