Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
April 20, 2018, 11:57:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackbird shock install  (Read 681 times)
Spurlock

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

Following morti's recommendation I decided to go with the Blackbird shock to avoid the need to swap springs with my shucked out original. The BB shock is about 3+mm longer than stock, and since I'm "inseam challenged" I really didn't want to raise the rear of the bike plus have to go to a longer side stand. The shock arrived on a rainy day, perfect for a nice shop project so I decided to "shorten" it by making an offset top bushing.

After pressing out the original steel and rubber top bushing I turned a piece of Delrin to a matching 22mm diameter. I then switched to a four jaw lathe chuck and adjusted it to offset the material 3mm off center to drill a hole for a new steel collar. The new collar is smaller OD than the original, allowing more offset.

I cut off the Delrin bushing slightly shorter than the steel collar so the mounting bolt would pinch against the collar, not the Delrin.

To make sure the Delrin bushing could not rotate in the shock eye I threaded a socket set screw through the top of the shock eye and slightly into the Delrin.

From this angle it looks like the shock body interferes with the frame bracket, but it actually has adequate clearance.

Lastly I had to grind a small notch in the lower frame bracket to clear the damping adjuster screw.

It's raining again today so I have not ridden the bike yet, but by bouncing up and down on the passenger pegs my "butt dyno" tells me it feels very good. The rear is maybe 1/4" higher but the stock side stand still works. In the future I will go from the current 140/80 rear tire to the stock 140/70 which will reduce the lean angle.

-Bill

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »

Good stuff, thanks for the pics!

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Dash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 06:21:12 AM »

BB shock is gonna serve you well. Cheap and good alternative to the saggy original. Wink
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 06:40:27 AM »

Dash, do you remember how you set the damping screw? Need to back mine out, it's over damped (when did anyone say that about oem CB shock  Grin ) so curious where you went.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 10:55:50 AM »

Dash, do you remember how you set the damping screw? Need to back mine out, it's over damped (when did anyone say that about oem CB shock  Grin ) so curious where you went.

I set mine to minimum damping and bouncing in the shop it still seems like fairly stiff damping. But this shock is very low miles and has been sitting on a shelf for 15 years, so that might be part of the reason. The sun is out today so it's test ride time!

-Bill

Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »

BB shock is gonna serve you well. Cheap and good alternative to the saggy original. Wink

Thanks Dash, the roads dried out today so I went for a spirited test ride of the new shock on 100 miles of deserted twisty back roads with lots of bumpy corners and no, uhh....law enforcement presence. Result - I am totally happy with the BB shock. The bike felt glued to the road and stayed on its line through bumpy turns. The damping (lowest setting) is on the firm side, but better that than too weak. This shock will do the job for me for now and likely for ever.

-Bill

Dash

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »

No idea really. I bolted it in as-is and it was pretty much perfect for my weight. So I didnt dare be adventerous and screw it up. So Ive not messed with it, 

Sorry I can't be more help Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: