Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 21, 2017, 08:38:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dash and CeeBee went to Circuit Zandvoort  (Read 881 times)
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 03:07:25 AM »

Should be able to stand a lot of high speed running VH. But as you say, it will shorten its life whether its stressed or not. Though most wear occurs when the engine is cold, so short joirnets are worse.

Excessive engine wear also occurs when the oil is degraded. As someone pointed out, these engines not only share their engine and gearbox oil, but those cam drive gears break down the lubricating properties far faster than a chain.

But I think Dash is changing the oil regularly. Before each track day would be best.

So, a refil of really good quality high temperature oil before each session will go done way towards mimicking the regimens of race teams. 

I dont change the oil THAT often  Smiley

So... I should not keep it at 10k at all times then? I do warm up the engine properly before giving it the beans each session.
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »

On the race CBR I rarely drop below 8k and someone faster than me could probably manage above 10K so it's a realistic goal
(depending on the track layout).
Unfortunately it does accelerate the wear and I expect to refresh the engine each season (new piston rings, bearings where required & clutches have a hard time) The gearbox also takes a bashing but despite that my engines have always taken it in their stride thanks to regular oil changes
VintageHunter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »

I dont change the oil THAT often  Smiley

So... I should not keep it at 10k at all times then? I do warm up the engine properly before giving it the beans each session.

Well, think about it this way. We, as humans, are nothing more than machines as well. You can probably run a sprint at a pretty good clip....but if you were to try and run that same sprint for say, 1 Mile......you'd damage something in the process guaranteed.

Same for a mechanical contraption. Sure you could run it at 10K for a good while, but.....at some point, the oil will break up quicker, the metal against metal will be stressed quicker and fail quicker. You may run a track session or two at the 10K full range but after a few more sessions, you'd prob be seriously affecting your CB1s performance and will begin to see "issues" develop faster than you had anticipated.

It doesnt' make sense to run a bike on the track at 10K ALL THE TIME if you aren't tearing down the entire engine after every track session and rebuilding it.

ModerateFkr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »

Change the oil BEFORE each track day and collect the old oil in a large glass jar with a speaker magnet in it to collect the steel residue. Then pou it through a coffee filter. That way you change the cheapest component on the bike, insure against the oil degrading effect that is accelerated by the high rpm running and the mashing it gets from the Cam Drive Gear Train, as well as providing a very precise three part diagnostic check on the true state of your engine - and an early warning if any possible issues.

But most of all you guarantee to lengthen the life of your engine - however you ride.

This technique has been the proven method of EVERY successful race team I've ever been associated with. I'm not going to name stop here, but back in the day I was lost for choice when it came to invites to watch the Superbile championships and British F1 GP. At one point I had one of the world's most respected race car chassis designers, a tyre manufacturer, two race teams, a vintage race car restorer and preparer, and an alcohol beer sponsor as clients. There's only so much schmoozing you can do and champagne you can drink in the VIP box. Eventually you just have to go chat with the guys in the pits - and learn stuff.

Yes, a real Mad Men style potential conflict of interests, but luckily everyone was cool and in sufficiently different areas to avoid issues. But when I was approached by both Pirelli AND Dunlop at the same event, I had to turn them both down. That was an error. I never did manage to convince those folks that elephants don't corner we at speed...! Wink hint hint.
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »

Looks like a fun day out - I did warn you that doing track days is quite addictive

Next one, 30th august, has already been booked  Cheesy

And completely ruined due to rain. Didnt even bother to go to the track. Embarrassed

Next attempt: 18 septembre Grin
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: