Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 25, 2018, 03:38:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing the CB-1 for restoration  (Read 195 times)
JamesM

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »

Hey all,

I haven't been on here much recently, hope everyone is well.

I've not used my CB-1 much this summer apart from the odd ride to work, recently had a kid so time has been very limited! Insurance, tax and MOT is just coming up so I decided to take the bike off the road (SORN'd in the UK) to do some much needed restoration.

I was after some advice about prepping the bike for being laid up for awhile, looked online but loads of conflicting info:

- Tank: advice online seems to be either keep the tank full and add fuel stabiliser because of the amount of ethanol in modern fuels attracting water OR totally drain it and spray a bit of WD40 in. The inside of the tank looks good, no rust. I read horror stories of people draining the tank and it rusting. The tank is going to be off the bike on a shelf for awhile so I'd rather it was empty. What do you guys recommend?

- Carbs: I'm planning on draining them. I cleaned them up a few years ago and replaced the gaskets and O-rings. Don't want old fuel gumming them up.

- Ports: I'll stuff rags in the air box snorkles and exhaust to stop moisture getting in. I've also heard spray some oil down the plugs? WD40?

The bike needs a thorough going over, paintwork I did on the engine years back is wearing bad and an exhaust gasket is blowing so the system needs to come off. I'm going to use Pod70's excellent guide to do the valve clearances and the carbs need balancing. I bought the ABBA stand and front lift so the bike can be dissembled over time.

I was debating whether to drop the engine out to make painting it easier. Is it a tough job? I've read on here that there is a risk the mounts can crack.

Cheers!
James
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:22:48 AM »

First thing to say is, are you doing a restoration, or are you putting it in boxes to sit on a shelf? These aren't the same but one can quickly turn into the other.

I'd leave fuel in the tank, but spraying oil around seems reasonable. It'll be easier to paint empty though. Bear in mind that the oil will then run through your engine though, don't overdo it.

Over time left disassembled, the water seals in the engine will perish. Damhikt. Seals in the carbs will dry out (be fine if you used the viton type from Thailand). Fork and brake seals, plus tyres can all dry out over long term storage.

Never try to paint a bike still assembled. It'll look horrible. Take it out, clean it very thoroughly and paint the whole thing in black or silver engine paint, mask the covers but don't need to be too precise. Then remove the side covers, strip all the paint chemically, and put some enamel or powder coat on. Refit with new gaskets from Graeme France and some stainless bolts.

Front engine mount bolts will almost definitely be stuck and, if really corroded, can crack. Go straight in with the big guns. Drip penetrating oil in over as long as you can, get it really hot to expand the alloy off the bolt (this is key), and hit it with an impact gun rather than a long lever.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: