Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
July 01, 2022, 10:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: California emmisions  (Read 356 times)
thegooseisloose

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »

I just recently acquired a 1990 cb-1, and I noticed it was a California vehicle with the emmisions system. I'm just curious because I can't seem to find any information on the system. Does anyone have any information on removing it? Is it worth taking off the bike?
Spurlock

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 09:39:01 AM »

The California emissions system is detailed starting on page 1-25 of the Honda service manual. Basically the system included a charcoal canister to absorb fuel vapors from the tank vent and carburetor vents plus associated tubing and valves that control purging the canister. The second part is the secondary air supply system, which introduces filtered air into the exhaust ports to burn unburned hydrocarbons. Neither system affects performance, but can cause problems if any of the many rubber tubes develop leaks. There is also a small amount of weight to be saved by removing all components and blocking off all disconnected ports.

-Bill

I just recently acquired a 1990 cb-1, and I noticed it was a California vehicle with the emmisions system. I'm just curious because I can't seem to find any information on the system. Does anyone have any information on removing it? Is it worth taking off the bike?

1975 Honda CB125S2, 1989 Honda NX250, 1989 Honda GB500, 1989 Honda CB-1, 1997 Honda CB50V
a_morti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 10:36:35 AM »

The California emissions system is detailed starting on page 1-25 of the Honda service manual. Basically the system included a charcoal canister to absorb fuel vapors from the tank vent and carburetor vents plus associated tubing and valves that control purging the canister. The second part is the secondary air supply system, which introduces filtered air into the exhaust ports to burn unburned hydrocarbons. Neither system affects performance, but can cause problems if any of the many rubber tubes develop leaks. There is also a small amount of weight to be saved by removing all components and blocking off all disconnected ports.

-Bill

Exactly this.
In the meantime I have moved on to more modern bikes, and actually it's quite nice heading out to the garage in warm weather and it doesn't smell like evaporated gas.

No need to remove any of that stuff unless it's actually giving you trouble, IMHO.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: