Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
May 25, 2019, 04:06:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not reving above 7k from second gear onwards  (Read 1258 times)
Rexeriot

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »

Hi . I have a 1990 model. Hasn't been on the road for over 10 years. I bought it last year and the first thing I did was clean the carbs inc the jets as 3 pilot jets  were blocked.  Took the bike for its first run today. It revs perfectly in neutral and first gear but as soon as you start going up the box it starts to bog down around 6-7 k. Any ideas what it could be. It was 3 months ago I cleaned the carbs so could I have a blocked jet again. Many thanks 

a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »

Is it a Japanese or USA model?

Japanese has a top speed limiter which can fail and seem like what you say.

USA that would sound like an issue in the carbs or fuel delivery system.

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Rexeriot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »

Hi.  It's a Jap model. I had thought that but because it kept fluctuating I wasn't  sure. How does the limiter work on this bike ? Thanks
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 05:52:49 AM »

There is a disc on the Speedo with a tab which covers a sensor as the needle gets to 180kmh. The restrictor just cuts power on the orange/blue wire when that happens, restricting the ignition to about 6k.

Find that orange/blue wire. Could be it's come unplugged. If it has non original plugs the restricted will be missing which will give same symptoms.

Easy fix, give 12v to that wire.

Rexeriot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 06:01:51 AM »

Thanks for that . I'll give it a try. Sounds like someone has obviously tried to by pass before and the mod is failing . Cheers
Rexeriot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »

I found the plug behind the speedo. All looks original . I've put a loop between the orange/blue and the black/Brown. I just need a 12v supply to that loop ? Where's the best place to take it from ? Thanks
Rexeriot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »

When I first took the bike out 3 months ago I had the same symptoms and the speedo cable was broken then..... so the restriction shouldn't have  worked should it?
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 04:01:42 PM »

If the restriction is disconnected it tells the ECU that you're always going over 180kmh and always to restrict the ignition. Speedo cable wouldn't be relevant there.

I've previously looped black/brown and orange/blue with no further issues.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have other problems in carbs or coils.

Rexeriot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »

Hi again. I've looked in the headlamp and discovered that the black/Brown wire and the blue one go into a block connector with lots of other wires . The orange/blue one is the only wire that is external and goes to a rubber shrouded bullet connector.  Why is this ? Has it been designed to be disconnected and what happens if it is ? Thanks
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

There is no restrictor on the USA variant of the bike, so I guess it's kept separate so as to be easily excluded from export bikes?

If you unplug it, or if the restrictor is faulty, gives the same symptoms of won't rev out. Usually though it would cut to around 6k rpm not 7k rpm. Maybe with enough run up it'd creep to 7k, but probably not.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: