Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
September 23, 2019, 02:16:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a new CB-1 owner  (Read 270 times)
.regal

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »

So I bought a CB-1 last month as my first bike. Its in very good shape, it runs well, and Im very happy with it. I havent ridden it too much because theres a pretty bad countershaft seal leak, and due to the difficulty of replacing it, Im not sure what to do about it.

Ive already replaced all the brake fluid as it was low and brown, and I have new spark plugs and an air filter to go in when I have the time. What Im wondering is if theres anything else I should look at that might need attention. Anything thats sort of a common issue that I should get done now that the bike is mine.

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.
JokeySmurf

FZ700 WR200 DRZ400SM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 08:43:55 PM »

Any GS500's on your local Craigslist? Why did you buy a neglected 30 year old, poorly maintained, cult classic as your first bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeI6lyC4gS4

Have you considered a newer used enduro bike? The best place to learn to ride safely is in the dirt.
https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/5-best-used-dual-sport-motorcycles-5000/

They're also a good way to learn maintenance before moving on to more complex 13,000 rpm gear drive cam road machines.
You can swiftly change the spark plug and clean the foam air filter between check marks on your honey-do list.

How's the rear suspension? Is it stock or a Penske/Fox external reservoir clicker?

* jokey_smurf_sa.png (118.07 KB, 354x377 - viewed 46 times.)

KX80, YAMAHA Radian, TriZ175, DT175, YAMAHA Blaster, Suzuki GT550, GS550, FJ600, Honda 200X, KZ550, FZR600, R6, WR200, DRZ400SM, FZ700 https://imgur.com/7x4AdxZ
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 07:37:03 AM »

@JS, that's no way to welcome a new member. In fact your posts are often snipey and I can't say I like it. Wondering why the forum is quiet? Just look how new members are welcomed.

@Regal, Welcome! Most of the traffic here moved to the Facebook group cb-1 cb400f, you may do better to check in there.

It sounds like that seal needs changed before you can ride the bike, and that you're putting it off? Not much point changing the brake fluid if the bike is off the road with an "auto chain oiler" error.

It's worth going through the connectors on the charging system including the battery and starter solenoid, and know the regulator is a weak link. Doesn't hurt to put cpu paste behind the regulator if you have some about the place.

Otherwise there's no specific weaknesses to the model. Just the usual sort of stuff you'd get on any older bike. All sorts of seals, tyres may be old, shock may be ready to spit its oil. Etc etc...

Cam Drive Gear Train Smiley
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »

I have to agree with a_morti re: Jokey Smurf, why the snarky attitude all the time? The guy just bought a CB-1, the bike we are here to celebrate, not tear down.

And welcome .regal. As a_morti said, you're going to have to fix that oil leak, otherwise it might dump oil on your rear tire after a hard run. But first have you confirmed the leak is really coming from the C/S seal? Clean the area thoroughly with solvent, then run the bike a short time and inspect. If you are very lucky the oil might be from the shift spindle seal or oil pressure sender, both of which are simple fixes. Good luck!

-Bill

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1
JokeySmurf

FZ700 WR200 DRZ400SM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »

I'm not tearing down the bike. I'm tearing down the idea of this man owning this bike. You do understand the difference between bikes, ideas and men?

I've replaced my lucky rabbit's foot with a shift spindle seal.

* motaur.jpg (9.38 KB, 318x159 - viewed 44 times.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:23:16 PM by JokeySmurf » Logged

KX80, YAMAHA Radian, TriZ175, DT175, YAMAHA Blaster, Suzuki GT550, GS550, FJ600, Honda 200X, KZ550, FZR600, R6, WR200, DRZ400SM, FZ700 https://imgur.com/7x4AdxZ
JokeySmurf

FZ700 WR200 DRZ400SM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »

@JS, that's no way to welcome a new member. In fact your posts are often snipey and I can't say I like it. Wondering why the forum is quiet? Just look how new members are welcomed.

@Regal, Welcome! Most of the traffic here moved to the Facebook group cb-1 cb400f, you may do better to check in there.

It sounds like that seal needs changed before you can ride the bike, and that you're putting it off? Not much point changing the brake fluid if the bike is off the road with an "auto chain oiler" error.

It's worth going through the connectors on the charging system including the battery and starter solenoid, and know the regulator is a weak link. Doesn't hurt to put cpu paste behind the regulator if you have some about the place.

Otherwise there's no specific weaknesses to the model. Just the usual sort of stuff you'd get on any older bike. All sorts of seals, tyres may be old, shock may be ready to spit its oil. Etc etc...

Member? Is this the Knights of Columbus? What's the initiation? Are goldfish involved? Are there smurf blue jackets for Members Only? I'll trade in my Belstaff.

His first bike is a CB-1. CB-1's are old and rare and broken and sought after.
He has put off changing the plugs & air filter and addressing the oil leak for a month.
He's taken a bike that has been sitting around for 20 years and quarantined it. Another CB-1 off the market.
Why wouldn't a newer GS500 be a better fit for him?

There isn't much activity here because you are boring. You are boring and I can't say I like it. Have you considered a ghost writer?

https://ragstock.com/shop/product-category/recycled-vintage-clothing/members-only-jackets/

* letgo.jpg (9.4 KB, 168x300 - viewed 45 times.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:24:26 PM by JokeySmurf » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: