Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
October 21, 2018, 08:53:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange  (Read 3637 times)
balageaxe

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2006, 11:16:41 AM »

Hi everybody!

I have bought a CB1 in september, it's a very good bike! Smiley
Although, it has a strange problem. Until the engine warms up, it sometimes stops. Especially, when i break, or just take away the thrust. What can it be? Fuel filter? I'm planning to make a big repair in winter.

thx for your help, and sorry for my bad english Smiley

Balage from Hungary.
Car2Slo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »

Depends how severe the problem is but this may be normal for most older carburated motors.

You need to use the choke until the bike is warmed up.  If you prematurely shut choke off before the bike is warm, throttle response will be poor, bike will hesitate while excelerating, bike may shut-off on you when off the throttle.  Best bet is to keep choke open until you see the temperature gauge move (past bottom line).

If this is severe then check the idle RPM when bike is warm.  Don't remember what it should be on the CB-1 but idle should is normally 1200-1500rpm when warm.  The other problem may be carburators need cleaning or rejetting (especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust or air intake mod).
balageaxe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »

Depends how severe the problem is but this may be normal for most older carburated motors.

You need to use the choke until the bike is warmed up.  If you prematurely shut choke off before the bike is warm, throttle response will be poor, bike will hesitate while excelerating, bike may shut-off on you when off the throttle.  Best bet is to keep choke open until you see the temperature gauge move (past bottom line).

If this is severe then check the idle RPM when bike is warm.  Don't remember what it should be on the CB-1 but idle should is normally 1200-1500rpm when warm.  The other problem may be carburators need cleaning or rejetting (especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust or air intake mod).

[/i]

THX! Of course, i use the choke until working temperature. The idle RPM is OK, too. There's an other thing i didn't mention. The bike does the same (can shut-off), if i start it using side stand, sitting on it, and setting it up. Or just toss the bike a little forward, and apply the break.
It is quite disturbing, if i'm in the hurry (have not enough time to warm it up) and the bike stops at each crossing...

What is carburators "rejetting"? re-set?
I have a raptor exhaust...
Car2Slo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:04:51 PM »

...bike does the same (can shut-off), if i start it using side stand, sitting on it, and setting it up. Or just toss the bike a little forward, and apply the break.

Are you saying the bike will start with the side stand down and in gear?  Test to see if it does this;  put kick stand / side stand down, start bike, clutch in and kick down into first gear with side stand down.

The Honda's (if I remember correctly) have a safety kill that shuts off the bike when the side stand is down and you are in gear.  It may be possible that the kick stand safety switch is gone bad or loose.  Try the test I suggested above and let us know if the bike runs or not.

My thought is that this safety kill switch has gone loose where it is not working normally but as soon as you brake hard enough it triggers and cause the bike to shut down.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:11:48 PM by Car2Slo » Logged
balageaxe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:28:39 AM »

Unfortunately it's surely not that safety switch. Of course, i know it stops the engine, if i'm trying to put in gear1 while side stand is down...

I mentioned this side-stand thing, because the bike does the same shut-off if i shake it, or move it a little. Until it gets warm...
Car2Slo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 04:20:42 PM »

Someone had a similar problem on another forum (bike died when coming to stop or riding).  The general concensus is it's a fuel problem, fuel starving.  Check you got a good tank of gas (no contaminents), check the fuel filter and lines for blockage.

It's strange that the bike will die when you shake it while parked, I'm almost tempted to say look at the electrical wiring once you check fuel is okay.
balageaxe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:34:26 AM »

Someone had a similar problem on another forum (bike died when coming to stop or riding).  The general concensus is it's a fuel problem, fuel starving.  Check you got a good tank of gas (no contaminents), check the fuel filter and lines for blockage.

It's strange that the bike will die when you shake it while parked, I'm almost tempted to say look at the electrical wiring once you check fuel is okay.

Yes, it can be fuel problem. I thought so too. There's only one thing i don't understand, why only during "warm-up"? I must check the fuel lines. What i already noticed, is some rust in the tank Sad
Gibbo_3k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:33:25 AM »

I had the same problem. I adjusted the idle knob on the left hand side and that seemed to sort it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: