Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
August 18, 2018, 07:43:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike stalls when put into gear from Neutal  (Read 461 times)
ChutarrUngli

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »

Hey everyone,

One evening I turned my bike on and went out for a ride. Suddenly I started experiencing loss of power between 4k and 6k RPM while in third gear while accelerating. The bike also backfired 2 times.

I headed back home and when I got to my drive through, everything was running fine. I placed the bike on the centre stand and let it run in gear to understand what's going on and didn't find any issues.

The following evening I start the bike again (kick stand up) and when I place it in gear, the bike stalled. I figured to check the engine oil and the previous owners had not changed it. A day, and approx. 4 quarts later (the bike burns oil...), I changed the oil and started the bike up. As soon as I put it into gear, the bike stalls. I have tightened the shift lever (had more than 5mm of free play, brought it down to ~0.2mm) yet the bike stalls. I'm thinking either the clutch plates need to be replaced or the side stand switch is gunked up. I want to bypass the side stand switch to see if that's the problem causing the stalls or not.

Could you folks help me understand the issue and help me bypass the side stand switch, please?

Thank you!
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »

Hi there,

It does sound like you are on the right track with the side stand switch. Follow the switch lead up to its plug. It has three wires. When the stand is in the up position there should be continuity between the green and the yellow/black wires. When in the down position, there should be continuity between the green and the green/white wires. So to bypass, unplug the switch and jump between the green and the yellow/black pins at the harness plug.

If that solves the problem, then either the switch is bad or possibly it is not engaging the side stand bolt so is not rotating back and forth to the corect positions. The switch has a small flat pin the engages a hole in the head of the stand bolt. If the pin is bent and not in its hole then it can be rotating randomly.

Have you noticed whether the "side stand" light on the dash lights or flickers when the engine dies? Assuming the bulb is good it should light whenever the switch is in the stand-down position. Good luck,

-Bill
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:39:27 PM by Spurlock » Logged

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
ChutarrUngli

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »

Thanks bud! I'll do in the next possible instance! Right now I have to figure out how I can get the side stand spring back on again...

The side stand bulb is not working so I never was able to tell if the side stand is up or down till the bike stalled...
ChutarrUngli

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 01:11:50 AM »

Fixed the problem. It was related to the kick stand kill switch. But the switch itself was fine. I guess the wire got a bit loose because when i followed the fire, it was pulled out of the connector...connected it back, and made a mental note to only use the centre stand and not the side stand moving forward...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: