Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 19, 2018, 06:23:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Pacific Coast ride, CB-1 style  (Read 1807 times)
Spurlock

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:19:31 AM »

Part 1-

With dry weather and moderate temps here in northern California I decided an overnight coast loop was in order.

After checking all vitals the bike was ready to head out last Tuesday morning.

I take Hwy 128 past Lake Hennessey and on over to Geyserville, past vineyards ablaze with mustard blooms.

Grabbing a sandwich to go, I eagerly head for the incomparable Skaggs Springs Rd., 34 miles of riding pleasure that would take me to the Pacific Coast. The road constantly weaves its way up to ridge tops, then down into deep canyons then repeats over and over again. Floating along the roller coaster path it occurs to me this is like dancing (or what I imagine it must be for those who can dance well!), the bike is my partner and the road provides the music and tempo. CB-1 and I both seem perfectly in sync with the rhythm of the road.

About half way along the tempo changes as the road narrows and the pavement gets a bit funky. Time to tighten up our moves and stay nimble.

At the next ridge top it's intermission, time for lunch. I enjoy my sandwich in total quiet, not another person or vehicle in sight and with spectacular views in every direction.

After 28 miles, this sign announces there have been 445 curves so far. I wasn't counting but there had to have been at least that many, and every one was fun!

Then this sign tells me I have 189 more to look forward to before reaching the coast.

With only 9 miles to go the air is cooler and the redwood forest more dense. I savor the last of this dance right to the end.

I roll down to Stewarts Point and my first glimpse of the ocean.

-Bill

Continued....

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »

Map of second half of route:

The coast is sunny and warm as I head north on Hwy 1.

In the early 1800s the Russians established outposts along the northern California coast, and this was the inspiration for the architecture style of the handsome St. Orres restaurant above Gualala. Friends worked on its construction back in the 1970s so I always give it a good look when passing by.

A bit further north I head up a steep driveway for a visit and overnight stay with my brother Frank. We have a great time catching up, and Frank whips up a gourmet meal which we wash down with a bit of wine. Thanks hermano, you run one hell of a B&B!

To the faint sound of sea lions barking in the distance, I fall into a cozy bed and drift off to sleep, dreaming of tomorrow's adventures.

Next morning under overcast skies the sea is once again calm. Spots of blue sky promise sunshine ahead. I meander north along the coast taking in the sights. To me there is something profound about standing on the very edge of the continent and staring at the ocean. Is it the mystery of what's under the surface? Or its vastness? Or just the fact that the change from land to water is so sudden? Whatever, living inland as I do it always feels good to sit and stare for a bit when I have the privelege.

Man cannot ride a motorcycle on sentiment alone, so past the little town of Point Arena I stop for a hearty breakfast at the Rollerville Cafe., apparently the closest mainland cafe to Hawaii, who knew?

After breakfast my CB-1 partner and I follow the Pacific Coast Highway north before turning inland. It's a graceful, flowing slow dance....

....punctuated by occasional uptempo sections....

....and it's all dramatically scenic. This is what's called living on the edge -

At the tiny town of Elk I turn inland on Philo-Greenwood Road and say goodbye to the ocean in the rear view mirror.

Part 3 coming up next,

-Bill

Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:25:30 AM »

Part 3 -
Philo-Greenwood is 18 miles of rough pavement, tight turns, and once again constant climbing to sunny ridge tops with apple orchards and dropping into damp Redwood shaded canyons. It's a fine ride. I'll just let the pictures do the talking.

Reaching Hwy 128 I head south a few miles to Boonville and turn onto Hwy 253, Boonville Ukiah Road. This piece of asphalt perfection is a real treat: smooth, scenic, climbing to a high ridge then suddenly delivering a long twisty downhill ending at Hwy 101. First the climb out of Boonville....

And the ridge top twisties....

I ride 101 south to Hopland and lunch at the Bluebird cafe. Always good food and funky decor.

After lunch it's time to head for home, starting with another all time great road, Hwy 175 to Middletown. Climbing up and away from Hopland I leave the Anderson Valley behind.

Cresting the summit I'm treated to a panorama of Clear Lake and Mt. Konocti before a steep drop down to Lakeport.

Heading on toward Middletown I take a side loop on Bottle Rock Road, so named because of the abundance of obsidian along parts of the roadside, those black rocks in the right of this shot. Back lit by the sun, it twinkles like stars as I ride past.

On the home stretch, I follow Butts Canyon and Pope Valley back to 128.

A fine handling bike, great weather, great roads, and little to no traffic has me practically bursting with moto joy as I finally pull my dance partner back into the shop. Life is good.

-Bill

Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »

Awesome ride report and pictures.  Totally jealous of the roads you have near you.  I have two and a half hours of SoCal freeways to traverse before I can get anywhere with that kind of emptiness, scenery and long distance.

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
Efreeman55

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »

Wonderful report with spectacular photos!  Thanks very much!  I'm crying right now since we're expecting snow by Sunday with temps in the 20's.

I wish I had been with you on your ride, with either my CB-1 or my GB500 (now 601cc).  Beautiful roads perfect for light, nimble bikes.  I think I'd leave my MV Agusta F4 at home!

Eric
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:35:59 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Sugs and Eric, yes I am totally spoiled by the amazing riding around here. We are suffering a return to drought conditions right now, when it should be raining a lot. But since it's been dry and quite warm what's a guy to do but go for a ride?

I have to say, this ride really sold me on the bike. I'd put around 1K miles on it since purchase and was really liking it. But having a two day session of nothing but epic twisty roads with little to no traffic really let me know the bike more intimately and trust the solidness of the handling. I had dropped gearing to 37T rear and 16T front, and for me this proved ideal on the trip. I can still motor away from 25 mph in 6th gear, and when cruising at 55 can drop 1 or 2 gears to execute a quick passing situation. And did I mention the handling is superb?

-Bill

Dash

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »

Ddddaaaayyyummmm

Im not jeleous. No sir, not at all. Not me. Nope. Angry Angry Angry Angry

Fun read and nice pictures.  Grin Awesome scenery around there.
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »

Ddddaaaayyyummmm

Im not jeleous. No sir, not at all. Not me. Nope. Angry Angry Angry Angry

Fun read and nice pictures.  Grin Awesome scenery around there.

Ha ha, sorry to torment you guys suffering in cold weather regions!

-Bill

emiller412

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »

Remarkable photos.  I just bought a CB-1 project, and am looking forward to riding it soon..   

Couldn't help notice your bars, they look like my Interceptor 1000F's.   Where did you get them?

Can you send photos of your bike' fuel hoses, pump and filter?  mine are completely missing and I don't know how it should look....

emiller412@gmail.com .. San Diego CA

Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »

Hi there emiller412,

My bike was fitted with Honda Hawk NT650 bars when I got it.

I'll take those photos soon and post or email them to you. Good luck with your project, these are amazing bikes!

-Bill

emiller412

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 11:38:16 PM »

That would be great, thank you.   I saw this bike on craigslist as a "project" .. 20 something kid had taken the carbs off and tried to rebuild them... but lost interest and didn't really know what he was doing.  It is pretty nice, all stock, so I wanted to save it from being parted out or falling into the hands of rat-bike creators.. Plus I had a new '77 400F when I was a teenager.  Only problem was he lost a lot of hardware and the fuel hoses, clamps, pump, filter ..or he was not interested in finding them in his garage.. that's why I would like a photo... Yours is nice and stock and unmolested.
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 07:24:38 AM »

Welcome to the club!

Start a thread, get some pictures up, and we'll be happy to help you save another-1.

https://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Honda_CB1_NC27.html

These guys do better than OEM seals at a fraction of the price. If the PO had the carbs open, safe bet the seals will be lost or have dried out or have needed replacing in the first place.

They also host the owners / workshop manual. Should help with working on it. The fuel hoses are a problem though. They are NLA and the rubber goes hard with age so used spares are rocking horse poop. Just make something up with regular hose / bends.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

Hi there emiller412,

My bike was fitted with Honda Hawk NT650 bars when I got it.

I'll take those photos soon and post or email them to you. Good luck with your project, these are amazing bikes!

-Bill

Photos posted in new thread here:
http://www.hondacb1.org/forum/index.php/topic,5629.0.html

ptlcb1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »

Simply Awesome!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: