Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
November 15, 2019, 08:37:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CB-1 Race Bike Question  (Read 825 times)
foolonawheel

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »

I just purchased a CB1 race bike with an XR650L engine.  I'm getting it ready for it's first race since 1999.  My question is is the VTR1000F front wheel a direct swap?  Will the stock CB1 rotor work or do I need a Super Hawk rotor.  A 3.5" front wheel really opens up my tire choices.
 Your input is much appreciated!
pittmeister

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »

I recall when I did my VTR swap that the discs interfered with the stock fork lowers. I also the rotor bolts are not the same from the VTR to CB-1, M6 for the VTR and M8 on the CB-1
foolonawheel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:08:06 PM »

How about an F2 wheel and rotor?  Thanks!
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 12:12:26 PM »

Superhawk wheel with stock rotor is fine. You just need either to drill and tap the holes in the wheel for m8, or get some m6 bolts with 8mm shoulders. Source: I've had a cb-1 wheel in superhawk lowers on cb-1 forks for the big fixed caliper.

Same goes for f3 wheel. Source: I've had a cbr400 wheel (same) in stock forks with stock disc.

F2 wheel won't work. Unless you get a very specific 310mm disc off a triumph. Maybe a thunderbird sport? Can't remember for certain.

There's plenty of mods you can do to get the front end better. F3 fork has cartridge internals and fits you lowers. Most all 41mm honda showa forks share most of the dimensions. Very interchangeable
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:16:03 PM by a_morti » Logged

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »

Btw, that's a very random engine and frame combo. Any idea why it was selected?

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
foolonawheel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:26:27 PM »

Back in the bad old days it was popular to build single cylinder race bikes.  They're all kind of orphans now, sad to say.
RVFRick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »

Seems a hassle to swap front end parts incrementally - requires fiddling and guessing and you may end up with suboptimal function.  Why not transplant a whole front end (forks + wheels + brakes) rather than just a wheel or brake part where everything was designed to work together in the first place? Is there an advantage doing it piecemeal?

http://www.hondacb1.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=5384.0
"Yeah, as many know I recently did the front end swap with a 2005 CBR600rr. That does require the use of the whole front end off of the CBR. Pretty much a bolt on, and the front rim of the CBR is also a three spoke, so matching the rear rim is good. You will have to modify the gauges bracket, but takes about an hour, depending on your skill level."

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.
'90 CB-1, '95 NC35, '94 MC28, '82 C70, '09 Odyssey
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: