Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:17:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In the market for a CB1, any tips?  (Read 400 times)
PhantomMaggot

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:06:04 PM »

Hi guys.
So, Long story short, my family has had a lot of bikes over the years that I've been able to ride whenever. I need to just suck it up and get my own bike to play with and tinker around on. I know what I like in a bike, and the cb1 fits the bill. Unless anyone want's to sell me a US titled RVF400 with bad fairings.... LOL

So, what are some things to look for when Looking for a bike? What are reasonable prices? How hard are parts to come by?
I can't seem to find one local at the moment.
Closest one is ~6 hours away...

Thanks in advance
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »

where in the world are you?
PhantomMaggot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:26:09 PM »

VA, USA.
Near Blacksburg (Virginia Tech)
spacetiger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »

K, you are close by.  Main house is in Chantilly VA.

How handy are you?  Are you looking for a pristine or one that takes a bit of work?
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »

You've made a good choice picking the Honda CB-1.
Parts? meh....you can find "most" of them on either ebay, or the UK or on the Honda CB1 FB or here.
prices? a beater will run you round $500 or so...with a title, make sure it has one.
a good working CB1 with some cosmetics issues will run you round $1700 to $2100 or so.
A pristine CB1 will run you round $3000 to $$4500 or so.....with the top end being a 7 to zero miler showroom specimen.
that should give you a starting point.

Mind you theres everything in between too.
Meaning, you can get lucky find someone desperate to sell their CB1 for a lot less than what it's really able to fetch.
timing, timing timing with the right cash at the right moment.

PhantomMaggot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »

How handy are you?  Are you looking for a pristine or one that takes a bit of work?

I don't mind work as long as it's not something serious, or a complete basket case.
What ya got?

Parts? meh....you can find "most" of them on either ebay, or the UK or on the Honda CB1 FB or here.
prices? a beater will run you round $500 or so...with a title, make sure it has one.
a good working CB1 with some cosmetics issues will run you round $1700 to $2100 or so.
A pristine CB1 will run you round $3000 to $$4500 or so.....with the top end being a 7 to zero miler showroom specimen.

Mind you there's everything in between too.
Meaning, you can get lucky find someone desperate to sell their CB1 for a lot less than what it's really able to fetch.

Thanks.
CB-1 isn't my only choice... It just checks a lot of my boxes and it's at the top of my list.. Well, after some JDM bikes that I won't find or be able to afford (zx250/400r and rvf400 I'm looking at you.. )
I'd also take a SV650, a SOLID vf500, or a few other things...
I'm not scared of bigger bikes, I've had seat time on 600 - liter bikes. Just not what I'm into..

I'm really hoping to get lucky on something, price wise, here at the end of the season lol. I don't mind something needing some maintenance but I'm not trying to build a basket case.. The idea is to have ~1500 or less in something I can ride while I build something else.. I like having projects, but I hate when my only one of something is that project.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »

Yer looking for a $1500 CB1?
That’s gettin into the “more effort” range to get er to be a good CB1.
But if you think yer up to the challenge...amen to ya.

I don't mind work as long as it's not something serious, or a complete basket case.
What ya got?

Mind you there's everything in between too.

Thanks.
CB-1 isn't my only choice... It just checks a lot of my boxes and it's at the top of my list.. Well, after some JDM bikes that I won't find or be able to afford (zx250/400r and rvf400 I'm looking at you.. )
I'd also take a SV650, a SOLID vf500, or a few other things...
I'm not scared of bigger bikes, I've had seat time on 600 - liter bikes. Just not what I'm into..

I'm really hoping to get lucky on something, price wise, here at the end of the season lol. I don't mind something needing some maintenance but I'm not trying to build a basket case.. The idea is to have ~1500 or less in something I can ride while I build something else.. I like having projects, but I hate when my only one of something is that project.

PhantomMaggot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:37:20 PM »

When they're on the CL in the area they are ~$2k asking..
the closest one on there right now is a 6 hour drive. But it's a hell of a deal..
I wish I could find the time to drive up there.
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »

$2k should (with a grain of salt) be a decent CB1 to work on.
should have title.
preferable maintenance records.
tires should be good.
no leaks.....ANYWHERE.
frame should be straight.
seat decent.
plastics decent.
NO rust on bike, nor in the tank.
No dings or dents in the tank.
no broken plastics.
bike should be in working, running order.

that should bout do it.
the rest is....well, how much "work" does it need to be a looker.
When they're on the CL in the area they are ~$2k asking..
the closest one on there right now is a 6 hour drive. But it's a hell of a deal..
I wish I could find the time to drive up there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: