Also Check Out
ATVFlorida.com
PinballShark.com

© 2014
HondaCB1.org Message Forums
August 02, 2021, 11:24:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to HondaCB1.org! Please register in the Forum to post messages or view attached photos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring a CB-1 that sat for 26 years in a garage  (Read 620 times)
Hossman

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »

Hey guys, I have a 1990 CB-1 that never got the love it deserved.

This is the first time I've attempted to restore a motorcycle, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

The bike sat with a full tank of fuel during that long time in storage. I already have the tank sorted: new gas cap, de-rusted and flushed out the inside, new petcock. I removed all the spark plugs and sprayed a ton of wd-40 in the holes to lubricate the cylinder walls. Prior to doing that, I did hit the starter motor for a split second to see if the starter motor worked. I had already turned over the motor with a wrench and encountered no significant resistance. The WD-40 was just an extra precaution I suppose. I plan on warming up the motor once I have the bike in a runnable condition, then draining the oil to put in fresh oil and new filter.

The front brake master cylinder is 100% shot. Needs to be rebuilt. The rear brake seemed to be functional, so I proceeded to bleed it and then the rear caliper seized. I saw that one coming, so I guess I gotta remove it and rebuild that caliper. I guess I'll buy some seals for the front caliper while I'm at it.

I had a problem where the 10amp fuse that's on the Ignition/Starter Relay/Regulator/Fuel Pump circuit kept blowing when I hit the starter button. I removed the fuel pump and found that to be the issue. Now I can turn the motor over without the fuse blowing. Should I forego a fuel pump and just do gravity feed? I know that means I won't be able to use all of my reserve portion of the tank. I've also been thinking about buying a generic low pressure fuel pump to replace the OEM Honda pump.

One thing that intimidates me a little about the restore is the carb clean/rebuild. I have never taken apart a carb in my life. Lol. I have replaced a couple cheap ones on lawn mowers and generators, but never disassembled one. A local shop quoted me $350 for all four carbs if I buy the rebuild kit. Which, I assume is the Litetek one I've been reading about?

Also, my other two bikes are air-cooled. I've never worked on a water-cooled bike. Should I just loosen the drain plug and drain whatever fluid is left in the radiator? Should I expect rust? Not sure what to expect...

I'm excited to get this bike on the road eventually!
Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:44:54 PM »

There is no longer much activity on the forum, it may take several days before anyone answers.  If you are on facebook, there is a cb400f forum and you may get answers quicker.

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
Sugs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 10:56:17 PM »

Also, the two questions you asked.

You will run into a couple of things with the carbs.  First is the bike is rare so if you end up needing parts for the carbs and you can't find originals, you will have to do what I did and source Honda Hurricane carbs, I believe '88 to '89 vintage are the right years.  Many of the parts are interchangeable but not all of them.

Second, the carb to head rubber insulators are no longer in production.  If yours are rock hard like mine were, you will need to source new ones.  Here is a set on eBay and they look good but really hard to tell for sure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB400F-CB1-1989-Carburetor-Insulator-A-B-Intake-Boot/264466994509?hash=item3d9376154d:g:S-4AAOSw0rddfvCV

The radiator I would just drain and flush as best you can.  I'm sure it will be grimy but not full of rust hopefully.

1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - 1990 Honda CB1
Pod70

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 04:21:13 PM »

Sounds like you're off to a good start and good luck with the rebuild.
I have a YouTube channel PodspeedUK where I've posted a few videos covering various aspects of of the CB-1 & CBR400 (which shares a lot of parts) if you need any help. Also as Sugs says, most of us are also on Facebook these days
knee-dragger777

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »

Regarding the fuel pump, i recommend soaking it in pine sol for a about 24 hours and seeing if you can revive it.  Ol=thers here have replaced them with low flow aftermarket parts successfully, but I personally haven't had to.  Also, the fuel system takes a LONG (about 90 seconds) time to prime.  Be sure to have a hot battery when doing first start.  maybe even remove some plugs for the first time to "prime" the system to relieve the resistance of compression on the motor.  Just a suggestion.

Regarding the carbs, yest LITEK is your friend.  Order the parts if they are available.  Many 600 Hurrican carb parts will interchange.  diaphrams are getting hard to find.  Partzilla is a good tool to reference part numbers for cross reference between models. i removed the carb float bowls, floats, needles and jets and soaked them in a sonic cleaner and had great luck.  I personally left the carbs on the connection rails and did not break the fuel and air connection tubes between them.  Tons of little o rings between them, and I was lucky enough to not have them leak.

I live in Bham so not too far from you.  I have some spare parts if you are interested.  know that tanks, rear cowls, gauge clusters, and aluminum side panels, and center stands are hard to find parts.

"when in doubt figure it out"
99 SV 650
89 CB-1
03 TTR -225
04 XR 80
Yam tri-zinger
86 Elite 80
04 Burgman
10 Aprilia Sport City
86 passport 70
73 ST 90
Pages: [1]