Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
February 19, 2018, 10:58:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CB-1 Mk2 Project  (Read 247 times)
Pod70

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »

Since the demise of Photobucket, there doesnít seem to be many people posting projects on the forum so I figured Iíd start this thread using Flickr to host the images & hopefully inspire a few of you to do the same.
Ok, so here is the latest project a CB-1 mk2. Although Iíve worked on a mk2 before, this is the first one Iíve owned, although it was never really planned for it to come into my possession. Back in the summer it was posted on the Facebook page and the owner was looking for some help getting it back on the road after a minor crash. The bike had gone down on its left hand side but what caused the damage was that it went under an oncoming vehicle which smashed the clutch cover. As he was fairly local I offered to pop over and help him make a list of parts needed that I should be able to supply from my own stash of bits.
As the parts list grew and the amount of work and money mounted up, he decided that it wasnít worth repairing and that he would sell it for parts. A deal was struck and the bike was wheeled into the back of the van and sat in the shed for quite a few months until I was finally able to get round to sitting it on the bench and looking at it. The plan was for it to be a little project over the Christmas break but life in general and my other bikes had other plansÖÖ
DSCF0774 by pod_70, on Flickr
DSCF0772 by pod_70, on Flickr
The plan is to go through the bike sorting out any issues and get it back on the road again. Itís only going to be a clean-up and repair rather than a full on restoration. Sure Iíve said this before about other projectsÖ.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:35:54 AM by Pod70 » Logged
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »

The first job was to get it on my homemade ABBAish stand through the front engine mounts to raise the front end (my ABBA stand is too wide for the bench). The plan is to start at the front and work my way back.
DSCF0777 by pod_70, on Flickr
Something that definitely needs to be replaced is this exhaust Ė it looks like something that should be fitted to the underside of a Nissan Micra, not the side of a bike. It doesnít look home made either as the headers arenít standard CB-1 so I have no idea where it could have come from. Fortunately I have a decent original exhaust to fit.
DSCF0776 by pod_70, on Flickr
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:57 AM »

Hereís the main damage. It looks worse than it is and there is no play or obvious damage to end of the crank as a result. You can see the bent brake pedal which will also need to be replaced.
DSCF0775 by pod_70, on Flickr
The clutch cover was removed and binned and the sump dropped for cleaning and inspection of the bottom end of the engine. A replacement flywheel & woodruff key have been fitted and while I was there I pulled the clutch to check the condition of the plates (all good).
There was some discussion on the Facebook page about using the £10 Chinese gasket sets off Ebay etc. The previous owner had bought a set and gave them to me with the bike but here are some photos which should explain why I wonít be using them.
IMG_0504 by pod_70, on Flickr
IMG_0461 by pod_70, on Flickr

Aaron - I know that's an NC23 pickup cover but I haven't removed the CB-1 cover yet  Grin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:45:01 AM by Pod70 » Logged
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »

The Front brake was seized on solid so this was removed (eventually) and stripped for cleaning and rebuild. The pistons have come up fine with a clean & polish so I just need a new set of seals.
DSCF0778 by pod_70, on Flickr
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »

Thanks for posting Pod70, I'll be interested to- follow along. So I assume you checked the end of the crankshaft for runout? That's a scary looking ding in the flywheel!

-Bill

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
filterMan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »

Looks like a nice little winter project. I wish I had a garage like yours, I particularly like the look of the most important tool in the workshop, the kettle! I have to put up with this freezing weather if my bike goes wrong.

You'll have it ready for the spring then  Grin

Just out of curiosity, where do you buy your gaskets and stuff from?
Efreeman55

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »

I'd be really concerned about the end of the crank being bent with that kind of damage to the case and alternator rotor.  I have a spare, low mileage engine I bought along with my CB1 and it also had been down with damage to the alternator cover case.  The damage isn't as bad as yours but it was enough to bend the end of the crank.  Definitely something to check.

Eric
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »

We all love a project, keep it coming!

I'm also interested in what differences there are between a type one and a type two. You're one of very few people with access to both at the same time and a good eye, so it'll be interesting to see what you find. I know about higher bars, different tank and corresponding single snorkel airbox, the stock type 2 silencer is a little longer, various bits with different/darker finishes. Is the seat the same? Did they modify the footrests to match higher bars (they do this on the SV650/S for example)? Shock is different, is it the same dimensions just with a gas canister, or longer?

I have convertibars on my bike now, they could get to pretty much the height of your bars, with longer cables. Be interested in how the bike feels once complete.

I suspect that exhaust was fairly bling once upon a time, the spring hooks certainly suggest that even if the missing springs don't. Looks JDM, probably fitted to the bike back in Japan. Is the silencer aluminium? I suspect it's better than Dad Morti's bike has on it, he might be interested.

The engine has lighter paint than would expect on a type 2, I suspect it was already changed once in its life. edit: could just be the light

I bought a set of gaskets off Graeme France. He has had a batch of replicas made. Price wasn't quite £10 but cheaper than Honda and you know if it's GF, it'll be fine.

You can use the nc23 ignition cover, assuming it's same as CBR600f1, just fit the single ignition pickup from the CB-1 with some suitable screws.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:18:31 PM by a_morti » Logged

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 05:28:18 AM »

Damage to the end of the crankshaft was my main concern too. I did fabricate a bracket out of angle iron to mount to the crankcase and then sat my dial gauge on that to measure any run-out. it seems to be fine but I forgot to take any photos. It seems to be ok but I won't really know for sure until I fire it up and it's under load. I'll re-jig it & get a photo done. If the worst comes to the worst, I have a few engines spare but most need rebuilding in one way or another.

Normally get my gaskets and a few other bits through Graeme France as like Aaron says, he may not be the cheapest, but you know that the parts will be good quality.

Filterman - I've waited years to get a garage like this sorted out. It's only a single but it has power & light although there are normally a few bikes in there so you have move things out and around to get jobs done. I seem to spend as much time moving stuff out of the way as I do working on the bikes. Unfortunately the 'kettle' is a fuel jug so wouldn't want to be drinking out of that  Cheesy

Aaron - I'll try and make notes of any differences but I think you've listed the main ones and it does look like this bike has been modified quite a bit over time so has probably lost some original bits along the way - look at the Chinese front master cylinder & levers for example. My 1st CB-1 came with the same canister type rear shock & even had a bracket mounted to the frame to take the canister.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:32:11 AM by Pod70 » Logged
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »

Chinese brakes... why??

'Bit sloppy' - and he's replaced it with another cheap junk part!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLaen3HCjWg

No. Just no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVlnOyZx4b8

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: