Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 21, 2018, 10:53:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: engine case paint?  (Read 1755 times)
Spurlock

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »

Has anyone found a rattle can paint that matches the silver engine cases and fork sliders? Thought I'd ask before taking a guess on DupliColor cans. Thanks,

-Bill

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
filterMan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:45:51 PM »

I used dupli-color alloy wheel paint for my forks and it was a good match to the engine casing, it's been on a couple of years with no big chips. It took a couple of weeks ta harden properly. I also used a top clear coat from the same manufacturer. But, my engine was resprayed some 7 years ago so I have no idea if it's in the exact factory colour or not. Also I'm in the UK so I'm not sure if you can get the same paint in the US?

Cheers

Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »

I used dupli-color alloy wheel paint for my forks and it was a good match to the engine casing, it's been on a couple of years with no big chips. It took a couple of weeks ta harden properly. I also used a top clear coat from the same manufacturer. But, my engine was resprayed some 7 years ago so I have no idea if it's in the exact factory colour or not. Also I'm in the UK so I'm not sure if you can get the same paint in the US?

Cheers

Thanks filterMan, yes we do have DupliColor here - it is my go-to paint. I will buy some and see how it matches.

By the way, for clear coat I like SprayMax 2K:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spraymax+2k+clear+coat&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177534296559&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3951049674089138838&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032490&hvtargid=kwd-10033197080&ref=pd_sl_4i91ufyw65_e

It is very tough and fuel/heat resistant. It is a catalyzed spray can with an internal chamber containing the hardener. You press a button on the bottom of the can to release the hardener then you have a2-3 days to use up the can before it all hardens. Comes in different gloss levels.

-Bill

filterMan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »

I've often wondered how good the 2k clear coat is. I rattle canned the rear cowl some years back, the paint was mixed to perfection by a local paint shop and put into cans for me but I used standard clear coat and the clear coat finish has not held up too well. I'll try a can of 2k clear coat next time. Do you know if you can spray the can of 2k over all rattle can paints or do you need to match them?
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »

I've often wondered how good the 2k clear coat is. I rattle canned the rear cowl some years back, the paint was mixed to perfection by a local paint shop and put into cans for me but I used standard clear coat and the clear coat finish has not held up too well. I'll try a can of 2k clear coat next time. Do you know if you can spray the can of 2k over all rattle can paints or do you need to match them?

I've only used it over DupliColor paints and bare polished aluminum, so I'm not sure if there are compatibility problems with other paints. Here it is over some plain polished aluminum bits and some DupliColor DE1615 Aluminum painted parts on a 1975 CB400F Super Sport project. As you can see it flows out really smooth!

-Bill

filterMan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »

Nice job. I'll be using that on my engine in the spring time.
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »

OK I've found a paint that looks to be a really good match: DupliColor Medium Charcoal Metallic. It may have a slightly finer metallic than original but should be plenty close enough.

I just need to repaint the fork sliders and clutch case, so after I receive gaskets I'll strip and paint the parts, then clear coat with the Spraymax 2K.

-Bill

Hopey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »

Is the dupli-colour heat resistant when its on engine covers ?
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »

Is the dupli-colour heat resistant when its on engine covers ?

Yes, I've used it on crankcases and side covers on several engines. I'm not sure it would hold up to an air cooled cylinder head though.

-Bill

Hopey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »

Cheers

What colour wheel paint did you use filterman , I'm painting my engine and trying to get something close to the original as I can.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »

OK I've found a paint that looks to be a really good match: DupliColor Medium Charcoal Metallic. It may have a slightly finer metallic than original but should be plenty close enough.

I just need to repaint the fork sliders and clutch case, so after I receive gaskets I'll strip and paint the parts, then clear coat with the Spraymax 2K.

-Bill
That's a remarkably good match

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: