Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
October 20, 2018, 10:14:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First peek inside the valve cover  (Read 1179 times)
Spurlock

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »

Today was wet and foggy, perfect for a nice shop project. So, shim kit in hand, I decided to check valve clearance on the CB-1 400 four. First things first, I got a good fire going in the wood stove to make sure my faithful companion Blondie was happy. She was.

Then after pulling the tank, air box, plug wires, assorted hoses and the valve cover I got my first glimpse of the gear driven DOHC goodness. The split gears are slightly offset and spring loaded to take up gear lash to reduce noise.

All 16 valves measured well within tolerance and were surprisingly consistent, even though it did not appear the valve cover had ever been off before.

It's interesting how the carburetors and intake manifolds aim in a straight line to the combustion chambers.

I had pulled the valve cover off with the radiator hoses still in place which made it much harder. So to make sure the cam cover seal stayed in place on the way back together, I drained coolant and got all hoses out of the way. That made it much easier to put the cover back on.

After getting things all buttoned up, I'm looking forward to a ride as soon as the roads dry out.

-Bill

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:02:10 AM »

Your bike is in amazing condition.

Your little pal is a looker. Do we need a pets thread?

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
See Bee-Won

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »

You lucked out. I had a few tight clearances on my first valve check. Second time everything was within spec. Many times you can swap around shims without even replacing any. Have a notepad, pen, egg carton, and calculator handy. Organization and patience is key. One of those jobs where you wish you wouldn't of slept through H.S. math class.  Grin
crorembere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »

nice one sir..
places to visit.
onboard shots.
before and after shots of modded bikes?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: