Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
April 21, 2018, 12:08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Non starter  (Read 391 times)
Drew m

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »

Hi
After getting my cb1 going recently with some help from you guys I've got a different problem, went to start bike and it wouldn't start, battery ok, main fuse ok, bike turns over as normal when bridging starter solenoid so not starter, also power going to starter button, I'm thinking it's one of the safety cut outs, the side stand light comes on and of when moving the stand, is there an easy way to bypass these safety circuits to identify which ones at fault.
Thanks Drew
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »

Quick test, put it on centre stand, side stand up, in neutral, kill switch to on (you wouldn't be the first!), clutch lever pulled. If it starts you're a little further on, and can start elimination from there.

Doubt it's the kill switch though as the bike should spin the starter anyway but without ignition, I think?

You'll need to go through the components one by one checking for continuity. Clutch switch, kill switch, sidestand switch, neutral switch could all be the problem. There is a crimp join somewhere in the loom on that circuit (sorry log time ago) that could also have corroded and come apart so if it's none of the components you'll be into stripping the loom tape off.

Could also be a stuck solenoid. Or the starter button itself! Guess easiest thing to start with is blast switchgear with contact cleaner (or wd40 will do)

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »

Hi Drew, Sounds like your starter button has dirty contacts. As I understand it you have power to the black wire running to the starter button, correct? When pressed, the starter button connects the black to the Yellow/Red wire to send power to the solenoid. Try bridging the Y/R and BL at the starter switch harness. Alternatively jump from positive battery to the Yellow/Red at the solenoid. If the starter cranks then the problem is in the button. It's a bit of a complicated switch, since it also momentarily disconnects the headlight power while connecting the starter solenoid. Usually the problem can be fixed with alternate squirts of contact cleaner and compressed air directed to the starter button internals.

Good luck,

-Bill

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
Drew m

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:15 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I will try all the suggested tests, re the starter button yes there is power at the switch, I would have thought the switch would have gave intermittent problems before complete failure, but worth ruling out, bike is off road till summer so plenty of time to work on it, thanks again,
Drew.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:09:06 AM »

I've had a dead spider in there cause a similar issue before!

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: